Benefits of stock Android?

mm625

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
As I've been waiting for my Nexus 4 order to come (on the verge of assuming it will never come, but anyways), I've been using a Galaxy Note 2 as my main phone. I bought the Nexus 4 thinking it would be better to have stock Android and get updates immediately from Google rather than wait for a carrier to decide when to release it, and I could sell the Note 2 to recoup the cost and then some. However, I've been wondering lately, what is the major benefit of stock Android compared to, say, using a launcher a la Nova, whose Prime version gives you cool gestures, unread notifications, more customization over the number of home screens, etc besides the rapid updates? The physique of stock Android can basically be replicated to a T using Nova if that's what you like. At this point, I'm just not sure which phone I would keep, as the Note 2 has turned out to be quite a phone!

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Immediate updates. We've already had an update to 4.2, while most carrier phones are lucky to be on 4.0 or 4.1.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Immediate updates but the thing that I do like about stock android is how it looks. The on screen buttons also look nice and so does the OS as a whole. The samsung S3, I don't like it as much though it does look nice. THe UI of the stock android is better imo but that's just a personal preference.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The first to have Google's coolest new stuff. When new apps are released like Google Talk video chat, Google Chrome, Google Now, etc., they are only compatible with the newest version of Android. And guess who always has the newest version of Android? :)

Sent from my Nexus 4

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Nexus phones are the easiest to hack and modify both for developers and end users. :p

Sent from my mako :)p)

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Faster updates, though I do applaud Samsung for rolling out surprisingly fast updates. I came from an S3 to the Nexus 4 essentially because my only experience with Android was the S3, and I wanted to try out pure Google. However you have a Note II which is no slouch, so I wouldn't expect any crazy performance upgrades in the Nexus 4.

Tervijawn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I found that settings were less 'hidden' within a Nexus device. I'm currently on the Nexus S, waiting for the Nexus 4 to get to my door today, and I've played with both the 7 and the 10. In comparison to TouchWiz on my Tab 2, it just seemed easier to navigate on a Nexus. I also felt like it was easier to customize each device in terms of shortcuts, widgets, appearance and especially ROMs. I've also toyed with a few HTC and other Samsung models and while they're still more 'roomy' compared to iOS, the pure Android experience just blows everything out of the water.

I don't know if its the lack of proprietary software/apps that manufacturers include or something else, but Nexus devices also feel smoother especially with Project Butter in Jelly Bean.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Immediate updates ...

Of course, the problem with immediate updates is that you run the risk of becoming a de facto beta tester. We get the new OS first, identify and report the bugs and app compatibility issues. By the time others get the update (if ever), the bugs and kinks have been worked out.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Consistent design language. Not a cluster of Samsung/Google's vision, or HTC's cartoonish vision.

It's funny how impressions go. I have always thought Samsung a bit more caertoony because of the over saturated colors and would never put Google/Samsung together.

I think the more that Google separates some of the services from the framework the less difference it makes whether you have a NonBlur, Sense, Stock or Touchwiz device. It becomes personal preference largely, I think, based on aesthetics.

I also find that I care less and less about updates. Again, probably related to the separation of services from the framework. About the only thing from 4.2 that I don't have in 4.1 is Photosphere. I don't take any pictures so I don't even think about.

I'm certainly not knocking the N4, I have just been surprised about how little I miss my Galaxy Nexus since getting the DNA. I have kept the Nexus thinking I might move back and forth between the devices, but nearly a month later my GNex is sitting untouched on my office desk.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Of course, the problem with immediate updates is that you run the risk of becoming a de facto beta tester. We get the new OS first, identify and report the bugs and app compatibility issues. By the time others get the update (if ever), the bugs and kinks have been worked out.

Well you don't have to update, you can if you want.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I want a custom experience not what an OEM thinks I want. There's usually an app or ROM for the Nexus to do what I want.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Stick with the note and root it. Way more features available

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
However, I've been wondering lately, what is the major benefit of stock Android compared to, say, using a launcher a la Nova, whose Prime version gives you cool gestures, unread notifications, more customization over the number of home screens, etc besides the rapid updates? The physique of stock Android can basically be replicated to a T using Nova if that's what you like. At this point, I'm just not sure which phone I would keep, as the Note 2 has turned out to be quite a phone!

You can make a phone look like stock Android using Nova Launcher (or others), but replacement launchers are only thin skins and don't go anywhere near the level of customization of manufacturer skins (like TouchWiz, Sense, etc.) As such, a "nova'd" phone may look like stock Android, but it will not behave as such. The Android kernel will be whatever the latest version of Android the manufacturer is using (at this point, 4.1.2 is the best you'll get outside of Nexus Land), and thus the phone may lack features that the Nexus has because the support is not baked in. A phone like the Note 2 is going to have oodles of things that the N4 doesn't of course; Samsung needs those things to differentiate it from other Android phones. However, this results in what I feel is a messy interface full of things you might never use.

It comes down to personal preference. Do you want a lean, mean, Spartan machine that you make your own? Or do you want something with more fluff and refinement tied to a design language you'll never be able to fully expunge without loading a new ROM?

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I prefer my software from the source without a middle man tampering with it, just on principal. I have more trust in Google's judgement than Samsung or HTC.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I prefer my software from the source without a middle man tampering with it, just on principal. I have more trust in Google's judgement than Samsung or HTC.

I did until Google started to mess up their own product by getting rid of 2 of their advantages over iphone

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I did until Google started to mess up their own product by getting rid of 2 of their advantages over iphone

Not sure which two of the advantages you are talking about that they got rid of but this is why we have android. It is almost completely customizable and you are able to add the function back again. Rooting also helps.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Not sure which two of the advantages you are talking about that they got rid of but this is why we have android. It is almost completely customizable and you are able to add the function back again. Rooting also helps.

He is likely talking about expandable storage and removable battery....

Two things I happen to not care about. But I realize these are big deals for some people.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
He is likely talking about expandable storage and removable battery....

Two things I happen to not care about. But I realize these are big deals for some people.

To me, removable battery would be a great bonus, but I really don't understand how so many people can be so upset with not having more than 16gb of storage when there are so many other methods to get to your data (cloud, etc). If you are really out of data range and absolutely need so much space for media content, you should have an actual media device of some sort with you like a tablet. You are really going way beyond what a smartphone is designed to offer.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Non user replaceable battery which is something that should be available on all phones (it's impossible to get a whole 24 hours of usage out of a smartphone so why cripple the battery swapping) and what makes the nexus bad is you can't replace your battery and the battery life isn't good. Dumb decision for Google. And before some idiot says "you want good battery life buy a maxx" if I wanted a wack phone with great battery life I would have gotten one.

Non expendable storage isn't good either because phones are basically forcing you to use cloud services which isn't a viable alternative because the unlimited data plans are gone on the 2 biggest carriers. Good luck using the cloud when you are at your data allowance trying to pull something off the cloud. Overage waiting to happen.

LG took crippling of the phone even further and disabled OTG support so you can't even use a flash drive to update the storage!

It's like Google and manufacturers sat down together and thought "what advantages we have over Apple that we can get rid of?"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1