2 Weeks With the Nexus 4

Rezorate

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
ok now i have had it. if there is one thing android is not it is cluttered. Every one who owns an iphone has a grid of icons or folders on their homescreen. that is the ugliest thing to look at when first picking up your phone. In current android you have a home screen which you can make extremely minimalistic with folders or very few icons and one clock widget then keep all other apps on a separate screen or in the app drawer.

compare http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Galaxy-Nexus-Last-Call.png

to http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/09/17/06_archimedes_35438535_620x433.jpg

While i do agree withe the fact that the power button creaks, mine does as well. The rest of the build quality of this phone is stunning. Even my iphone friends marveled at how nice it feels in hand and how "this is the first android phone they have seen that they would consider owning"

chrome has been sluggish on other devices but i can honestly say it does not lag on the nexus 4 since it has the ram and processor speed to support it. I personally use dolphin since you can use flash with it but save that one fact i would definitely be using chrome.

The camera on the Nexus 4 is great in my opinion. Especially when you consider the HDR mode, landscape, photosphere and radial menus. I have not owned an iphone so they may have better cameras but my phone has been capturing some amazing shots.

I think you are just better suited for an iphone. It sounds pretty clear that you want something to "just work" out of the box like most iphone users do. That is fine. But android provides a different experience that every one on this forum loves. We love it because it is open and we have control to do what we want to our phones to make them exactly how we want them. We are passionate about these things. So when you come here to trash a phone and os that so many love you should expect people to bash you. Especially if your points are unfounded and just opinions of an apple loyalist with confirmation bias.

you wouldnt go to a exotic car forum and say cars are small and lame i love trucks would you? you werent seeking for help from us. you wanted to trash android.

Unfounded opinions? The power button squeaking is unfounded? The plastic bevel is unfounded? The lag on Chrome is unfounded? The gap in the phone is unfounded? Buddy, I think you need to go back to English class and learn what that word means.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Unfounded opinions? The power button squeaking is unfounded? The plastic bevel is unfounded? The lag on Chrome is unfounded? The gap in the phone is unfounded? Buddy, I think you need to go back to English class and learn what that word means.

Seriously you have no clue..Typical. I know your incompetent but did you ever realize you might have received a defected phone? It happens and unlike apple we notice our issues instead of hiding it or telling you your holding it wrong. You say its slow, laggy, the screen is bad etc send it back get a new one or just stick to the iDIOT OS cause that's how your making yourself look like in here. Please someone close this thread cause its only going to get worse for him

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
ok now i have had it. if there is one thing android is not it is cluttered. Every one who owns an iphone has a grid of icons or folders on their homescreen. that is the ugliest thing to look at when first picking up your phone. In current android you have a home screen which you can make extremely minimalistic with folders or very few icons and one clock widget then keep all other apps on a separate screen or in the app drawer.

compare http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Galaxy-Nexus-Last-Call.png

to http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/09/17/06_archimedes_35438535_620x433.jpg

While i do agree withe the fact that the power button creaks, mine does as well. The rest of the build quality of this phone is stunning. Even my iphone friends marveled at how nice it feels in hand and how "this is the first android phone they have seen that they would consider owning"

chrome has been sluggish on other devices but i can honestly say it does not lag on the nexus 4 since it has the ram and processor speed to support it. I personally use dolphin since you can use flash with it but save that one fact i would definitely be using chrome.

The camera on the Nexus 4 is great in my opinion. Especially when you consider the HDR mode, landscape, photosphere and radial menus. I have not owned an iphone so they may have better cameras but my phone has been capturing some amazing shots.

I think you are just better suited for an iphone. It sounds pretty clear that you want something to "just work" out of the box like most iphone users do. That is fine. But android provides a different experience that every one on this forum loves. We love it because it is open and we have control to do what we want to our phones to make them exactly how we want them. We are passionate about these things. So when you come here to trash a phone and os that so many love you should expect people to bash you. Especially if your points are unfounded and just opinions of an apple loyalist with confirmation bias.

you wouldnt go to a exotic car forum and say cars are small and lame i love trucks would you? you werent seeking for help from us. you wanted to trash android.

