Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the 'value' plans where you have a remaining balance due on the phone, normally billed out to you over a period of time (I think it's either 15 or 18 months, not sure). With purchase under a 'classic' plan, T-mo takes a subsidy against the device, selling it outright to you for $199. Their only recourse for recovery is the ETF, $200, whose primary purpose is cost recovery against device subsidy.
    No. If its cancelled during buyers remorse and you keep the phone you will be billed the difference. Do you think carriers are dumb. Why would anyone buy a phone then just get a phone for free or $99 then cancel in 15 days then sign up for prepay.

Once you enter the contract, THEN the only recourse is the ETF. If you cancel before you will be billed if you don't return the phone

Default Re: T-Mobile Nexus 4 contract cancelled

While now this is a hypothetical situation, it was very real until about a week ago:

Google Play out of stock, phone going on the open market for $400-500 second hand -- so without warranty.

Buy from T-Mo under classic plan for $199 (sign up through a business sales rep (they will gladly sell individual lines) to save activation fee, possibly get a better price). 16 days later, cancel, pay $200 ETF. Own the phone for $199 + tax + 200 = ~ $420. That's a premium of about $25 over the cost from Play store, and you still have a warranty. You'll also have had to pay for service for that timeframe, but you also have that service to start with before switching it to another service provider (and you can port your number to T-mo at the start ,and away at the end).

In short, you pay a small premium over the Play store price, but get it much, much faster, and for less than buying it second-hand without warranty.

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    While now this is a hypothetical situation, it was very real until about a week ago:

Google Play out of stock, phone going on the open market for $400-500 second hand -- so without warranty.

Buy from T-Mo under classic plan for $199 (sign up through a business sales rep (they will gladly sell individual lines) to save activation fee, possibly get a better price). 16 days later, cancel, pay $200 ETF. Own the phone for $199 + tax + 200 = ~ $420. That's a premium of about $25 over the cost from Play store, and you still have a warranty. You'll also have had to pay for service for that timeframe, but you also have that service to start with before switching it to another service provider (and you can port your number to T-mo at the start ,and away at the end).

In short, you pay a small premium over the Play store price, but get it much, much faster, and for less than buying it second-hand without warranty.
    If you read around LG is honoring the warranty on the device when Google Play doesn't. Also I called Google Play while picking up my Nexus 4 second hand. They asked for the IMEI and may Google account email address and I was all set.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

I was just charged the 199 etf....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12