Considering Jumping on the Android Bandwagon

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I rarely visit this side of the mobilenations spectrum. I am an avid Apple user and have had every iteration of the iPhone since it's launch, but I didn't upgrade to the 5. I am still using my 4S and it is definitely starting to feel dated. The biggest thing that stopped me from jumping onto the 5 was the screen, the length increase an awkward dimension. None the less this leaves me here. I am hoping you guys don't throw me in the shark tank for being an Apple guy on an Android board.

So here is my situation. I am seriously considering getting a Nexus 4 when they are available, and when it was first announced I had my Visa in hand waiting to order, but I started to think about the changes I would have to make and this is what brings me here. I want a new device, my hardware seems old and dated and iOS is starting to look boring to me. It has been the same since day 1 and the interface is just meh at this point. Seems like a no brainer to switch, but I am heavily invested in the Apple world I am looking for suggestions on how to get out / switch. 1) the storage constraint seems very troubling to me. I have over 40GBs of music on my 4S and I intend to keep it on my device and if at all possible would like to keep everything as one, IE, phone, music player etc on one, as opposed to just using my phone as an iPod. 2) iCloud. I have iCloud email, contacts, calendars and notes. Is there any easy transition to Google's services with this ? 3) Syncing to computer - as I said, I am invested. Currently I am typing this on a Retina Macbook Pro and I know things like doubletwist exist, just not sure how good they are. So I guess overall I am just looking for suggestions as to how to make the switch, and maybe any pros / cons from people who have made the switch.

I appreciate it for anyone who decided to bear through my essay.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Eh, android isn't really a bandwagon compared to Apple and hey, I was an apple guy too. Got their ipod two years ago (doesn't really make me avid does it) and I got the 4th generation. Sold the 4th to get the Nexus 4, a much better deal. I don't see a problem with the Apple screen though, sure it makes a lot of apps seem odd because they aren't optimized and some videos have black on the edges even if they are widescreen (which makes it seem like it's more squarish) it isn't that big. They have a ton of apps on their market and it'll take some time for the apps to be optimized

What I say is that don't get a Nexus 4 unless you want to wait. S3 might be a better option because the hardware is almost the same but the S3 has a bigger screen. Also you can expand it. The people selling Nexus 4 on ebay are complete rip offs and you shouldn't go for that. Either get the S3 if you are impatient or wait for the Nexus 4.
1. You have google play music, where you store over 20,000 songs (that can be over 60GB)
2. There isn't really but you put everything into the google account and from there you can sync with other devices when you sign in
3. There is NO syncing (I think) just drag and drop with a program, MUCH easier than apple. I hate ing iTunes syncing, kept getting me confused
One big thing to keep in mind, the 8GB only gives about 5GB of actual space and the 16GB gives about 14.7GB I think. 8GB is not worth it if you are going to put music

One other thing, rooting your device will give you titanium backup, where you can put your things and restore your device much easier than iCloud.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
See the issue with the music is Google Play Music isn't yet available in Canada. I think I will take a look at the S3, but the plastic on it has me worried.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
See the issue with the music is Google Play Music isn't yet available in Canada. I think I will take a look at the S3, but the plastic on it has me worried.

It'll probably come into Canada in some time, not sure when but yeah probably don't want a Nexus 4 then. The plastic on the S3 is the good thing, it doesn't break, it just snaps off and then you just have to put it back on. You can also get to the battery from here and change it.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

The great thing about Android is variety - you can find a phone with the features that matter most to you. Once you find that phone, we'll be happy to help you get set up with Google services to replace iCloud, music management programs to replace iTunes, etc. The Applications Forum is a good place to start if you want the names of some good iTunes alternatives.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Get a Note II, or a Nexus 4, and never look back! I ditched my iPhone 4 for an S3, and now a Nexus 4, and love it. I've got a MacBook Pro that I'm typing this on, an iPad 3, and Apple TV. Yet my Android phones have integrated nicely. Load all of your music on to your Android device via "Android File Transfer", and call it a day. You can still download music via iTunes and upload to your android device, that's what I do.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You can use Stealthy to spoof your ip and set up an account. Very easy to do.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I switched too. No regrets. Start with Nexus because that's the "cleanest" Android experience. Then you can decide after that what exactly you want.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I think I'll second the S3 and the One X+

Love what HTC is doing these days. Terrific build quality, screens, hardware. For me, though Sense is garbage.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah if music is your concern, one x+ is the perfect alternative for you. 64 gigs of storage, and it's screen is gorgeous and it has beats audio and a beautiful design. Sense 4 is also very nice on it.

I ordered a nexus 4 but if I was going to get a carrier phone, it would be the one X plus

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Also this may be a stupid question. But is there any way to run vanilla android on say an HTC OneX? Or are you stuck with the version on that device?
The only way is to root the phone then run a near vanilla Rom on it. This would be like jail breaking your iPhone.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My music solution with N4 might also be your ultimate solution. You obviously get the 16gb to access on the phone, but I am also using the free 50GB box cloud storage you get with the phone to host my entire library and then I simply stream it instantly to the phone with the CloudAround app. Of course having an unlimited data acocunt and/or wifi access at all times makes that more useful.

I guess the most painful thing would be all the apps you purchased for IOS not transferring.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My music solution with N4 might also be your ultimate solution. You obviously get the 16gb to access on the phone, but I am also using the free 50GB box cloud storage you get with the phone to host my entire library and then I simply stream it instantly to the phone with the CloudAround app. Of course having an unlimited data acocunt and/or wifi access at all times makes that more useful.

I guess the most painful thing would be all the apps you purchased for IOS not transferring.
Great solution. The money he saves buying a N4 will out weigh any investment he has made in ios. Android offers so many more free alternatives than ios too.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Also this may be a stupid question. But is there any way to run vanilla android on say an HTC OneX? Or are you stuck with the version on that device?

You can via unofficial ports, but there may be important features broken for a long time as the developers work the bugs out.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hmm this is becoming even more compelling. Now what about the Optimus G? any suggestions on that? I think it is down to the OneX plus and the Optimus G

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
What I say is that don't get a Nexus 4 unless you want to wait. S3 might be a better option because the hardware is almost the same but the S3 has a bigger screen. Also you can expand it. The people selling Nexus 4 on ebay are complete rip offs and you shouldn't go for that. Either get the S3 if you are impatient or wait for the Nexus 4.
1. You have google play music, where you store over 20,000 songs (that can be over 60GB)
2. There isn't really but you put everything into the google account and from there you can sync with other devices when you sign in
3. There is NO syncing (I think) just drag and drop with a program, MUCH easier than apple. I hate ing iTunes syncing, kept getting me confused
One big thing to keep in mind, the 8GB only gives about 5GB of actual space and the 16GB gives about 14.7GB I think. 8GB is not worth it if you are going to put music

One other thing, rooting your device will give you titanium backup, where you can put your things and restore your device much easier than iCloud.

Regarding iCloud syncing, contrary to Hubertsng's belief, you can sync your mail, contacts, and calendar on an Android device using these apps. Email is done through the email app, no workaround needed. No way to sync notes but Evernote is a great free solution that is far more robust and allows you to sync notes across all of your devices (Mac or PC, iDevice or Android).

Also, as Hubertsng advised, Titanium Backup is a great app for backing up your data and really is a must as back via your Google account is next to useless as it does not back up any app data as is done via iCloud or iTunes. And in order to use any third party backup solution, you must root your device--not difficult but required.

FWIW, I'm also a heavy Apple user but picked up a Nexus 4 and am enjoying it so far, for the most part. The device itself is rock solid--best materials and build quality of any Android device I've seen and screams along with Jelly Bean.

And I see you said you're in Canada and Google Music isn't available to you yet but if you can set it up with a spoofed IP, it's a great service--as long as you don't have data limitations.