1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default gMail sync issues on N4

I have 3 gMail accounts. The main one that I used to register and 2 other ones that forward to my main gMail account. When I use my pc to delete emails from my account they don't delete off of my N4. I have everything set in the iMap settings. What am I doing wrong or what can I do to fix this?

Default Re: gMail sync issues on N4

1. make sure syn is enabled in settings. settings-->google-->[your account]-->gmail is checked
    2. to sync faster. open gmail and press the sync button on the bottom.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    1. make sure syn is enabled in settings. settings-->google-->[your account]-->gmail is checked
    2. to sync faster. open gmail and press the sync button on the bottom.
    All that looks fine. When I delete emails from my gmail account on my PC why won't they delete on my N4?

Quote Originally Posted by valpd View Post
    All that looks fine. When I delete emails from my gmail account on my PC why won't they delete on my N4?
    it should and it works for me perfectly. when you say PC do you mean from browser or from outlook?

do this. update gmail app to latest version from market. clear data/cache for gmail app. sign in again to gmail app.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

it should and it works for me perfectly. when you say PC do you mean from browser or from outlook?

do this. update gmail app to latest version from market. clear data/cache for gmail app. sign in again to gmail app.
    I use Chrome on my PC and just use the gMail webmail page. I also have version 4.2.1.

I use Chrome on my PC and just use the gMail webmail page. I also have version 4.2.1.
    update gmail app to latest version from market. clear data/cache for gmail app. sign in again to gmail app.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Tried this and I get the same thing. The emails that I deleted from my gMail webmail account on my PC are deleted, but my N4 still shows them. What's gives?

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.2.1

I don't think it''s the N4. On my Touchpad with CM9, it does the same thing. It's a little sluggish in updating. But with the iPhone's mail app and Playbooks Messages app configured with Exchange, it updates instantly.
    16GB Nexus 4 Beanstalk 4.4.2 │ 16GB iPhone 4 6.1.3 JB UL │ 16GB Playbook │ 32GB Touchpad 4.4.2

I've noticed this delayed notification issue for the past 2 years now, so it's not just the Nexus4. On Android Gmail and Google Voice are late about 75% of the time. Late as in 2-20 minutes after other devices get the messages. The sad part is that Google's own Gmail app, not Exchange, but the Gmail app from Google for iOS will always get the email first...even faster than it shows up in the desktop Chrome browser sometimes. This also is the same for the Google Voice app on iOS...I don't get why this is at all. Sure some messages will push and arrive almost immediately, but never faster than the desktop browser or iOS apps...but more than often, they will show up a minute to 5 minutes later, if not even longer. Send yourselves a few emails from another account to test this out. Don't even get me started on the new GoogleMaps on an iPhone5, it seriously is better than the Android version.

I imagine it's Apple's push implementation that's winning here, and the Android implementation of the same just isn't quite as instant.

It's pretty good on mine, a new mail always hits my iPad first, but the N4 is only a few seconds later ... but always afterwards.

ROM
    Stock

Tried this and I get the same thing. The emails that I deleted from my gMail webmail account on my PC are deleted, but my N4 still shows them. What's gives?
    It happens to me as well, but I am still using the HTC desire
    So it seems like its a gmail app thing.

That said, the messages do eventually vanish and the account sorts itself out. Myabe try again in a few hours and see if it realises that messages have been deleted.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Other than making sure that IMAP is clicked what else should check in the gmail settings?

I have found that the phone will eventually "catch up" with deletions made via PC (or even another phone). If you don't want to wait for the catch up, you can open Gmail on the phone and tap the Sync icon (second from the right along the bottom of the screen); pretty certain that should do it.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I figured it out. I had Auto Expunge on, but it should have been off.

I figured it out. I had Auto Expunge on, but it should have been off.
    I don't see an "Auto Expunge" setting. What/where is that?

My gmail works perfectly and stays in sync to the moment with my desktop version.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    I don't see an "Auto Expunge" setting. What/where is that?
    It's under pop and forwarding under gmail settings on the desktop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    My gmail works perfectly and stays in sync to the moment with my desktop version.
    So does mine....after I corrected the settings.....