Are you satisfied with your Nexus 4?

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So now that the Nexus 4 has been out for a few weeks are you satisfied with it? Pros/Cons? I'm coming from a Galaxy S3, and hoping to decide which device to keep as my daily driver. So far the Nexus 4 has been awesome, but HSPA+ has been much slower than LTE on my S3. It has taken some finagling just to get a stable network connection. Sometimes I feel like it's more work than it's worth. I will keep with the N4 for another week before I decide if this is truly the one device to rule them all. What are your thoughts on the Nexus 4? Are you happy, or not happy? I'm just curious to see other peoples opinions here, thanks!

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So now that the Nexus 4 has been out for a few weeks are you satisfied with it? Pros/Cons? I'm coming from a Galaxy S3, and hoping to decide which device to keep as my daily driver. So far the Nexus 4 has been awesome, but HSPA+ has been much slower than LTE on my S3. It has taken some finagling just to get a stable network connection. Sometimes I feel like it's more work than it's worth. I will keep with the N4 for another week before I decide if this is truly the one device to rule them all. What are your thoughts on the Nexus 4? Are you happy, or not happy? I'm just curious to see other peoples opinions here, thanks!

If your nexus 4 has arrived, you should change your signature ^ ^. But just from me, I've never had a data connection and only used wifi so I don't know what LTE is like and I still won't be using Data when I get my Nexus 4, can't say it's a problem with me.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I came from a GNex and didn't realize how the incremental upgrades make a difference. Now I know why people complain about AMOLED pentile displays especially on white backgrounds.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

V-Tech

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Where do you feel the difference between the HSPA+ and the LTE? When browsing the net? Emails? Downloads (what speeds)? Apps?

Just interested how much slower it actually is.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
If your nexus 4 has arrived, you should change your signature ^ ^. But just from me, I've never had a data connection and only used wifi so I don't know what LTE is like and I still won't be using Data when I get my Nexus 4, can't say it's a problem with me.

I will change my signature as soon as I get back home thanks! :)

Where do you feel the difference between the HSPA+ and the LTE? When browsing the net? Emails? Downloads (what speeds)? Apps?

Just interested how much slower it actually is.
Browsing the web really. Coming from an area with incredibly good LTE pulling on average 30-40mbps down to 9mbps is a bit frustrating at times. That, and it seems like the radios in the S3 are a bit better as well. Day to day performance is excellent on the N4, but it was no slouch either on the S3. I'm hoping after a good solid week with the Nexus 4 I'll decide between the two. As crazy as it sounds because I now have experience with Vanilla Android. I can say that I honestly don't mind Touch Wiz either.

Last edited:

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I am satisfied with most every aspect of the phone. The speed of the device mostly. However coming from a vzgnex I had flashed 421 so on the software side, I have seen this before.
I just held both phones side by side and honestly, I think the gnex screen is better. Maybe I am jaded with amoled screens, having owned 3 previous samsung phones. The blacks are blacker and colors more vibrant.
The main reason I am totally satisfied is because I left VZ and their death grip and exhorbitant monthly fees. I am on st and actually cut my monthly by over half. That alone is one BIG win. Sure I lost lte but for what I do with the phone it is completely tolerable. I am totally sold on unlocked gsm phones, and this one is the schnizz.

V-Tech

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Browsing the web really. Coming from an area with incredibly good LTE pulling on average 30-40mbps down to 9mbps is a bit frustrating at times. That, and it seems like the radios in the S3 are a bit better as well. Day to day performance is excellent on the N4, but it was no slouch either on the S3. I'm hoping after a good solid week with the Nexus 4 I'll decide between the two. As crazy as it sounds because I now have experience with Vanilla Android. I can say that I honestly don't mind Touch Wiz either.

Interesting... I'm coming from a BB Torch 9810 that has H+ but unfortunately the web surfing experiences on the BB is one of the biggest down sides of the phone. I really love the BB and it doesnt almost everything that i want/need but i'm sure that moving to Androind/N4 will be even better.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Interesting... I'm coming from a BB Torch 9810 that has H+ but unfortunately the web surfing experiences on the BB is one of the biggest down sides of the phone. I really love the BB and it doesnt almost everything that i want/need but i'm sure that moving to Androind/N4 will be even better.
If you've never experienced LTE, then it will be less of a deal breaker then. However now that my APN settings are in order I'm getting fairly decent HSPA+ speeds, and am able to use the phone as normal.

BlackHippy21

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I just got my nexus 4 earlier today, so there isn't much I can say about it yet. On the other hand I am completely fascinated by the performance, and smoothness. I've had iPhone 5, note 2, and S3, but to me this phone seems smoother than the s3 and note 2. If you are used to LTE it could be bothersome because the speed difference is noticeable especially if you are using AT&T HSPA+

V-Tech

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
If you've never experienced LTE, then it will be less of a deal breaker then. However now that my APN settings are in order I'm getting fairly decent HSPA+ speeds, and am able to use the phone as normal.

I'm sure that the internet surfing will be 100 times better on the N4 than my BB. Hope that the N4 will allow me to do everything that i'm doing on my BB now.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure that the internet surfing will be 100 times better on the N4 than my BB. Hope that the N4 will allow me to do everything that i'm doing on my BB now.
I assure you, any and everything about the Nexus 4 is better than your BB lol :p

V-Tech

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I assure you, any and everything about the Nexus 4 is better than your BB lol :p

No doubt that it's better :) i just have some small feature on my BB that i hope i will be able to do on the N4. For example different profiles for sounds - I have the night mode where i choose that all emails are silent but SMS/BBM/Whatsapp have sound and phone calls for as well. The vibrate only profile where it only vibrates. That's important to me because i dont want to hear email sounds during the night (i get a lot of emails) but i do want to hear of it's a private message specially to me.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
No doubt that it's better :) i just have some small feature on my BB that i hope i will be able to do on the N4. For example different profiles for sounds - I have the night mode where i choose that all emails are silent but SMS/BBM/Whatsapp have sound and phone calls for as well. The vibrate only profile where it only vibrates. That's important to me because i dont want to hear email sounds during the night (i get a lot of emails) but i do want to hear of it's a private message specially to me.

CyanogenMod 10.1 allows for profiles and quiet hours.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, it's not free... Kinda sucks..... I was really hoping that i can do something like this without the need to pay.

CyanogenMod is completely free and unlocking the phone to install it is really easy on Nexus devices.

V-Tech

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
CyanogenMod is completely free and unlocking the phone to install it is really easy on Nexus devices.

Does unlocking means rooting = delete all data from the phone?!

So i have to do it in the beginning when i get it?

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
If I had a Galaxy SIII in the first place I wouldn't bother with the Nexus 4. Having come from a Sensation 4G, though, I'm quite glad I got the N4.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Does unlocking means rooting = delete all data from the phone?!

So i have to do it in the beginning when i get it?

Unlocking the bootloader will factory reset the phone and I usually wipe data before flashing a new ROM just to be safe. I find its not a big deal since I have everything backed up in cloud services. Others share by Titanium Backup to backup other things like game state/data.

Imo its worth it one of my favorite features in CyanogenMod is being able to reply to a SMS without opening the app.