Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By FYourProblems
  • 1 Post By KitN
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    A couple of hours with the nexus 4 and I am really thinking of selling my iPhone 5 or at least giving it a vacation.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  2. #2  
    V-Tech's Avatar

    Posts
    380 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    Congrats on getting the phone. I'm still waiting for mine
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    Oh you will love it

    Sent from my Nexus 4
  4. #4  
    V-Tech's Avatar

    Posts
    380 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    Quote Originally Posted by iAngary View Post
    Oh you will love it

    Sent from my Nexus 4
    Care to give some more info like why do you think it's better than your iPhone 5? What makes it better?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    It's taking me some time but slowly configuring the phone and getting it to where I am liking it more as time goes.

    I am definitely liking the bigger screen which I think was the main reason I did jump to the 5 from 4S (If Apple did a proper 4" screen widening the screen I'd probably stayed)... I'm liking the camera better than the 4S too I think. HSPA+ speeds are higher than I got with the 4S, etc.

    A couple of little things I am missing that I am getting use to... like how swipe to delete is missing here and there, pressing pictures to save in various apps, missing the push yahoo email, etc.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    The iPhone 5 has superior hardware it is better than any phone in the market hardware wise.

    The issue is iOS, Apple didn't offer anything major when they released iOS 6 over iOS 5 that makes it significant.

    I remember Steve Jobs saying back in 2007 when he introduced the first iPhone that it was 5 years ahead of anything out there. And he was right I now see that Android is catching up fast.

    In the past I used Samsung Note and hated it, then I used HTC One X it was okay over all but not great. And now I am trying vanilla Android and so far it is amazing. At least new to me in a way.


    Sent from my Nexus 4
  7. #7  
    jd914's Avatar

    Posts
    693 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    Congrats, the Nexus 4 is a great phone. Welcome to the club


    Btw in also an iPhone 5 owner, I can't get myself to get rid of it but I can't get myself to use it since I love my Nexus4

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    Thanks

    Sent from my Nexus 4
  9. #9  
    V-Tech's Avatar

    Posts
    380 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    Quote Originally Posted by iAngary View Post
    The iPhone 5 has superior hardware it is better than any phone in the market hardware wise.

    The issue is iOS, Apple didn't offer anything major when they released iOS 6 over iOS 5 that makes it significant.

    I remember Steve Jobs saying back in 2007 when he introduced the first iPhone that it was 5 years ahead of anything out there. And he was right I now see that Android is catching up fast.

    In the past I used Samsung Note and hated it, then I used HTC One X it was okay over all but not great. And now I am trying vanilla Android and so far it is amazing. At least new to me in a way.


    Sent from my Nexus 4
    In 2007 i had the first version of the iPhone and it was amazing, it was one of the first (if not the first) true "smart" phone. I think that starting from the iPhone 4 then 4S and now 5 Apple stopped being so inventive and all of their new phones were basically updates/upgrades to the previous one. They always held something back in order to release a new version next time.

    Of course we need to thank Apple for starting it all, i believe that they made the rest of the companies make the phones we have now BUT if Apple will keep in the same road they are going in the past few years they will be behind the rest. Android today has an amazing OS (at least from what i read/see, my N4 will be my first Android) and Windows phones are getting better.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    I am also a converted Apple loyalist, I've had almost every iPhone since the 3G, and I just got my Nexus about 5 days ago. Let me tell you, this little guy blows iPhones out of the water. I thoroughly believe that up to the iPhone 4 Apple had cornered the market with superior build quality, the best OS, apps, etc. These days they've really fallen off though, the iPhone 5 is a huge disappointment and iOS is so stale you could make croutons out of it.

    Build quality on the N4 is stellar, the iPhone is still a hair better but this difference is now negligible. However, for me where it really shines is in the OS, it is now leaps and bounds more advanced than iOS. iOS hasn't changed much at all since they introduced it, and up to the iPhone 4 it was a great system, but nowadays iOS is left in the dust. Spending a week with Jelly Bean I had to go on my old iPhone to retrieve some things and it felt ancient.