You do know on the iPhone you can have the screen set up the same way right to not look like the apple commercial picture you have there see screen shot. I'm just saying.... The guy had some issues lets stay positive instead of going on about folks that use one platform have low IQ and what not geesh. I am a fan of both really all OS. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355953767.754130.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Seriously you have no clue..Typical. I know your incompetent but did you ever realize you might have received a defected phone? It happens and unlike apple we notice our issues instead of hiding it or telling you your holding it wrong. You say its slow, laggy, the screen is bad etc send it back get a new one or just stick to the iDIOT OS cause that's how your making yourself look like in here. Please someone close this thread cause its only going to get worse for him

I take offense to this comment. Are you saying that because someone uses IOS that they are idiots? That comment surely does not represent the majority of android users I have both android and IOS each offers something that I like and I choose to keep both. This is a case of taking things to personal when you shouldn't.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Clearly you going ad hominem and attacking my English shows that you are just frustrated and don't have any good arguments.

I conceded the point on the button squeaking earlier. That is an extremely minor annoyance though.

Metal is more expensive and nicer than plastic in general but the iphone 5 has tons of problems with the aluminum bezel denting. Do you recommend android implement that? I think whining about the plastic bezel is like complaining about the steering wheel of a Ferrari being pleather and not real leather. You probably wouldn't know or care unless you specially tried to identify it and you are focusing on the wrong part of what makes the machine great.

Chrome has no lag for me on my Nexus 4. It was known for having problems on devices with less ram like the galaxy nexus. The nexus 4 cleared all of that up in my experience. A lot of reviewers have said the same thing. if you don't like it, install a different browser.

My phone has no gap, you must have gotten a defective unit.

but as other have said, switching mobile operating systems means relearning a lot of things and is an investment of time and apps. It took me a long time to fully understand the capabilities of android after switching from BB. I loved my first android (g nex) as soon as i got it but over time learned more and more of how to make it even better and make it my own. you dipped your toe in the water and said the entire ocean sucks. Good riddance

Last edited:

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You do know on the iPhone you can have the screen set up the same way right to not look like the apple commercial picture you have there see screen shot. I'm just saying.... The guy had some issues lets stay positive instead of going on about folks that use one platform have low IQ and what not geesh. I am a fan of both really all OS. View attachment 53692

fair point. I knew you could make folders but i have not seen some one set an iphone up like that before. but that is an exception to the rule.

if you looked at 100 iphones and 100 android phones most of the iphones would have more cluttered home screens. Android phones come stock with clock widgets and home screen folders to give it the minimal feel. iOS by default has a grid of icons. Most users arent going to reinvent the icon template they are given.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Alright, I'm getting a little pissed off. Grow the up, and stop insulting people over the internet. Did I say I couldn't navigate the phone? No. Did I say it was confusing? Yes. There is an enormous difference between the two.

"So suck it with peoples replies including my own." -- are you kidding me? Are you a middle-schooler?
"Well I guess when your confined to apples walls you become incompetent to the rest of the world." -- So, working with and programming on 3 different computer OS' is impotent? I'd love to see your example of being capable.
"Look, this might seem harsh to you seeing all these comments but read what your saying." -- What I said was my ing opinion. Am I wrong to state how I feel about something?

Grow up and stop insulting people, yet I didn't insult you in my post but you say i'm 12 based on what exactly? An avatar? And now your calling people middle schoolers because they don't agree with you? I think your the one that needs to grow up pal. I did not insult you at all in my post just offered advice and you got upset. But whatever, it's a phone. If you think Android is confusing, I don't know why you got the phone in the first place. Just sell your N4 on Ebay or Craigslist or something and pick up the iPhone 5. I guarantee you no one here cares what you have in your pocket. We're just pointing out the flaws in the argument you made against the phone. Simple as that buddy.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
If I can play devil's advocate to both sides here...

