Play Store sold out again?

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Some may have noticed this but I just went on the play store to check out how long it would take for those who preorder 16GB nexus 4.
Well it's changed. For both the 8 and 16GB, there is an error saying they are out and you can no longer preorder it as you were able to two weeks ago. This is just in the United States, what about you guys in different countries? Well the fact they aren't getting preorders anymore might mean they are going to complete the orders again and finally give me my long awaited nexus 4!

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
eh, some people called it a preorder.

Some people are wrong. I would call it more of a lottery for how hard it is to get one. I would expect better luck after the first of the year. Maybe a replenishment to fulfill all the orders hopefully. I heard T-Mobile is getting or already got more but I would never pay $500 off contract or $200 on contract.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

kobradroid

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Awww, crap. I was planning on moving a 3 line family plan over from sprint to t-mobile to take advantage of the cheaper prices and get in on the N4 love. Finally took the plunge on Wednesday, but thanks to the 2 phone limit I had to split my order. I ordered 2 phones on one google account and then about 5 minutes later I ordered an additional phone on a different account. Well, I received the second order on Friday (couldn't believe it was so fast!), but we haven't received any updates on the first order with 2 phones. I know it's not a real problem, but it's still annoying to have 1 N4 sitting around while we wait potentially 6-7 weeks for its brothers. I suppose c'est la vie!

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I really can't understand what's going on. Either this is the hottest Android device or only a few thousand were only manufactured. I think not enough were manufactured. People like myself are waiting for exchanges and this situation is making it a long wait.

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I really can't understand what's going on. Either this is the hottest Android device or only a few thousand were only manufactured. I think not enough were manufactured. People like myself are waiting for exchanges and this situation is making it a long wait.

It's probably a little bit of both. The phone was hot and people wanted it and Google didn't order enough devices to be prepared.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The biggest fail from day one was not having pre orders. What they should of done was make the launch date December 1st and take preorders from the time of the announcement through the first week. Then they could of properly gauged interest and ordered enough supply to fulfill all preorders and had enough on hand in December where people can order one and get it in 2-3 days.

Overall it's been a disaster, this is just simply one of the worst product launches ever. And to make matters worse, Google is saying nothing and ignoring the problem. It's been said Google doesn't care about sales they just make these things for developers, and the way the handled the launch it kind of backs up the theory.

Personally my thoughts are they based supply off Galaxy Nexus sales which were poor. But there was a good reason for that, because by the time you could buy one off the play store it was a pretty dated phone and people knew googles next flagship was right around the corner. People who had to have a phone then could get more up to date devices like the Galaxy S3 or One X.

At any rate there is a sigh of relief coming from me. I ordered on the 4th and expected to wait 5-6 weeks, however after I started reading about people placing orders the same day and getting one, I started stressing over it, placing extra orders and religiously checking my credit card, Google play order history, and wallet history hoping one of my orders would allow me to cheat the wait. Now all orders are canceled except my December 4th order and I can just sit back, relax and wait for a shipping notice. I would like to hope Google can now get enough demand to fulfill current orders quickly and efficiently but that'd probably just wishful thinking. Still they seemed to have no qualms about letting the wait time skyrocket before so I would like to think they pulled the plug for that reason.

For the next nexus I hope they learned a good lesson from this. 3 things they should do next time: #1. Partner with a big e-tailer such as amazon, newegg, or overstock to handle the orders to keep Google play from going to hell. #2. PreOrders! This whole situation could of been better by just doing this to begin with. And #3 go with a manufacturer that can supply them the quickest. I dunno if LG is the problem but it was said that Google axed HTC for Samsung because Samsung controls its own supply chain and can crank up supply better. But still I dunno if LG is the problem anyway, I imagine it's more that Google didn't order enough initial stock to begin with.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The biggest fail from day one was not having pre orders. What they should of done was make the launch date December 1st and take preorders from the time of the announcement through the first week. Then they could of properly gauged interest and ordered enough supply to fulfill all preorders and had enough on hand in December where people can order one and get it in 2-3 days.

Overall it's been a disaster, this is just simply one of the worst product launches ever. And to make matters worse, Google is saying nothing and ignoring the problem.

This same thing happened with the Nexus 7 except they did take pre orders for it. But the whole thing was pretty much all the same for a few months. I ordered mine after the pre orders, and my date to ship kept getting pushed back then it would say out of order and so on and so on. Some people got their pre orders after they were sold in stores so it ended up taking longer for pre orders to be received then it would have been to go to a store and get it. This is not the first time they have screwed up. Hopefully this is the last time and they get this all fixed. But that's what I said after the Nexus 7 debacle.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
That's odd, I ordered my Nexus 7 after it came back in stock in August, and got it 2 days later.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Lucky you. It was a huge mess for a lot of people. And that's what I'm talking about. Some people that pre ordered were pushed back and delayed. I got mine in 2 weeks after I ordered it. People's credit cards kept getting charged and unchanged too. Which was so issue for me to.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Even LG said they only make as many phones as Google orders. Sounds like Google didn't anticipate such a hot item!

Or they are doing this as a publicity stunt to get more and more people to buy the phone! I honestly think it's probably because they didn't anticipate it but they did release to other countries even with the huge backorders still happening and it sold out in other countries really fast.... That could be a publicity stunt and so could be giving the phone to people that just bought it, to create more controversy and more people would hear of the phone. Google is a huge and smart company, I don't doubt it.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Some people are wrong. I would call it more of a lottery for how hard it is to get one. I would expect better luck after the first of the year. Maybe a replenishment to fulfill all the orders hopefully. I heard T-Mobile is getting or already got more but I would never pay $500 off contract or $200 on contract.

Most of the T-mobile stores in my area have none in stock not even a unit on the floor to demo. When I went to get my SIM card cut the guy was hoping I had already picked up the phone so he could see one in person.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Or they are doing this as a publicity stunt to get more and more people to buy the phone! I honestly think it's probably because they didn't anticipate it but they did release to other countries even with the huge backorders still happening and it sold out in other countries really fast.... That could be a publicity stunt and so could be giving the phone to people that just bought it, to create more controversy and more people would hear of the phone. Google is a huge and smart company, I don't doubt it.

They're a big, and smart company but they don't have a history in selling hardware like other OEM's.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The lg nexus 4 really not worth wait for me. I am happy I waited to see how Nexus 4 launch wait and I have decide to just stick with HTC. Good luck to you guys waiting for the Nexus 4.

I learned from Nexus 7 pre-orders not to order first. Then I learned from Nexus 4 launch that waiting for rush to pass is even worse then ordering first. Google is like this you can take your poison now or later? Its your choice. However Google could always screw next nexus launch even worse.

tmac9wr

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I ordered my Nexus 4 earlier this week. Google sent me a confirmation earlier in the week saying my order was received, etc...does anyone know if this recent sell-out will affect my order, or did I get in just before the door shut?