Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: nexus 4 GPS problem? or does google maps not work with gps offline?

ok so after waiting a while it finally picked up a signal lmao! i must say the nexus 4 GPs is horrible. i'm using it offline and even when i'm on a street, it shows me inside a building lol, it's so slow and buggy. this is sad because i've tested the same program on my brother's iphone 3g, with his gps on, and it performed better. and with wifi on, even if wifi is not connect to an access point, the iphone uses triangulation to calculate the location really fast. but on the nexus 4, with wifi on, it's still slow as hell, i thought it had A-gps and can do wifi triangulation?

Quote Originally Posted by jinjin12 View Post
    ok so after waiting a while it finally picked up a signal lmao! i must say the nexus 4 GPs is horrible. i'm using it offline and even when i'm on a street, it shows me inside a building lol, it's so slow and buggy. this is sad because i've tested the same program on my brother's iphone 3g, with his gps on, and it performed better. and with wifi on, even if wifi is not connect to an access point, the iphone uses triangulation to calculate the location really fast. but on the nexus 4, with wifi on, it's still slow as hell, i thought it had A-gps and can do wifi triangulation?
    then you are having a problem with your device or software. mine just picks up the gps in 2 seconds. I keep my wifi on for access points.

I used navigation a few times. it was fast and the location was accurate. i had couple of re routing and it worked well.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmiekain View Post
    i havent had any issues with google maps. The only GPS issue i have is when I try to use the speed test app it always thinks im in Texas or Kansas. (I'm in California)

Anyone else experience this?
    yes, it is very odd. I am in NJ and it always gives me Kansas or Nebraska servers to test.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    then you are having a problem with your device or software. mine just picks up the gps in 2 seconds. I keep my wifi on for access points.

I used navigation a few times. it was fast and the location was accurate. i had couple of re routing and it worked well.
    can you try it with google maps offline? no wifi though, just only gps and try walking around. when you walk on the streets, it'll mess up sometimes and show you inside of buildings

without data, it works for location only and updates , not for driving directions.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

for some reason it just stopped working now....it cant find my location.....GRRRR

Wrong. Some ppl save a lot of money by turning off roaming on a Nexus 4 and not buying a data plan. A lot of money! You can blather about how cheap a data plan is but you have no idea how cheap my old plan is without data. I'm almost always within wi-fi reach. What good is a data plan for me? The answer is none. It'd be like throwing money away. Some ppl don't need a data plan but might want to use the GPS built into the Nexus 4. This is what this thread is about. How to do that without a data connection; not your chest thumping.
    divandan likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Burt View Post
    Wrong. Some ppl save a lot of money by turning off roaming on a Nexus 4 and not buying a data plan. A lot of money! You can blather about how cheap a data plan is but you have no idea how cheap my old plan is without data. I'm almost always within wi-fi reach. What good is a data plan for me? The answer is none. It'd be like throwing money away. Some ppl don't need a data plan but might want to use the GPS built into the Nexus 4. This is what this thread is about. How to do that without a data connection; not your chest thumping.
    exactly.... i hate when people think they their preferences are good for other people....that's why it's called a preference, not universal truth. there are many reasons and situations why people don't want data plan

anyway my phone won't pick up a gps signal again, not matter what maps app i use. forevermaps, google maps, maps with me, citymaps2go....none will pick up signal and gps is on...grrr. i said i was going to try this phone a few more weeks but i honestly feel like giving up on it now, so many problems. only reason why i'm thinking about keeping it is cause i can develop for android and have a device to test it on. but is it really worth it for a phone that has crappy life and can't even pick up gps signals and does alot of other things to **** me off??!?!....hard choice...

anyway my phone won't pick up a gps signal again, not matter what maps app i use.
    Forget about maps for a moment. Please install the free GPS Status (.) or a similar app and see how/if your GPS will function with it.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Forget about maps for a moment. Please install the free GPS Status (.) or a similar app and see how/if your GPS will function with it.
    i've already tested with GPS TEST

i've already tested with GPS TEST
    Sorry; the intent was to find out the answer to this question: does your GPS work with GPS Test but not with map apps, or does it not work at all?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

Sorry; the intent was to find out the answer to this question: does your GPS work with GPS Test but not with map apps, or does it not work at all?
    when i first got the first, it was not working with any. then it suddenly worked hours after. then now it stopped working with maps. so i dled gps test and it don't work with that either. i'm a test it throughout the day so see how it goes.

ROM
    Stock / Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dupp View Post
    yes, it is very odd. I am in NJ and it always gives me Kansas or Nebraska servers to test.
    Have you identified a fix for this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Have you identified a fix for this?
    For an unrelated reason, I powered down and removed my SIM and let my N4 sit for 2 days. I just now put the SIM back in my N4. I went to Settings>Apps>Speedtest and cleared the cache and data. When I was done, I restarted the app and it found a Wash. DC server. The change servers list is also now correct, showing me East Coast cities. I'm guessing it was the clearing of the data and cache that fixed it, but who knows.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

left it on for 30 mins last night and it couldn't find a signal.... i gave up lol

I just used Navigation for the first time today driving home... STUPENDOUS.
    WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5

That I believe has to do with your APN settings... I got the exact issue with speedtest where it always showed Texas and a secondary issue in that the test wouldnt run after ping.
    I changed my APN settings to what people have posted for my particular ATT Account and it found a nearby site and my hspa+ is going faster than it ever did with the same sim in my iphone 4s.

i havent had any issues with google maps. The only GPS issue i have is when I try to use the speed test app it always thinks im in Texas or Kansas. (I'm in California)

Anyone else experience this?

