Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By willdogs
  • 1 Post By jinjin12
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Exclamation nexus 4 using up my mobile data wtf?1?1

    so i'm on the unlimited text + 1000 minutes plan. i have to pay per use for mobile data, it's like 2 bucks per MB. i don't use data though. however, when i got the nexus, i didn't realize that mobile data was enabled by default and i didn't know that i could be even charged since i don't have have a data plan. but anyway, i checked my account and seen that it used 2 mb of data, which is weird since it should have been using my internet anyway since i had wifi connected. so i turned off mobile data ever since i found out it was on by default.

    so am i good? is this it? are there any other settings i should know about to make sure it's not using mobile data and wasting me money?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: nexus 4 using up my mobile data wtf?1?1

    If mobile data is off it shouldn't ever rack up charges. You could erase the APN settings just to be sure. If mobile data is off MMS messages won't send (I don't think).

    Data is enabled on all phones by default.


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: nexus 4 using up my mobile data wtf?1?1

    Quote Originally Posted by peejay1977 View Post
    If mobile data is off it shouldn't ever rack up charges. You could erase the APN settings just to be sure. If mobile data is off MMS messages won't send (I don't think).

    Data is enabled on all phones by default.


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    it's my first smartphone so i didn't know. i had a flip phone before lol
  4. #4  

    Default Re: nexus 4 using up my mobile data wtf?1?1

    Why would you get a smartphone without a data plan?

    it's like buying a Ferrari and never filling up the gas tank.
    Thanked by 2:
    Lanhoj and promanex like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: nexus 4 using up my mobile data wtf?1?1

    Quote Originally Posted by willdogs View Post
    Why would you get a smartphone without a data plan?

    it's like buying a Ferrari and never filling up the gas tank.
    everyone has there own preferences and reasons, just cause you like to waste money on data browsing facebook on the subway, don't mean that i do. i don't use data, it's a waste of money. i was using a flip phone + an ipod touch but it was getting annoying to carry both and also the ipod touch had no gps, which i needed for some offline maps programs. also the new ipod touch is $300 and a neuxs 4 is $300....what would you choose?

    it's useful to have both in one without the hassle and plus i can still read pdfs, check my email with wifi, listen to music and use maps. again if you like data then good for you, it's not for me. also your comparison with a smartphone with no data plan vs a ferrari w/ no gas is **** poor. having no gas on a ferrari means it's useless. however, have no data plan, means almost nothing for a smartphone, it's only a very small part. and for someone like me, data plan is useless. the ferrari is not functional without gas where the smartphone is plenty functional without data plan.
    Last edited by jinjin12; 12-16-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    android newb likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: nexus 4 using up my mobile data wtf?1?1

    Quote Originally Posted by jinjin12 View Post
    everyone has there own preferences and reasons, just cause you like to waste money on data browsing facebook on the subway, don't mean that i do. i don't use data, it's a waste of money. i was using a flip phone + an ipod touch but it was getting annoying to carry both and also the ipod touch had no gps, which i needed for some offline maps programs. also the new ipod touch is $300 and a neuxs 4 is $300....what would you choose?

    it's useful to have both in one without the hassle and plus i can still read pdfs, check my email with wifi, listen to music and use maps. again if you like data then good for you, it's not for me. also your comparison with a smartphone with no data plan vs a ferrari w/ no gas is **** poor. having no gas on a ferrari means it's useless. however, have no data plan, means almost nothing for a smartphone, it's only a very small part. and for someone like it, data plan is useless. the ferrari is not functional without gas where the smartphone is plenty functional without data plan.
    Totally agree. What can't you do on wifi that you can't on data? Occasional gaming, assistant apps don't refuse wifi, plus I don't have the habit of using my phone while driving. Why would I need internet on the road.

Similar Threads

  1. Need Help! I turned off my mobile data somehow
    By Malchore in forum Droid RAZR HD
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-25-2014, 12:47 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-13-2011, 05:00 PM
  3. What is using up so much data usage???
    By libertylondon in forum HTC Aria
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-13-2011, 01:35 PM
  4. Maps app using up my battery. Can't fix.
    By pudding 82 in forum Droid Bionic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 09:22 PM
  5. Apps running using up my data
    By angusgreer in forum AT&T ATRIX
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 09:05 PM

Posting Permissions

B