    -A Happy N4 user.
    RyDawgBoston and Tidey_ like this.
  11. #11  
    V-Tech's Avatar

    Posts
    380 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    Quote Originally Posted by FYourProblems View Post
    I am also a converted Apple loyalist, I've had almost every iPhone since the 3G, and I just got my Nexus about 5 days ago. Let me tell you, this little guy blows iPhones out of the water. I thoroughly believe that up to the iPhone 4 Apple had cornered the market with superior build quality, the best OS, apps, etc. These days they've really fallen off though, the iPhone 5 is a huge disappointment and iOS is so stale you could make croutons out of it.

    Build quality on the N4 is stellar, the iPhone is still a hair better but this difference is now negligible. However, for me where it really shines is in the OS, it is now leaps and bounds more advanced than iOS. iOS hasn't changed much at all since they introduced it, and up to the iPhone 4 it was a great system, but nowadays iOS is left in the dust. Spending a week with Jelly Bean I had to go on my old iPhone to retrieve some things and it felt ancient.

    -A Happy N4 user.
    I always hated the fact that Apple (with iPhone/iPod and others stuff) limited you on almost everything. Customization for me is everything and iOS just doesnt let you do anything....
    I believe that the Apple fall started with the 4S when people expected something big after 4 and go nothing and now with 5 that again the changes was not that big.

    For the past 2 years i'm telling all my friends that Apple is slowing loosing market share and the rest of the companies will take over..... Not long from now when Apple wont have those huge lines before each release.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    There is a trade off to everything. I am having fun customizing the N4 the way I like it and over time I am getting the hang of finding everything... but IOS is rock solid and smooth and IMO so intuitive in learning the whole phone and there is a plus with not much ability to change some things and especially no variances in features from one carrier to another with their version like sense and touchwiz as well as hardware differences because it's all Apple.

    I am saying that from an IT standpoint ... I love giving users IOS devices and we pretty much allow only IOS devices. Android devices I would not want to support on our users lol. For enterprise I think it really doesnt get better if you can keep everyone on IOS. If we did deploy Androids, I would lock it down so hard you couldnt do wallpaper changes anyways lol... which users dont really need to be customizing so much,

    All apple needs to do is allow little updates... add a couple of widgets maybe, definitely increase the screen size proportionally to 4 to 4.3 or4.5" and that would make all the difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by V-Tech View Post
    I always hated the fact that Apple (with iPhone/iPod and others stuff) limited you on almost everything. Customization for me is everything and iOS just doesnt let you do anything....
    I believe that the Apple fall started with the 4S when people expected something big after 4 and go nothing and now with 5 that again the changes was not that big.

    For the past 2 years i'm telling all my friends that Apple is slowing loosing market share and the rest of the companies will take over..... Not long from now when Apple wont have those huge lines before each release.
  13. #13  
    V-Tech's Avatar

    Posts
    380 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    There is a trade off to everything. I am having fun customizing the N4 the way I like it and over time I am getting the hang of finding everything... but IOS is rock solid and smooth and IMO so intuitive in learning the whole phone and there is a plus with not much ability to change some things and especially no variances in features from one carrier to another with their version like sense and touchwiz as well as hardware differences because it's all Apple.

    I am saying that from an IT standpoint ... I love giving users IOS devices and we pretty much allow only IOS devices. Android devices I would not want to support on our users lol. For enterprise I think it really doesnt get better if you can keep everyone on IOS. If we did deploy Androids, I would lock it down so hard you couldnt do wallpaper changes anyways lol... which users dont really need to be customizing so much,

    All apple needs to do is allow little updates... add a couple of widgets maybe, definitely increase the screen size proportionally to 4 to 4.3 or4.5" and that would make all the difference.
    The market is divided in to different end users.

    There are the tech savvy people like us probably, and i want to have a phone where i can customize stuff and there are the simple users that just want a simple phone without to many trouble.

    Each has it's own different type of phones that are better for them.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    Agree

    Sent from my Nexus 4
  15. #15  
    KitN's Avatar

    Posts
    485 Posts
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    I've had my Nexus 4 for a month now. Came from several iPhones so I can comment on the differences and why the N4 won out over the iPhone for me:

    1. Unlocked out of the box: No jailbreaking. No unlocking. No hacking required. I can tweak it exactly how I want it with no need to do anything crazy out of the box!

    2. NFC: I do a bunch of NFC payments with my tablet (Nexus 7). I live in an area where a ton of places have NFC/PayPass payments! It's so easy and secure. The fact that no iPhone offers NFC is a major downer. I also transfer a ton of files and links and photos using NFC.

    3. Wireless Charging: You have no idea how handy this is until you try it and then someone takes it away, lol. I'm not going back to searching and fumbling for cords. I just drop this thing on the pad and it charges. I pick it up, do what I have to do then place it back down. Charges. My battery stays perpetually topped up without any thought or effort on my part whatsoever. Ease of use at its finest!

    4. Stale-***, tired OS: I'm tired of Apple's stale-*** OS. It looks the same as it did when it debuted in 2007. Having owned iPhones for YEARS, I'm done. Boring, plain, ugly, cluttered and uncustomizable. I can customize my N4 in so many different ways without hacking. I can change it to suit my mood or match my outfit.

    5. Faster Performance: I've had the iPhone 5. I now have an N4. I don't care what any benchmarks or fanboys say. In MY real world use, my N4 feels snappier, faster and more responsive than my iPhone 5. Period. (YMMV depending on your settings and the programs you put on it but mine is behaving faster than my iPhone.)

    6. Bigger screen: Some people like smaller screens. Some people like bigger screens but for me, the bigger the better! I'm tired of squinting at a 3.5-4" screen. Every fraction of an inch in screen real estate counts in my book.

    7. Open ecosystem: I'm tired of the beautiful but walled in garden that is iOS. I love the huge Dev community of Android. The things they cook up are amazing and would be neigh on impossible with an iOS device.

    8. iSheep Mentality/Uniqueness: I'm tired of the iSheep mentality. The mindless drones carrying an iPhone. You know your sh*t is played out when everyone and their 80 year old grandmother has one. The iPhone is played out! Time for something different. Time to "Think Different". Time to move onto something bigger, better and more unique... Time for a Nexus (4).

    These are just a few of the top reasons I choose the Nexus 4 over the iPhone. These reasons might not resonate with you. You might have your own reasons. Great. But these are some of mine and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

    Sent from my Nexus 4
    RyDawgBoston likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    Which one did you get / when did you order it ?
  17. #17  
    V-Tech's Avatar

    Posts
    380 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    Thanks for the info KitN.

    I dont have my N4 yet but one thing that i have to agree with you here is the "iSheep" as you call it.

    Just as a not, i bought the first iPhone in 2007 and still have it with another SIM from another country when i travel. For the past 4 years i use a BB.


    Yes, Apples started something amazing in 2007 and we should probably thank them for it or who knows if we would have the N4 now or any other amazing smartphones that are now in the market.
    BUT as other companies/OS developed and grew to become better and have a better product, Apple basically stayed the same. They made some changes to their OS to make it a bit better, they made some changes to the phone itself to make it look better and have better hardware but nothing major like their first amazing iPhone.

    For me it was after the 3GS that i began to understand that Apple is holding back, that they could do better but instead prefer to release a new phone every year but holding some stuff back so they would be able to make a new one next year. The 4S for example was probably the biggest disappointment for me (even though i dont use iPhone) where people expected to see a new and amazing phone but instead got the 4S, then came iPhone 5 which yet again didnt bring any wow.

    Still, Apple has a huge fan base that will keep buying their products without even look at it or checking if there is anything better in the market BUT i strongly believe that over the next year or two if Apple wont create another wow their market share will drop big time. You can even see the numbers from the last 2 quarters this year and see that Android is taking a big cut of the market share.


    Cant wait to receive my N4 and start using my first Android device.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    Quote Originally Posted by iAngary View Post
    The iPhone 5 has superior hardware it is better than any phone in the market hardware wise.
    That's an interesting opinion.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    WOW!
    What can I say I really enjoyed reading your post.
    Thanks

    Sent from my Nexus 4
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    My charging pad just arrived.

    Brilliant!
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Got my nexus 4 & loving it

    Waiting for you feed back and thoughts about it

    Sent from my Nexus 4

Similar Threads

  1. The Official "I Got My Nexus S" Thread
    By plmiller0905 in forum Sprint Nexus S 4G
    Replies: 233
    Last Post: 05-21-2011, 10:15 AM
  2. Just Got My Nexus S
    By Shrek74 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-15-2011, 12:53 PM
  3. Nexus S- Love it or Hate it.
    By Baconator in forum T-Mobile Nexus S
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 11:14 PM
  4. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 10:28 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Posting Permissions

B