The Android and iPhone ecosystem are vastly different. Apple keeps everything in-house and designs their OS to run on ONLY their flagship device. All development for hardware and software is done by Apple and it is a very neat and tidy closed system. Android, however, at the OS level, is an open-source project, which can be utilized by any hardware manufacturer within the accepted license guidelines. A lot of folks talk about how buggy Android is or about the massive amount of fragmentation there is within the Android ecosystem -- and these people are right -- but the blame here doesn't always lie on Google's development of the OS, but rather the open-source nature of it. After all, it's not Google's fault if a third party hardware manufacturer takes Android and runs it on an inferior devices with poorly written kernels and never update it. It is, however, Google's image that gets tarnished when this happens -- which is why I believe they've done a lot of work re-vising and/or refining of the Nexus line.

The Nexus line, Google's "flagship" device line, are devices that, in it's current model, are designed to showcase the Android OS. Google's approach has been to showcase their OS on devices that utilize fairly high quality materials in design and push the limits of computing specifications for time when the model is introduced. In spite of that, however, Google also keeps the devices VERY simple when it comes to additional hardware specs. You won't find things like removable batteries and expansion storage and other bells and whistles on the hardware itself (the N4 doesn't even support LTE). Using this model, Google has been able to create some great, albeit no frills, affordable devices -- devices that not only run the latest software with ease, but are also guaranteed to get updated quickly when new Android versions are released.

To some, running a clean, up-to-date stock version of the OS is a top priority. If you're an app developer, it's almost critical -- and folks love the Nexus line of phones and tablets for that reason. I think though, that to call Nexus the "BEST" Android phones is very incorrect. Yes, the Nexus line is generally at the top of the Android food chain, but there are quite a few high-end Android devices that are (again, in my opinion) far superior, and, for that matter, better to compare to the iPhone experience. The obvious easiest place to start is with the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Unlike Nexus phones, that are confined to be built within the guidelines of the Nexus model, phones such as the S3 has a lot more features in terms of hardware and software. Some folks don't need it, some folks don't even want it, and that's fine. While I wasn't necessarily a fan of it in the past, I actually feel like Samsung has done a great job with deploying their TouchWiz UI -- which not only adds a level of aesthetics, but also quite a few additional components and functionality to the Android OS -- to their current line of devices running ICS and JB.

Now, back to my original point: The iPhone is designed to be impressive and competitive in both the hardware and software realms by Apple. You can't by an LG phone running iOS nor does Apple make phones that run anything else -- it is, by default, the gold standard for the entire Apple ecosystem. The Nexus phones, however, are only designed to be the optimal showcase for the Android OS -- Google intentionally doesn't try to compete with hardware specs when it comes to contracting the production of these phones -- both to maintain an ideal environment for development (the phone's target audience) and keep prices affordable enough to be sold off-contract.

In other words, from a hardware stand point, I'm not sure it's fair to compare the iPhone to the N4. The OP himself mentioned that the price was one his motivators in buying it, and frankly, there's a reason the N4 is as affordable as it is. A device like the S3, which was designed to compete at all levels (hardware and software) with all competitors on the market is a more fair device to compare to the iPhone. It may still lose that fight in the eyes of the OP, but it's at least it's a fair fight.

Speaking strictly software, the OP and I will have to agree to disagree on that one. Since ICS I fully believe that Android can go head-to-head with iOS and come out on top (but not necessary before ICS). iOS is just too closed and too limited for me, although I admit it is those same limitations (or, if you prefer, simplicity) that inspire much of it's accolades from the masses.

Last edited:

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for not being rude to me. I am honestly amazed at the hostility on this forum, as I thought it was made up of a more mature, less-touchy adult group. I think I will give it a few more days and see if I can get it to where I like it. OCD is my main problem when it comes to phones, which is, I believe, why I love Apple's phones so much. I hate it when my device seems 'cluttered' - which, as you can see, is sort of what the Android ecosystem is when compared to iOS.

I'm not sure why you feel Android is cluttered. It takes very little effort to remove everything from your home screens and hide your apps behind the app button. You can have nothing but a clock face if you want (or nothing at all, if that's your preference). Both iOS and Android allow for moving icons around and merging them into folders, so how is Android more cluttered than iOS? Install a launcher like Nova and download an iOS theme, and you can even make Android look like iOS with the exact same grid of icons and everything.

Again, though, if you don't want to go to that effort, you'll probably be happier with the iPhone.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If anyone wants to argue why one phone is or isn't better than another, that's great - but don't make it personal. If this thread can't stay in that direction, I have no problem closing it down.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
If I can play devil's advocate to both sides here...

The Android and iPhone ecosystem are vastly different. Apple keeps everything in-house and designs their OS to run on ONLY their flagship device. All development for hardware and software is done by Apple and it is a very neat and tidy closed system. Android, however, at the OS level, is an open-source project, which can be utilized by any hardware manufacturer within the accepted license guidelines. A lot of folks talk about how buggy Android is or about the massive amount of fragmentation there is within the Android ecosystem -- and these people are right -- but the blame here doesn't always lie on Google's development of the OS, but rather the open-source nature of it. After all, it's not Google's fault if a third party hardware manufacturer takes Android and runs it on an inferior devices with poorly written kernels and never update it. It is, however, Google's image that gets tarnished when this happens -- which is why I believe they've done a lot of work re-vising and/or refining of the Nexus line.

The Nexus line, Google's "flagship" device line, are devices that, in it's current model, are designed to showcase the Android OS. Google's approach has been to showcase their OS on devices that utilize fairly high quality materials in design and push the limits of computing specifications for time when the model is introduced. In spite of that, however, Google also keeps the devices VERY simple when it comes to additional hardware specs. You won't find things like removable batteries and expansion storage and other bells and whistles on the hardware itself (the N4 doesn't even support LTE). Using this model, Google has been able to create some great, albeit no frills, affordable devices -- devices that not only run the latest software with ease, but are also guaranteed to get updated quickly when new Android versions are released.

To some, running a clean, up-to-date stock version of the OS is a top priority. If you're an app developer, it's almost critical -- and folks love the Nexus line of phones and tablets for that reason. I think though, that to call Nexus the "BEST" Android phones is very incorrect. Yes, the Nexus line is generally at the top of the Android food chain, but there are quite a few high-end Android devices that are (again, in my opinion) far superior, and, for that matter, better to compare to the iPhone experience. The obvious easiest place to start is with the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Unlike Nexus phones, that are confined to be built within the guidelines of the Nexus model, phones such as the S3 has a lot more features in terms of hardware and software. Some folks don't need it, some folks don't even want it, and that's fine. While I wasn't necessarily a fan of it in the past, I actually feel like Samsung has done a great job with deploying their TouchWiz UI -- which not only adds a level of aesthetics, but also quite a few additional components and functionality to the Android OS -- to their current line of devices running ICS and JB.

Now, back to my original point: The iPhone is designed to be impressive and competitive in both the hardware and software realms by Apple. You can't by an LG phone running iOS nor does Apple make phones that run anything else -- it is, by default, the gold standard for the entire Apple ecosystem. The Nexus phones, however, are only designed to be the optimal showcase for the Android OS -- Google intentionally doesn't try to compete with hardware specs when it comes to contracting the production of these phones -- both to maintain an ideal environment for development (the phone's target audience) and keep prices affordable enough to be sold off-contract.

In other words, from a hardware stand point, I'm not sure it's fair to compare the iPhone to the N4. The OP himself mentioned that the price was one his motivators in buying it, and frankly, there's a reason the N4 is as affordable as it is. A device like the S3, which was designed to compete at all levels (hardware and software) with all competitors on the market is a more fair device to compare to the iPhone. It may still lose that fight in the eyes of the OP, but it's at least it's a fair fight.