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

left it on for 30 mins last night and it couldn't find a signal.... i gave up lol
    I believe you have a faulty gps/radio. You should contact Google for a replacement. My Gps has been incredibly fast and accurate compared to my SGS2 which would take sometimes 5 minutes to get locked in. My Nexus 4 takes seconds.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I believe you have a faulty gps/radio. You should contact Google for a replacement. My Gps has been incredibly fast and accurate compared to my SGS2 which would take sometimes 5 minutes to get locked in. My Nexus 4 takes seconds.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    that's cause you have a data plan right? and the data plan is enabled? try shutting off wifi and mobile data. use only gps. it's slow. i don't have a data plan so i have to use only the gps.

I'd always recommend a dedicated off-line GPS application such as Sygic, CoPilot or TomTom. These are listed in order of preference.

i have the same GPS offline problem - and it's not supposed to be a problem.
    samsung google nexus gps does not work unless some form of data connection is on - either WIFI or 3G. i used to have HTC G2 phone (android 2.3) and the GPS worked solid in offline mode. never a problem - even though the offline google map feature was still in beta. i traveled all over Europe without turning any data on at all and the gps worked like a charm.
    But with the nexus - if you turn data off, gps works for a little bit, then jams again. no amount of enable/disable google location services helps (contrary to what several blogs are parroting off each other). i downloaded a gps test app and it shows that gps only locks to actual satellites when data is on. as soon as i turn data (wifi or 3G) off, the gps loses the satellites - according to the GPS test app. This seems like a software issue.

Again, GPS does not send data to the satellite. In fact cell phones don't have the power to do that. It only receives data. If you want more specifics, GPS just receives a timestamp from 3 or more satellites. It calculates the coordinates by measuring the distance to the satellites by the difference in the times taken for the signal to get to the receiver. And then it triangulates a position.

Arthur David new member. Found the threads interesting and I agreee that you do not need to be online to use GPS navigation.I had a a mobile that did not have a data connection and used tom tom. Software to navigate accurately from Berkshire in England through France to my flat in Casteldefels in Catalan Spain. All offline.My current problem is that when in maps I try to select work offline I get the message 'can't go offline in selected area'. On refection, after reading the threads, I will try using my blue tooth GPS signal finder with my nexus 7. What do you think?

Global Posts
    3,250 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

i just downloaded new york city offline map with google maps. and now i turn it on without the wifi and i've enabled gps but it can seem to track my location. i've left it for 30 mins and still nothing. is this a problem with my nexus 4 GPS or does google maps not work with GPS in offline mode?
    I don't think anyone actually read what you wrote here. Google Maps does have an offline feature, you can download maps to the device to use offline. The reason your GPS is not working very well is because on it's own it takes awhile to get a fix. In NYC surrounded by huge buildings your view is blocked some what. With data and wifi turned on the phone will use those to get a rough estimate first while GPS is getting a more accurate fix in the background. Without data and wifi GPS will always be slower to get a fix and less accurate if don't have a perfectly clear view of the sky.

So, if you downloaded the map tiles for NYC already. You can turn on data. When you use the maps it will only be using data (a very small amount) to get location information. The maps are already on your phone so it won't be downloading them.

Download GPS toolbox app, you should be able to see how many satellites your phone can "see" while standing on the street. You can also check if you are picking up an GLONASS satellites as well.

N4Newbie,

I was going to write and say pretty much the same thing, but you already said it.

If you want to use google maps when you don't have data connection, go ahead and download the portion of the map when you do have data. The connection to GPS is noticeably slower when you don't have a data connection (look up the difference between aGSP and GPS), but if you are in a place with a clear view to the sky, you should get a connection in a few minutes.

You still need a data connection to search the downloaded map, but I used google maps all through the rural parts of Senegal with no active data. As long as I'd already downloaded the map, I was fine.

nb

I downloaded an offline map that covers the area from my home to my place of work 20 miles away, then put the Nexus 4 into airplane mode.

Went out my front door, got into the car, plugged the phone into the charger. Started Google maps and cancelled out of the request to turn on a data connection, then loaded my offline map. The small blue arrow immediately showed my current location on the map.

As I drove to work, the blue arrow accurately tracked my position on the map. One thing I did notice: with a "live" map, the map automatically moves such that the blue arrow remains in the middle of the screen. However with the offline map, the map remains stationary while the blue arrow moves, eventually moving all the way off screen. At that point, I can either drag the map into position or tap the icon at the top right of the screen to automatically move the arrow back to center screen and center the map. During all this time, the GPS icon was present at the top left of the notification bar.

jinjin12, are you in Manhattan? If so, how does the GPS work for you with "live" maps? I only get to Manhattan a couple of times per year, so haven't experimented much. But, my sense is that GPS would not work very well because the tall buildings would limit the device to only seeing satellites which are more or less directly overhead; not enough to establish a fix in most cases. Can anyone comment on this?
    Dumbphones>Treo 650>Apache>Mogul>Raphael>Palm Pre>Samsung Epic 4g>Evo 4g>Epic 4g Touch>GSM Galaxy Nexus>Galaxy S3 + Nexus 4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast