Canadian Nexus 4 Ordered On December 3rd - Receiving the device

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Received my phone early this afternoon. It's a lot better than I expected. One odd thing I love is the haptic feedback on this thing. Don't know why just do. Feels as if the whole phone is vibrating.
Just waiting on my case to arrive so my fear of damaging this goes away.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

fmeragli

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Also, the first thing I've noticed is how fast the operating system is compared to my Galaxy S2 - and to a lesser extent my Nexus 7. I don't know it just seems more "buttery" even though the Nexus 7 is 4.2.1 and the Galaxy S2 was rooted running 4.1.2.

fmeragli

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Received my phone early this afternoon. It's a lot better than I expected. One odd thing I love is the haptic feedback on this thing. Don't know why just do. Feels as if the whole phone is vibrating.
Just waiting on my case to arrive so my fear of damaging this goes away.

I literally just bought a bumper case on ebay for 65$ with tax because I'm too scared i'll break it, and don't trust myself long enough to wait for them to become available in Canada haha.

fmeragli

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm reading the battery usage details incorrectly. Does the percentage shown indicate the current instantaneous usage or the history of battery usage over a set amount of time?

I was using Chrome heavily before so perhaps that's why it's still showing up on the usage details list.

Yes, the battery % is the usage based on your last charge. Or since the last time it was connected to a charger - so if you were using Chrome heavily that should be why.

jmehta22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
anyone see a yellowish tint the bottom half of the screen? especially in the dialer and settings menu? check and post your findings here!

kayimi

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
anyone see a yellowish tint the bottom half of the screen? especially in the dialer and settings menu? check and post your findings here!

Me either. Maybe it's just the gradient you see or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Me either. Maybe it's just the gradient you see or something?

VertigoM

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

I believe that's just a background gradient

Edit: yup definitely the background. Rotate your device and you'll see it follows the rotation.

JJDigitized

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok thanks.

Another question... Where is the sound equalizer in the stock music player??

Apparently it should be in the settings but I don't see it. Reference link here: Google Music: EQ Settings - xda-developers

I had no idea there even was an equalizer in the stock Play Music app.

For me, it only shows up in the app menu when I've got something playing. Try playing a song and then hitting the 3 dot menu icon - it's the first option I get.

VertigoM

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I had no idea there even was an equalizer in the stock Play Music app.

For me, it only shows up in the app menu when I've got something playing. Try playing a song and then hitting the 3 dot menu icon - it's the first option I get.

Ok, I see it now. Thanks!

I was looking at the 3 dot menu while playing a song while browsing my song list but the Equalizer setting does not appear there which is quite confusing...

JJDigitized

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I see it now. Thanks!

I was looking at the 3 dot menu while playing a song while browsing my song list but the Equalizer setting does not appear there which is quite confusing...

Yea, seems like a bit of disconnect between design and what I'd expect as a user. Guess it only shows in the menu when viewing the currently playing song.

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Any 1 have a H+ in the data bars? I only ever have an H.
My screen sensitivity is not very good. Hopefully a fix comes soon. My s3 was excellent.

MrNinjaPanda

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Any 1 have a H+ in the data bars? I only ever have an H.

I think it just shows H even though it's on H+. I used a speed test app, and I get somewhere around 15-20Mbps down, where my previous phone was H only and it never went higher than ~4Mbps.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

There is a gradient in the settings but I see no yellowish tint.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Hell all
finally chiming in with my initial thoughts; I got my N4 on Tuesday, but it must have been packaged with a cold virus, because I spent the next day hold up in bed sick and subsequently didn't get much chance to play until yesterday and today. Since this is my first Android device there's some blur between Nexus impressions and Andriod ones; I trust you can all sort them out ;)

Very first impression out of the box: damn I'm going to need the bumper. I love how shiny and awesome this thing looks, but there's no way I can make this last a year or two without some protection. I've been looking at some options, but think the best is to wait for the branded one to come back in stock from the Play store.

I love the screen, especially the curved edge. Feels nice and supple and gives some really fine control to scrolling. Not a fan of the rear speaker. If I leave the device face up on my desk it muffles any notifications. the button placement for power and volume are going to take some getting used to. I find so far that every time I go to hit power when one-handing the device, my other fingers instead press volume. Gotta give the point to Apple for the top-side power button.

I really want to give the photosphere it's paces, but been busy and haven't had a chance. Did one in the office upon device arrival and it stiched together pretty badly, but I'm going to say part of that was a closed space with no wide open skies for easy stiching. Will try some more over the holidays.

Pretty seamless switching to Android, all the same basic features as iOS, but I do like that there's some additional customization possible with widgets and screens and settings. It was a bit of a hassle getting all my contacts out of the iPhone and dowloaded, and in the process figured out that there's no stock option for connecting to my home Ubuntu machine like with the Android File Transfer app for Mac, so I have to go through my laptop instead. Since then I've discovered ES File Explorer and am wirelessly grabbing files, which is pretty awesome, so I've forgiven the oversight, although am surprised there's nothing official out there.

I was pretty disappointed with the stock email app. I have a couple gmails and some non-gmails. At first I had both gmail and email apps running concurrently, which is stupid. Then switched to just the email app importing the gmails, but this was a non-starter -- each time you go to email from notification or start the app from scratch, it loads default inbox not unified; also stupid. Tried K9; fugly. Ended up spending an afternoon importing my non-gmail (and the older gmail) into my main with labels. The best solution and means less battery waste on IMAP, but wish I didn't have to do that much work to get it there.

I really like how the Play store works, being able to add from device or from web, but at first I felt a bit lost, like 'where do I plug this into and sync with'; I was so trained by iTunes. But it passed quickly. In short time I was considering book and magazine purchases from Play, which I never would have done on the 3GS. The Play Books app works pretty well; read through a few chapters of The Time Machine commuting to work on day one. Haven't tried any magazines yet.

Battery issues, yes there are some. I think it's performing for me about on par with the general experience I'm reading out there, but I really wish it was better. That big beautiful display is the issue, showing 65% of my battery usage right now, so I've already settled for a dimmer output and have installed Juice Defendor to protect against other wastes. At the mo I'm transfering a file over wifi to the device and even on charger it still keep draining battery, all the way down to zero. Just normal usage and I can get to work and home on a charge, but that's about it, so ~10 hours. :(

Played a bit of NFS Most Wanted tonight, which I also had on the 3GS. Love that it was only 99c not several dollars, and it looks so so so much better.

Overall happy with the purchase, the device, that the shipment was on time and before xmas. I'll keep my 3GS around as a backup/ glorified remote for itunes, but I think it's safe to call me a convert.

Cheers
-
Thanks for your input. I have only had my phone for one day so my battery hasn't really even settled yet but I still have managed to get nearly 16hrs with 3.75hrs screen time and I'm only at 35%. I am on WiFi all day so that helps and I tend to toggle my controls a bit but have had WiFi, Bluetooth, data and sync on for most of the day. I keep GPS off unless I am in my car. You may want to try that.

Compared to my old Samsung Galaxy s2 I am in heaven.

V-Tech

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, finally got time to write something :)

So i'm very happy with the phone but i have to admit that the battery is a little disappointing.....

I'm travelling now so i'm not using the phone at full but for now it looks like battery is not as good as i thought and hoped.

I'll keep updating more later on.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, finally got time to write something :)

So i'm very happy with the phone but i have to admit that the battery is a little disappointing.....

I'm travelling now so i'm not using the phone at full but for now it looks like battery is not as good as i thought and hoped.

I'll keep updating more later on.
How much on screen time are you getting? I used mine yesterday for my first full day and I couldn't drain it. I have never had a battery in a smart phone last this long. I got just short of 16hrs with almost 5hrs of on screen time and I still had 14% left when I plugged it in. If I can continue to get this I will be very happy. But I was on WiFi all day and had GPS off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781