Just curious...anyone know why Google Voice can't send MMS?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I know there are a few exceptions, like some kind of Sprint deal, and a few folks had it work for a week or so on TMo, but I was just wondering if anyone knew what the problem is with Google Voice being able to send MMS. Seems like a pretty simple thing for such a techno giant like Google. Outside of sending via your cell phones actual number, is there any other work around (besides using email)?

HavnFunHere

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I know there are a few exceptions, like some kind of Sprint deal, and a few folks had it work for a week or so on TMo, but I was just wondering if anyone knew what the problem is with Google Voice being able to send MMS. Seems like a pretty simple thing for such a techno giant like Google. Outside of sending via your cell phones actual number, is there any other work around (besides using email)?

I AM ON T-MO and I can send MMS text with no problems. I just sent one after reading your above post. What carrier are you on?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I AM ON T-MO and I can send MMS text with no problems. I just sent one after reading your above post. What carrier are you on?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

I'm on TMo as well (the $30 plan). Do you have all your cell/text traffic on your phone go through Google Voice?

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't remember where I saw the article (I will look for it) but it boils down to this:

SMS is a standard that all carriers have embraced.

MMS on the other hand is sent to the phone differently by each carrier, so in order for MMS to be sent to the phone, Google has to work out deals with each carrier, and some have been willing (Sprint) and other have not (every other US carrier).

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't remember where I saw the article (I will look for it) but it boils down to this:

SMS is a standard that all carriers have embraced.

MMS on the other hand is sent to the phone differently by each carrier, so in order for MMS to be sent to the phone, Google has to work out deals with each carrier, and some have been willing (Sprint) and other have not (every other US carrier).

Well that just sucks.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Well that just sucks.

Yep. And the Sprint deal ends on 12-31-12 so who knows what that means...

They're working on it (or work-arounds in some cases) but it's been years and I've stopped factoring the possibility of it in to my decisions.

When it comes, I'll reassess, until then...

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yep. And the Sprint deal ends on 12-31-12 so who knows what that means...

They're working on it (or work-arounds in some cases) but it's been years and I've stopped factoring the possibility of it in to my decisions.

When it comes, I'll reassess, until then...

didn't know that deal ends this month. That's one of the feature I really missed from sprint. gv text and mms is still not the best. One of the reason why I only use gv lite now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
didn't know that deal ends this month.

Sadly, the only reference I can find to it is wikipedia, but I was working with Sprint to figure out why I was having trouble with MMS and my Nexus S 4G and the tech told me the same thing - that the MMS thing was going away soon. Upon hearing that I dumped Sprint, bought the N4 and use DeskSMS to text from my laptop and tablet. Great idea, but the lack of MMS makes it unusable for me.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Sadly, the only reference I can find to it is wikipedia, but I was working with Sprint to figure out why I was having trouble with MMS and my Nexus S 4G and the tech told me the same thing - that the MMS thing was going away soon. Upon hearing that I dumped Sprint, bought the N4 and use DeskSMS to text from my laptop and tablet. Great idea, but the lack of MMS makes it unusable for me.

desk sms is an interesting app, going to have to look into it. This will be useful for traveling overseas. won't matter as much since I can't install it on my work pc. haha, i love texting ppl on my computer at work without taking out my phone when I had the Sprint Google voice integration. I work in a bank, sometimes I would sneak in a text to my girlfriend while opening account for a customer. :D

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site

Lack of MMS makes it unusable? Why is that? I've been using google voice for a while and I don't miss picture messaging. If they need to send a picture they just email it. Big deal? I prefer free texting over anything. Google voice is super convenient too.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Lack of MMS makes it unusable? Why is that? I've been using google voice for a while and I don't miss picture messaging. If they need to send a picture they just email it. Big deal? I prefer free texting over anything. Google voice is super convenient too.

haha, you don't get free texting from your carrier? Try to tell your gf to not send you mms, but email you instead. mine will just say it's too much trouble. also group text is very useful when I try to plan an event with a group of ppl. like going to movies. Yes, I know email can replace all the things I said, but when most of your friends like to communicate through text or mms, it's hard to be the only person who can't get them. I love Google voice, but their app still isn't the best for texting and the lack of MMS support is just not acceptable for most ppl.

cstixx

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I can't send mms via gvoice app itself but have no issues sending them via my phones message screen. As far as receiving I get a text saying a mms has been received. Only way to see actual mms is to open gmail and check my gmail, text folder.

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
haha, you don't get free texting from your carrier? Try to tell your gf to not send you mms, but email you instead. mine will just say it's too much trouble. also group text is very useful when I try to plan an event with a group of ppl. like going to movies. Yes, I know email can replace all the things I said, but when most of your friends like to communicate through text or mms, it's hard to be the only person who can't get them. I love Google voice, but their app still isn't the best for texting and the lack of MMS support is just not acceptable for most ppl.

I don't have a carrier. And whenever my GF wanted to send me a picture she just emailed it. She isn't THAT lazy.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I can't send mms via gvoice app itself but have no issues sending them via my phones message screen. As far as receiving I get a text saying a mms has been received. Only way to see actual mms is to open gmail and check my gmail, text folder.

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

Are you on Sprint?

Andrewbarnes77

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You might want to take a look at PopMyPhone - it can forward SMS and MMS to any email address (including your work one) and you don't need to install anything on your PC. You can reply by email and the SMS goes from your phone, so no carrier restrictions.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
You might want to take a look at PopMyPhone - it can forward SMS and MMS to any email address (including your work one) and you don't need to install anything on your PC. You can reply by email and the SMS goes from your phone, so no carrier restrictions.

Google voice numbers don't receive the MMS on the first place, do that service will have nothing to forward.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Sorry - I lost track of this thread.

The main reason is actually not pictures (though it can be annoying), but text messages coming as MMS. Multiple party/Group texts sent from iPhones (and at least my Nexus 4 as well thus far) are now sent as MMS, not SMS. So not only do I not receive them, there is no notification sent to the sender that I didn't get it.

The majority of the leadership in my office use iPhones and send group texts that I wasn't receiving when I switched my main number to GV only. Like I wouldn't want someone to tell me to use an iPhone, I'm not in a position to tell them not use iPhones (or group texts) just to make up for a shortfall of Google Voice.

Thus it is unusable for me. YMMV.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry - I lost track of this thread.

The main reason is actually not pictures (though it can be annoying), but text messages coming as MMS. Multiple party/Group texts sent from iPhones (and at least my Nexus 4 as well thus far) are now sent as MMS, not SMS. So not only do I not receive them, there is no notification sent to the sender that I didn't get it.

The majority of the leadership in my office use iPhones and send group texts that I wasn't receiving when I switched my main number to GV only. Like I wouldn't want someone to tell me to use an iPhone, I'm not in a position to tell them not use iPhones (or group texts) just to make up for a shortfall of Google Voice.

Thus it is unusable for me. YMMV.

Sounds like a good company man is forced to use an Iphone in this scenario. You have my condolences. I would probably look for a more progressive company to work for at this point. lol

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a good company man is forced to use an Iphone in this scenario. You have my condolences. I would probably look for a more progressive company to work for at this point. lol

Or I can just not use Google Voice, which is a much better solution (and the point I'm making in this thread).

When GV gets MMS support (and it's bound to happen at some point) I'll reassess, but until then it's Nexus 4 and no GV, and I'm perfectly happy with that.