1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 Speakers and Call Volume

Is it just me or are these extremely bad? When I'm playing my music on my computer at a moderate volume and I receive a text message, I don't always hear the notification tone (volume maxed) even though I notice the vibrate. Same thing with phone calls. I was talking to someone and the volume was so low I had to get somewhere absolutely quiet to hear anything. I don't know if that has to do with the service, but I got full bars on T-Mobile. Anyone else having issues with that?

Default Re: Nexus 4 Speakers and Call Volume

Uhh,.. yeah, they are pretty bad. Heard it's tinny but your speakers might be a little low. Who knows.

Call volume is terrible. Can hardly hear a thing when the phone is to the ear. Head phone jack is bad too. Sound is ok through bluetooth . Its a shame such a wonderful phone has a terrible flaw like this. Google/LG please fix this.
    Thanked by:
    jossos 

I agree - I never seem to hear the phone or text messages come in. Thankfully there's a notification light.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by red5ive1 View Post
    I agree - I never seem to hear the phone or text messages come in. Thankfully there's a notification light.
    I find call volume great. Other volume is bad and speakers are weak.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Speaker placement is very poor IMHO as well...really gets muffled out if laying flat on desk/table

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Even I m facing the same problem, such a big brand with such a big flaw....its a shame...the basic purpose of using a phone is not being solved rest of the features come later. Even on a basic old Nokia phone we can hear the caller properly...big disappointment.

Global Posts
    794 Global Posts

I concur except the calling part. Phone calling is fine, certainly not the best. The loud speaker just sucks! Terrible speakers.

However, I heard somewhere that you can increase the volume of the loud speaker by routing the phone and installing some special application. If you do search here or Google, you will find it.

Good luck!

Posted via Android Central App

The N4 seems to be more sensitive than most phones regarding positioning against the ear. I find that moving it even a few millimeters in any direction can have a huge impact on the perceived sound level.

As to the volume of the ringer, try different ringtones. If I recall correctly, the Pyxis ringtone is by far the loudest of the stock ringtones and will break through any other sound in the room. I typically use the Hangout ringtone however and find that it is not unusual for me to miss a call while watching TV or even if the phone is in my front pocket while I am in any environment with background noise - the grocery store, for example. But, the Pyxis ringtone will wake the dead.

Also, when the phone is sitting on my desk or another flat surface, I always place it screen down/speaker up. Of course, I use a TPU case ( Amazon.com: i-Blason Slim Fit S Line Flexible TPU Case for Google Nexus 4 Smart Phone E960 LG 8gb 16gb (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories ) which has a raised rim around the screen thus the screen never actually comes into contact with the desk/table/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    The N4 seems to be more sensitive than most phones regarding positioning against the ear. I find that moving it even a few millimeters in any direction can have a huge impact on the perceived sound level.

As to the volume of the ringer, try different ringtones. If I recall correctly, the Pyxis ringtone is by far the loudest of the stock ringtones and will break through any other sound in the room. I typically use the Hangout ringtone however and find that it is not unusual for me to miss a call while watching TV or even if the phone is in my front pocket while I am in any environment with background noise - the grocery store, for example. But, the Pyxis ringtone will wake the dead.

Also, when the phone is sitting on my desk or another flat surface, I always place it screen down/speaker up. Of course, I use a TPU case ( Amazon.com: i-Blason Slim Fit S Line Flexible TPU Case for Google Nexus 4 Smart Phone E960 LG 8gb 16gb (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories ) which has a raised rim around the screen thus the screen never actually comes into contact with the desk/table/etc.
    I agree, the Pyxis ringtone will wake up the dead.