Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Default Re: Considering Jumping on the Android Bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhistGirafe View Post
    Hmm this is becoming even more compelling. Now what about the Optimus G? any suggestions on that? I think it is down to the OneX plus and the Optimus G
    Apparently:
    Optimus G = Same insides as Nexus four but
    - Plastic
    -More expensive
    - worse battery life
    - LTE
    - 13 m.p
    - 32gb
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

The Optimus G is a great phone, and the Optimus ui is pretty nice. I'd almost recommend it over the one x plus because it a bit more future proof with the best Android chipset currently on the market and 2 gigs of Ram.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Take everyone's opinion into consideration but if you want a cheap phone, Nexus 4 is your choice. The Nexus 4 is also the most powerful smart phone right now for android but the storage space is lacking and that's when you would want to jump to another phone. Like i said before, the S3 is a great choice but you can't go run with the GNex either if you like how the google nexus 4 looks.

Yeah I have a hard time with this subject because I looked at 3 phones myself in light of the nexus 4 shortage, and I really liked the one X plus the best, just worried its going to be this year's vivid, and get phased out too quickly just like the vivid.

But if you don't care about software updates then it's fine. It's fast, powerful, and a ton of local storage. And simply put its the best looking android phone out there.

Really imo its completely up to date with software currently as far as I'm concerned. I got 4.2 on my Nexus 7, and imo its kind of a nexus centric update. Most of its features are already available on sense anyway. I could see a lot of oems just passing on 4.2 honestly

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by cormaster628; 12-16-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cormaster628 View Post
    If you wanna go that route get an s3, you'll need to root and install a custom rom, and Samsungs are practically designed for that sort of thing. HTCs are a headache, only buy an HTC if you like sense and can accept the phone the way it is. Speaking from experience with my former HTC Flyer and my current HTC Vivid.

Really? That's bad news for me. I'm shopping for a new phone, and I want something that I can upgrade. But the Nexus isn't an option -- it doesn't have enough storage, and I am frequently in places where I don't have good data connectivity. I am really dumbfounded that so many people are satisfied with storing everything in the cloud. Good for you, but that's a non-starter for me. I forget why I thought the HTC would be better than the Samsung, but maybe I need to re-think that.

Oh -- now I remember! I've heard people complain about the quality of the radios in the Samsung, and say that the HTC radios are better. True? Again, I have mediocre connectivity, and a good radio makes the difference between being on-line and off-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    Really? That's bad news for me. I'm shopping for a new phone, and I want something that I can upgrade. But the Nexus isn't an option -- it doesn't have enough storage, and I am frequently in places where I don't have good data connectivity. I am really dumbfounded that so many people are satisfied with storing everything in the cloud. Good for you, but that's a non-starter for me. I forget why I thought the HTC would be better than the Samsung, but maybe I need to re-think that.

Oh -- now I remember! I've heard people complain about the quality of the radios in the Samsung, and say that the HTC radios are better. True? Again, I have mediocre connectivity, and a good radio makes the difference between being on-line and off-line.
    Lol honestly Googles sd card policy is ridiculous. I basically am deciding I can live with the sacrifices myself, but would prefer not to.

I still say s3 is your best bet. I owned a Samsung Captivate (basically a Galaxy s1 but at&ts version) before it's ridiculously easy to hack, no locked bootloader, 1 click root programs a plenty, even a 1 click revert to stock program. Samsung cut it off at gingerbread but it still being supported by cyanogenmod. That's why I can't stress the gs3 enough. If you can't deal with the nexus 4s sacrifices, really its the only phone to get!

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    ROM
    touch wiz

I haven't personally seen anyone who came over to the "dark side" lol have any regrets. I think the freedom that you'll experience by switching over will be refreshing.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Ok so here is my final update on the choices haha. I can get an One X+ 64GB, Optimus G or an GS3 for 300 with a contract renewal, or I can get a Nexus 4 for 360 unlocked. Any final thoughts?

...or I can get a Nexus 4 for 360 unlocked. Any final thoughts?
    Which N4 are you able to get for 360$? If the 8GB forget it, get the 16GB.
    If totally unable to get the 16GB N4, I guess get the Optimus G.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhoj View Post
    The 16GB is $359 CDN

Agreed. 8GB=only 5GB free, 16GB=14.7GB or something, if you are going to put anything worthwhile on the Nexus 4 8GB, you'll run out of space soon enough
    badbrad17 likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by cormaster628 View Post
    Yeah I have a hard time with this subject because I looked at 3 phones myself in light of the nexus 4 shortage, and I really liked the one X plus the best, just worried its going to be this year's vivid, and get phased out too quickly just like the vivid.

But if you don't care about software updates then it's fine. It's fast, powerful, and a ton of local storage. And simply put its the best looking android phone out there.

Really imo its completely up to date with software currently as far as I'm concerned. I got 4.2 on my Nexus 7, and imo its kind of a nexus centric update. Most of its features are already available on sense anyway. I could see a lot of oems just passing on 4.2 honestly

But no Photosphere which, had it been released on an Apple product would have been "mind blowing".

