Some N4 questions from a new android user...

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 4 for a few days now and I am really enjoying it. Coming from Blackberry since 2008, I have few questions that maybe some of you on this forum can help with:

1. Is there a native setting that turns off led, sound and vibration while the phone charges but allows for calls. I usually charge my phone at night next to my bed and would like calls to come through but nothing else. BB had this with bedside mode and when I would dock the phone it would kill all notifications except for calls. Oh I am using the free version of LightFlow.

2. Anyway for pausing/stopping music with the volume rocker while listening to music? I hate to have to take the phone out and stop/pause using the screen. Also is there anyway of skipping tracks by long pressing the volume rocker? Not sure if this is an android or LG issue.

3. I've noticed that sometimes I get 2 quick vibrations or one long vibration for certain notifications. Is there a native setting to set this? I usually just see vibration on or off but no other options.

4. I was listening to music yesterday when I received a call but decided to ignore it. The music didn't continue to play after the ringing ended. Is this a bug?

Overall, I am really impressed with the device. Everything is super smooth and a pleasure to use. Deciding if I want to get rid of my case and just use the phone naked. Feels too good in the hand to cover it up...we'll see.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
2. Anyway for pausing/stopping music with the volume rocker while listening to music? I hate to have to take the phone out and stop/pause using the screen. Also is there anyway of skipping tracks by long pressing the volume rocker? Not sure if this is an android or LG issue.
Not sure about this but you can just get headphones that can stop and pause. I'll get more answers when I finally GET my nexus 4 lol...

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about this but you can just get headphones that can stop and pause. I'll get more answers when I finally GET my nexus 4 lol...
I don't think this is possible. It is one feature I really missed on my BB.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So you were a BB user. What are you using to replace bedside mode?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

AuntieJimbo

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I must say, I'm finding all of this ultra teddy talk rather intimidating! I've had iPhones for four years, so I'm already a bit nervous about the learning curve here. APNs? Roots? ROMs? Oh my. So, can a person just turn on the phone and go? I'm having visions of myself staring in confusion at this phone (if it ever arrives).

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I must say, I'm finding all of this ultra teddy talk rather intimidating! I've had iPhones for four years, so I'm already a bit nervous about the learning curve here. APNs? Roots? ROMs? Oh my. So, can a person just turn on the phone and go? I'm having visions of myself staring in confusion at this phone (if it ever arrives).

If you're new to Android I would stay with stock (out of the box) the for a while. Then you can find out if you really need the features that requiring rooting or if apps can address them.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The APN is the settings that connect your phone to the network. If you're using AT&T you might have to play around to get the right settings, otherwise it should work right out of the box.

All the other stuff is for phone nerds who like to fudge around with stuff. Most people just turn the phone on and use it as is. :)

AuntieJimbo

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes, AT&T. And I want to be a phone nerd, too, but maybe nothing beyond a TARDIS case for the phone itself. That'll do.
Ok, so note to self- fiddle with APN. Thanks!

marty331

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently working on an app that will mute notifications at night. I could probably do the same when charging.

I'll let you know when it's ready to test if you're interested.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
1. Is there a native setting that turns off led, sound and vibration while the phone charges but allows for calls. I usually charge my phone at night next to my bed and would like calls to come through but nothing else. BB had this with bedside mode and when I would dock the phone it would kill all notifications except for calls. Oh I am using the free version of LightFlow.

I've been using the free app, 'Quick Profiles' from Google Play store. I've been using it for a couple years when I got my Droid Bionic and now on my Nexus4. You can customize to your hearts content on calls, notifications, media notifications, call volume, alarm volume, etc.
I have 4 profiles setup:
Home (everything on)
Work (more quieter notifications/calls on)
Silent (everything completely off - bedtime)
Work oncall (All notifications off, but allow phone calls). This sounds like what your particularly interested in?

Good luck and welcome to the Android community! :)