- 27 Posts
Poor GPS without wifi switched on?!
Ok so I've had gps on, wifi off and wanted to use maps, have a quick look at Ingress and my location was waaay out. A mile in fact.
Switched on WiFi (but nothing to connect to here, so purely scanning) and my location becomes accurate.
Is this just happening to me? Its a bit convoluted to have to switch on wifi anytime i want maps, google now cards etc to give me sensible information. That mile difference starts me off the other side of a river.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
- 12-21-2012, 11:46 AM #2
- 20 Posts
Re: Poor GPS without wifi switched on?!
Its a good question, and I was always wondering the same! However, I would get GPS results even with ignoring the WiFi suggestion message.
What I do know is--
Cellular phones come with A-GPS (Assisted Global Positioning Systems) .. Not so much a "Pure" GPS system.. It uses cellular towers, together with the GPS signal from the satellite to locate you. Unless there's a process I'm unaware of, I believe Google Maps would also use any public WiFi in the area to further pinpoint your location if the allotted time or signal strength for GPS location is insufficient, it would suggest turning on WiFi to speed things up. GPS signals have always been finicky for me. I've seen GPS signals go to crap with anything from an overcast day, to a dead spot in the city.. I think at one point early this year my phone's GPS was completely useless that time we had a massive solar flare about March 2012 or so, where it couldn't pinpoint my location at all, or inaccurately so for a few days.
- 12-21-2012, 02:56 PM #3
- 12-21-2012, 08:56 PM #5
- 12-21-2012, 09:32 PM #6
- By pilsbury in forum AT&T Inspire 4GReplies: 32Last Post: 06-01-2013, 09:24 AM
- By gray21t in forum Software Development and HackingReplies: 3Last Post: 11-10-2011, 01:46 PM
- By muskrat2k1 in forum Sprint Epic 4GReplies: 0Last Post: 04-13-2011, 01:58 PM
- By striders in forum Barnes & Noble Nook ColorReplies: 2Last Post: 03-18-2011, 10:40 AM
- By ali.fazal in forum Sprint Epic 4GReplies: 7Last Post: 10-25-2010, 07:59 PM