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Ok so here is my final update on the choices haha. I can get an One X+ 64GB, Optimus G or an GS3 for 300 with a contract renewal, or I can get a Nexus 4 for 360 unlocked. Any final thoughts?
    I honesty don't think you could lose with any of these phones. My pick would be in order:
    1. Nexus 4
    2. One X+
    3. GS3
    4. Optimus G

Android Evangelist

The 16GB is $359 CDN
    You mean Play Store price? And with shipping & taxes is around 400$, right? If so, ya get that.
    What's the wait time from the Canadian store?

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

You mean Play Store price? And with shipping & taxes is around 400$, right? If so, ya get that.
    What's the wait time from the Canadian store?
    Forever.

Android Evangelist

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Agreed. 8GB=only 5GB free, 16GB=14.7GB or something, if you are going to put anything worthwhile on the Nexus 4 8GB, you'll run out of space soon enough
    I was on the fence about storage too since I rarely store music locally but what made me go after the 16GB version is that let's face it apps are only going to get larger over time.
    Jussumguy88 and badbrad17 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilkins View Post
    I was on the fence about storage too since I rarely store music locally but what made me go after the 16GB version is that let's face it apps are only going to get larger over time.
    Well I mean no app will be over, let's say 50MB, unless your going for a game (I'm just guessing right now, I haven't seen any apps bigger than 50MB) But yeah, this phone is going to be relevant for a long time too, just like GNex is still relevant even with the Nexus 4.
    But hey, I'm going to be storing music, pictures, oh and video. If you are going to shoot video, the space depletes rapidly on the 8GB.

The S3 is on sale today at Best Buy, $50 with contract for any carrier. Sounds like if storage is important to you, that's the way to go. But I personally think the N4 is the best Android phone out there.

You're brave to try the switch. I had the iPhone 3G and loved it. At the time, it was the best phone out there. But I wanted more control, and when the Nexus One came out I jumped ship as soon as I could (even paid an ETF to get out of my contract with AT&T). I have never looked back, and I think the Android platform is far superior (accepting the fact that games are better on the iOS platform, but I don't play mobile games). However, if I was in the iOS environment for as long as you, I probably would have a hard time switching. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy_sunset View Post
    The S3 is on sale today at Best Buy, $50 with contract for any carrier. Sounds like if storage is important to you, that's the way to go. But I personally think the N4 is the best Android phone out there.

You're brave to try the switch. I had the iPhone 3G and loved it. At the time, it was the best phone out there. But I wanted more control, and when the Nexus One came out I jumped ship as soon as I could (even paid an ETF to get out of my contract with AT&T). I have never looked back, and I think the Android platform is far superior (accepting the fact that games are better on the iOS platform, but I don't play mobile games). However, if I was in the iOS environment for as long as you, I probably would have a hard time switching. Good luck.
    $49 dollars with a two year contract, imo that is still a bit expensive, especially since you still have to have the phone for two years. Can't really upgrade during that time if you want. This is still a good deal (I think, do the math) but not the best out there.

I just said this in another thread, but whatever phone you get, make sure it's an unlocked gsm phone. You will have no contract and way lower monthly bill if you go with an mvno like straight talk or solavei.

If you need lte or like to pay exorbitant monthly fees, then this won't work.

Sent from my mako ()

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Well I mean no app will be over, let's say 50MB, unless your going for a game (I'm just guessing right now, I haven't seen any apps bigger than 50MB) But yeah, this phone is going to be relevant for a long time too, just like GNex is still relevant even with the Nexus 4.
    But hey, I'm going to be storing music, pictures, oh and video. If you are going to shoot video, the space depletes rapidly on the 8GB.
    Some games are definately getting big.

Android Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    Some games are definately getting big.

I know but not apps. Hell, Modern Combat 4 is near 2 GB.
    Thanked by:
    badbrad17 likes this.

Yeah but games are a moot point unless you got a phone like the one X plus that has a ridiculously amount of local storage. SD won't help you with game data, it installs to the default partition regardless which will be your emmc.

HTC One-X puts all other phones to shame right now, the only problem I see is that it is HTC. I am not a big fan of them. I personally have the droid razr maxx and have loved it. I have flashed numerous ROMs on it and just the versitality of it is amazing. Google Android vs Apple and that will give you all the answers you need.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp4him3 View Post
    HTC One-X puts all other phones to shame right now, the only problem I see is that it is HTC. I am not a big fan of them. I personally have the droid razr maxx and have loved it. I have flashed numerous ROMs on it and just the versitality of it is amazing. Google Android vs Apple and that will give you all the answers you need.
    The x+ isn't perfect though. It's got tegra and only a gig of ram. Fine for now but how future proof is that? That's my concern. Imo any phone I get now I want it to be good enough for 2 years of support, and I don't want a newer version of android to cause it to lag like crazy because it needs more ram or worse yet, a canceled update because htc finds it just doesn't have enough ram to run both the new version and sense too.

Really the only flaw, 1 gig is fine now but 2 gigs is the future.

Also if you buy an HTC you gotta accept it for what it is or you'll hate it. They are kind of a developers nightmare when it comes to custom firmware and updates are few and far between.

I say again the gs3 is your best bet. It's got jelly bean now and has all the features you seek. You can't deal with cloud then grab a 64 gig sd and stick it in there. Hate TouchWiz? Put cm on it.

I knew nothing about this stuff and didn't even learn how to use adb until I got my HTC Flyer. They got so many one click tools any ***** can put cm on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast