Remote wipe

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As a new android user. How can u do a remote wipe in the event that you lose your phone?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Cerberus can keep the phone from turning off, but you can set it to alert you whenever someone uses the phone so you'll know it's on, and can then send commands to it. Don't know about AndroidLost, and I don't even know if that's a function that's supported by Android (unless you root).

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I like PhoneLocator Pro.
It lets you:
-Wipe
-Lock
-Display a message
-GPS it
-Force it to ring
-Get the call log
(the standard stuff)

Plus it also lets you:
-Take a pic of the thief
-Listen-in on the thief
-Locks out any unauthorized SIM
-Survives a Factory Rest (if rooted)

True story: about 18mos ago I had my Nexus S stolen (or lost), so first GPS'ed it (thankfully it was a block away), I took a pic of the thief, listened to his surroundings (seemed like a call center), got his SIM # (seeing as he clearly ditched my SIM he had no plan to return my device)...so I went to its location waiting in the lobby & when I saw him the fun began - I locked him out, put a message on-screen & forced it to ring an embarrassing ringtone at full volume. As he fumbled through his bag I approached him & relatively politely retrieved my property.
Best 5$ ever spent!

He clearly didn't know the power of Android, LoL. He seemed mystefied that I was able to do all that especially when I showed him his picture I had received previous to encountering him along with his number.

Here's the Play Store link--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../apps/details?id=com.rvo.plpro&token=TvkdWuwN

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So how secure are these third party apps? I just know on my blackberries it was integrated into the OS so I didn't have to worry about developers having access. Just curious.

laser155

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I like PhoneLocator Pro.
It lets you:
-Wipe
-Lock
-Display a message
-GPS it
-Force it to ring
-Get the call log
(the standard stuff)

Plus it also lets you:
-Take a pic of the thief
-Listen-in on the thief
-Locks out any unauthorized SIM
-Survives a Factory Rest (if rooted)

True story: about 18mos ago I had my Nexus S stolen (or lost), so first GPS'ed it (thankfully it was a block away), I took a pic of the thief, listened to his surroundings (seemed like a call center), got his SIM # (seeing as he clearly ditched my SIM he had no plan to return my device)...so I went to its location waiting in the lobby & when I saw him the fun began - I locked him out, put a message on-screen & forced it to ring an embarrassing ringtone at full volume. As he fumbled through his bag I approached him & relatively politely retrieved my property.
Best 5$ ever spent!

He clearly didn't know the power of Android, LoL. He seemed mystefied that I was able to do all that especially when I showed him his picture I had received previous to encountering him along with his number.

Here's the Play Store link--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../apps/details?id=com.rvo.plpro&token=LarBWN76

I also use PhoneLocator Pro. Although I was considering Cerberus since it seems to have a lot of the same features. Do you know if PLP can tell you when the device is in use? I didn't know that Cerberus could do that. I'm new to PLP and have never had to actually use it on a thief since I just got the app and nexus 4. I am still considering getting Cerberus but really can't tell the difference between PLP and it. As I said the features, as far as I could tell, (except maybe the in use alert that I just learned about from Cerberus that the poster below mentioned) are the exact same.

I don't think Cerberus can keep the phone from turning off, but you can set it to alert you whenever someone uses the phone so you'll know it's on, and can then send commands to it. Don't know about AndroidLost, and I don't even know if that's a function that's supported by Android (unless you root).

Bobkaron

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I just tried Cerberus and its absolutely excellent! Free for a week then $4.xx one time fee (U.S.). Installed it on my phone and my sons tablet. Can easily control his tablet and more.
Takes pictures if wrong password entered. See GPS location and tracking. Record video and audio and have it emailed back to you. Great Solutions!

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I use this and I LOVE IT https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...mNvbS5sc2Ryb2lkLmNlcmJlcnVzIl0&token=ETKjmz2e. has some amazing features and can wipe the device if you text it a certain command or via the online control panel thingy. It has some great features for tracking down the phone and getting it back, too.

AGREED! I use Cerberus and it is extremely powerful; luckily I have never needed to use it. If you're rooted, there are even deeper features. You can remotely wipe, take photos, toggle gps etc.

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
SeekDroid is another option. I got it when it was an Amazon App of the Day.

I got seekdroid as that Amazon app of the day as well. Seekdroid has a nice web interface and does a lot of the same features mentioned with other apps. It also has an SMS option which allows you to wipe/lock/alarm/wipe by sending an SMS code to your phone.

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I've installed Cerberus. Its powerful I'm skeptical as to how well it works. During testing, it failed to take remote pictures and email them to me as its supposed to. I know it can work as some pictures came through, but a lot failed. As such, I can't say its completely 100% reliable, but it seems to have a good reputation....

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
What does everyone think of AVG? Looks like it can do the same thing as the other apps described.

Anyone have to use it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 on the Solavei network.

ai7m2003

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
hi, please help.. i lost my phone, and installed the app on my phone from my pc through google play, but I don't know how to start tracking the phone from my PC.. please help.. thanks a lot

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon