how to organize music into folders that i want?

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
ok so basically i organize certain music into certain folders the way i want to listen to them. sometimes i don't even organize them by the same genre. it's just a personal preference. in IOS, i would just make a respective playlist for each folder and i would have my music organized the way i want.

however on my nexus 4, even when i transfer my music by the folders i made, it i would just use the metadata and organize the music the way it wants, totally ruining my structure. how can i make it so the music would stay in whatever folder i put it in?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe you can.

You will have to use a media player which supports playlists and then create them the hard way.

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
:( so sad....tagging my music won't help because it will still use other meta data to organize the music is a stupid way (according to me that is)

i thought android was better and had much more freedom and now i finally use it, i'm discovering alot of annoyances, and even flaws since some features are discarded. oh well, i guess there are plus and minuses to both OSes, so far i still like ios more. but let me use the nexus 4 for a couple of weeks before the final judgement :D

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You could always a) search Play Store for a music player which works the way you would like or b) find a music player which you like and then petition the developer to add the features you want.

I use PowerAmp but after a brief test it does not seem to do what you are looking for.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You can make playlists still on the device i'm pretty sure or you can go to play.google.com and go to my music and make playlists there with uploaded songs.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Does it order them really by meta file data? Or MP3 ID3 tags? I would have guessed by tags, which you can totally edit any way you want. Otherwise, there certainly should be a solution to custom create playlists of your choosing.

laser155

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar question to the OP. I often listen to audiobooks and android seems to dump all the audiobook audio files into the music app even though I have them on a different part of my memory (Not it the music folder). It leaves the files where I put them but it finds them and displays them in the music app. As a result I have to skip everywhere as I try to play music because half of it is audiobook files scattered throughout the music app song list. Is there a way to prevent the google music app from searching for and displaying all audio files? On iOS it was easy to keep audiobook audio files separate from the music library.

I don't mean to jack this thread, it just seemed like the OP's question and mine were related. If they aren't let me know and I will make a new thread.

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar question to the OP. I often listen to audiobooks and android seems to dump all the audiobook audio files into the music app even though I have them on a different part of my memory (Not it the music folder). It leaves the files where I put them but it finds them and displays them in the music app. As a result I have to skip everywhere as I try to play music because half of it is audiobook files scattered throughout the music app song list. Is there a way to prevent the google music app from searching for and displaying all audio files? On iOS it was easy to keep audiobook audio files separate from the music library.

I don't mean to jack this thread, it just seemed like the OP's question and mine were related. If they aren't let me know and I will make a new thread.
i don't mind at all lol.. the more people comment on this thread, the more i learn about this problem lol

Michael Rodgers

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

I use a separate audiobook app, and then in the folder where I keep the audiobooks I put the .nomedia file. If you're new to android, do a quick google search on "nomedia." There are also apps that automate this process.

In short, you create an empty file named .nomedia and put this in folders that you don't want the Android OS to scan for media.

Michael Rodgers

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
ok so basically i organize certain music into certain folders the way i want to listen to them. sometimes i don't even organize them by the same genre. it's just a personal preference. in IOS, i would just make a respective playlist for each folder and i would have my music organized the way i want.

however on my nexus 4, even when i transfer my music by the folders i made, it i would just use the metadata and organize the music the way it wants, totally ruining my structure. how can i make it so the music would stay in whatever folder i put it in?

What are you currently using to manage your music? The Google Music app? And how are you getting your music on the device? Are you using Google Music, or just drag-and-dropping the files?

If you do the latter, I'd suggest playing them strait out of a file manager (like ES File Explorer), or using another music app that plays directly from the folder structure.

If you use Google Music, you can just create playlists on your main computer browser, and they'll automatically fill in on your phone as well. If you haven't taken the plunge into Google Music yet, I'd highly recommend it...

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
What are you currently using to manage your music? The Google Music app? And how are you getting your music on the device? Are you using Google Music, or just drag-and-dropping the files?

If you do the latter, I'd suggest playing them strait out of a file manager (like ES File Explorer), or using another music app that plays directly from the folder structure.

If you use Google Music, you can just create playlists on your main computer browser, and they'll automatically fill in on your phone as well. If you haven't taken the plunge into Google Music yet, I'd highly recommend it...

yea, i just ended up making playlists, it worked fine. the reason i did not want to make a playlist manually was that i thought each music app had it's own playlist. i did not know that all the music apps on my phone just reads from the same playlist folder. i'm learn more about android every hour lol. this is cool cause it allows for more freedom , but at the same time i've encountered some bugs

alvmitchel

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Two Easy Questions

1) Can I rename "Albums"?
2) Once or twice it has been difficult to exit the program. I notices that even after a reboot it was still there. Am I missing something or is there a particular way to exit the app? Of course I could always end the app from the "running services" screen.

Thanks.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Michael Rodgers

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Two Easy Questions

1) You can rename albums and all metadata using music.google.com (Google Music browser app) but I haven't seen a way to do it on the phone.

2) The standard/default way to close all android apps is the back button. Took me awhile to figure that out as well, and I don't think this is an intuitive part of Android OS. Add to this that if music is playing, the app doesn't close even with the back button, and you definitely have a confusing set of commands...

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
they're not bugs, they're just features you don't understand yet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
what? how come something not present be a "feature"? google default music player does not have volume control when you're on the "now playing" screen. it has control for track like next track, pause/play but no volume control, you have use the volume rocker. that's not a feature, THAT'S A VERY POOR DESIGN AND OMISSION BY GOOGLE.

frekiluv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Try MortPlayer. MortPlayer does not have all the options that are mentioned, but if you download with the Widget (I dislike 'em, but this one is beneficial) you will be able to play music and audiobooks from different directories. I use Poweramp (paid) for my main music file which reads from default directory. However, when you use MortPlayer you can specify which folder to access; the widget allows for the selection of music or audiobooks upon activation. For example, Poweramp accesses the Music folder, MortPlayer accesses an Audiobook folder for the books and I use a seperate folder that I named Music(inst) for non-lyrical music (classical, acoustic, etc.) for when I read a physical book or need some sounds studying. IMO MortPlayer offers many more features than Poweramp and it is free. :-$

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Try MortPlayer. MortPlayer does not have all the options that are mentioned, but if you download with the Widget (I dislike 'em, but this one is beneficial) you will be able to play music and audiobooks from different directories. I use Poweramp (paid) for my main music file which reads from default directory. However, when you use MortPlayer you can specify which folder to access; the widget allows for the selection of music or audiobooks upon activation. For example, Poweramp accesses the Music folder, MortPlayer accesses an Audiobook folder for the books and I use a seperate folder that I named Music(inst) for non-lyrical music (classical, acoustic, etc.) for when I read a physical book or need some sounds studying. IMO MortPlayer offers many more features than Poweramp and it is free. :-$

nah i'm using playerpro right now and i really like it. it has all the features i want, even browses music by folders, which is great. only downside is that it's a battery hog

superblast

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
what? how come something not present be a "feature"? google default music player does not have volume control when you're on the "now playing" screen. it has control for track like next track, pause/play but no volume control, you have use the volume rocker. that's not a feature, THAT'S A VERY POOR DESIGN AND OMISSION BY GOOGLE.
Yeah, using the volume rocker to change volume... what were they thinking?

RamblinRoyce

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
for my razr maxx, I use winamp on my computer to create playlists. Once you create a .m3u playlist, you can transfer the .m3u playlist file and all music files to your droid phone. Then Winamp App or Google Music App can read the .m3u playlists and play the corresponding music files.

I haven't used any other music Apps but they probably can read the .m3u playlists since it's a standard/common format...for now.

In summary, create a playlist using a .m3u file with whatever music software you have, transfer the playlist file and music files to your phone, and then you should be able to play your music by choosing these playlists.

This is the easest method i know.

and an extra helpful note is you can change the .m3u file extensions to .txt and open it using a Word Doc Program such as notepad, MS Word, WordPad, ... and can edit filenames and addresses in the playlist. This is useful because if you copy/transfer music from computer to computer, or use an external hard drive for music and the Drive Letter changes, you can open the .m3u file and perform a find/replace for all of the hard drive letters (for instance, find C:\ and replace to D:\) so that you can use the playlist for accessing files on a hard drive with a different letter assignment.

Hope this helps.

RamblinRoyce

Edit...
Also, you don't have to worry about the playlist files and addresses on your phone. In other words, the music file paths & folders on your phone don't have to match the file paths & folders on your computer. Android indexes and can find the music file in your playlist (based on the filename I'm assuming) and the music file can be in any directory or any folder. If the music player app is having problems finding music files, power off and power on your phone... i believe android indexes the files every time it boots up so if you add new files, your music app may not know the files exist until you restart the app and/or restart the phone.