Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fairclough
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation new to android, need some apps, any recommendations?

hey, just got a nexus 4, i need 3 particualr apps, anyone recommend some good ones?
    1) a note taking program, i've been using the default ios notes on my ipod touch 4g and it's sweet. need something sweet and simple like it, not overly complicated.
    2) need a voice memo program, again similar to the default ios voice memos.
    3) need a music player that will let me skip or go to previous track by pressing and holding the volume buttons. on ios, i did this with activator and so i need something similar. i don't want to take out my phone on the subway everytime i want to skip or repeat a track

edit: 4) actually i have another question, is there any thing like spotlight search for android? on IOS, the OS indexes everything and so when you scroll all the way left, you just type in the name of the the thing you want to search and it'll show up in music, or movies or whatever. it's very useful. i know google's default search does this, but anything better?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!
    Last edited by jinjin12; 12-17-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Default Re: new to android, need some apps, any recommendations?

MX music player app.

PowerAmp is a very nice music player and has the kind of button functionality you are looking for.

AK Notepad is a nice app which gives you the option to also have your notes synced to a server and then to any other devices you may have.

Check out Color Note -- for notes or lists.

There are lots of voice notes apps with similar names. The first one I tried is Smart Voice Recorder. I never had reason to try another one. I like the way it pauses during the silences.

You didn't ask, but check out Light Flow. It lets you see if there are any important notifications without switching the phone on. (You decide what "important" means).

Evernote or a app called note(book?) - does notes, videos, sounds, pictures.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
    palitsyn likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

actually i have another question, is there any thing like spotlight search for android? on IOS, the OS indexes everything and so when you scroll all the way left, you just type in the name of the the thing you want to search and it'll show up in music, or movies or whatever. it's very useful. i know google's default search does this, but anything better?
    Last edited by jinjin12; 12-17-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Global Posts
    383 Global Posts

i use an app called colornote, evernote is great, but it's does a lil too much for me. i like colornote because it's simple. you can password protect your notes, create check list, and cloud backup. it's very simple and meets all my needs.

I use a free voice recorder app called Voice Recorder. The icon looks like a gmail M and a sideways mini recorder. For notes, depending on what you use them for, I like Taskos. The thing I like about it is that it ties into (and syncs up with) your pc's tasks in gmail, so you can enter them on your pc or on the phone. You can also set alarms/reminders for those notes.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

color note is perfect. thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by jinjin12 View Post
    actually i have another question, is there any thing like spotlight search for android? on IOS, the OS indexes everything and so when you scroll all the way left, you just type in the name of the the thing you want to search and it'll show up in music, or movies or whatever. it's very useful. i know google's default search does this, but anything better?
    Google Now has similar functionality. You can choose what the phone searches in settings.

new to android, need some apps, any recommendations?-uploadfromtaptalk1355767304226.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I know it's not really what you're looking for, but you can always speak "note to self blah blah" and the voice memo will be near immediately show up in your gmail.

Also, I make use of the Catch app. I'm not a power user, so can't tell you about all the bells and whistles, but it works well for the simple stuff I use it for. Maybe at least read reviews of that one.