Speaking strictly software, the OP and I will have to agree to disagree on that one. Since ICS I fully believe that Android can go head-to-head with iOS and come out on top (but not necessary before ICS). iOS is just too closed and too limited for me, although I admit it is those same limitations (or, if you prefer, simplicity) that inspire much of it's accolades from the masses.

touchwiz.. Exynos 4.. AMOLED screen.. capacitive and physical buttons vs cutting edge stock android.. snapdragon s4 pro.. IPS screen with higher ppi... on screen buttons

ill give the s3 LTE and higher storage.. but besides that the Nexus 4 clearly is a better phone.

scott.deagan

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I strongly agree with the OP about the Chrome browser lag. It's awful. Scrolling in Chrome isn't consistent - sometimes it's smooth, but then it will jitter, sometimes a gesture will not be processed for half a second (before the gesture's action is executed). Folks can argue all they like and post "everything is smooth on my Nexus 4", but it doesn't make it so. I despise Google for killing the AOSP browser (Browser.apk) and replacing it with Chrome. Chrome on the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 is a disaster. It completely crushes the end-user experience with it's bugginess/jankiness. It's not a smooth experience. And for those who say "mine's smooth", just Google "Chrome laggy Nexus 4".

I've tried the Dolphin and xScope browsers, but the experience is pretty much the same (slight improvement with Dolphin).

Google has never been able to nail the user-experience on Android, and I don't think they ever will. The reason why is because it's a Virtual Machine. They can optimize all they like, whenever you're using a JVM (oops, sorry, a "Dalvik Virtual Machine"), you're still going to take a performance hit. In Android, it really shows. To maintain smoothness (CONSISTENT smoothness), you need to be able to complete all rendering within a 16ms timeframe. Failure to do so will either result in tearing (a frame that is missing parts or has regions rendered from a previous frame), or jank (the frame doesn't update because it hasn't finished rendering), and even with 4 fast cores, Android still fails. To make matters worse, you have this magical garbage collector that kicks in whenever it feels like it.

Android works, and it's a very capable "operating system" (I use that term lightly here). In terms of functionality, it's great. Where is fails is in the UX (user experience) department.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I can see where the OP is coming from.. I'm one of those guys that prefers the "official" apps that come with the phone which are supposed to be the best. This is my first android phone and was a bit confused why simple things like file explorers, memo pads, voice recorders etc were missing. But after a few weeks with the device and reading forums, I now understand the power you have to personalise and customise the phone however you want and that is the beauty of android even without rooting, custom ROMs and the rest of it. Nexus 4 is also pure vanilla meaning it really is just like a skeleton compared to the UIs and other features manufacturers include with other android phones.. Touchwiz, sense etc. I bet no two nexus 4s look the same but I can see how every iPhone 4/5 whatever will look very similar.

It really is down to personal preference.. do you like being told what to do? Or do you like the freedom.. I personally have had no issues with Chrome, but if you really don't like the app there are many (better) replacements. As for the camera, many people will agree its not the best but is it really that much of a problem? I'm not a professional photographer nor am I concerned that the pictures might come out a little better on another device, it is a real upgrade from my 2.3 megapixel camera that I had on my blackberry. Finally, the build quality, tbh personally I think the device looks really sleek and love the design of it.. But again that's personal preference. As for your bezel lifting, maybe you have just got a bad device, it happens to every manufacturer. Many people have got perfectly fine devices that work and have had no problems with it, like me for example. (Touch wood).

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
touchwiz.. Exynos 4.. AMOLED screen.. capacitive and physical buttons vs cutting edge stock android.. snapdragon s4 pro.. IPS screen with higher ppi... on screen buttons

ill give the s3 LTE and higher storage.. but besides that the Nexus 4 clearly is a better phone.

A bit late to respond I realize, but I just used the S3 as a popular example. It may not have been the best example but it was just to point out that there are flagship devices out there from manufacturers that don't have adhere to some of the strict limitations that the Nexus line has. Frankly, I love Nexus devices, I've owned several.

To many, the features builtin to Touchwiz are an advantage over stock OS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz