Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone Using Built in Wifi/3G Calling on T-Mobile?

I just noticed that android has a built in internet calling feature (I'm new to android). I was wondering if anyone on T-mobile (particularly the $30 pre-paid plan) has successfully set it up or if T-Mobile blocks it and a third party app is required. I've been using a third party app up until now but would like it more if I could use the built in function. Does T-Mobile block it?

Default Re: Anyone Using Built in Wifi/3G Calling on T-Mobile?

You can't. T-Mobile's "Wi-Fi calling" functions in an entirely different manner.

Android doesn't have a built-in wifi calling feature, you need to install third party apps

- - - Updated - - -

Android doesn't have a built-in wifi calling feature, you need to install third party apps
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    You can't. T-Mobile's "Wi-Fi calling" functions in an entirely different manner.
    Could you explain how? As I understand it you only need to enter your SIP account details and it will work. Is that wrong?

EDIT: I did some more research and learned that in order for it to work Tmobile would have to release a kernel to support it on their network. They don't plan on doing so.

Do you have a recommendation for a good voip app besides google voice? I have a SIP account to use with it.

Quote Originally Posted by laser155 View Post
    Could you explain how? As I understand it you only need to enter your SIP account details and it will work. Is that wrong?

EDIT: I did some more research and learned that in order for it to work Tmobile would have to release a kernel to support it on their network. They don't plan on doing so.

Do you have a recommendation for a good voip app besides google voice? I have a SIP account to use with it.
    I believe you meant besides native dialer.

Two popular free sip client apps are sipdroid and csipsimple.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2