Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Christian Jacob
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What would non 4G speeds be on TMobile?

My N4 is on TMobile's $30 plan, so I'm not worried about exceeding my 5gb of data, but I put my wife (who talks too much) on the $50 plan that has unlimited everything, BUT only 100mg of 4G data. Has anyone run speedtest.net on TMo after the 4G cap was used up? I'm wondering what download speeds she'll get. On 4G (in our area) we're averaging around 14mgb.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Default Re: What would non 4G speeds be on TMobile?

I've run through my 5GB cap a few times streaming Movies and TV shows from my HTPC to my phone. I would get average 2-5 Mb Down as high as 13. After the cap I'd get about 50K down...Absolutely useless till my month restarts.

Thanked by 2:

My wife has an old grandfathered tmo unlimited plan with caps - when she hits the cap, it crawls... haven't tested it, but I would bet it is certainly under 1mbps.
    Thanked by:

well my photo is being approved with screenshots...I've hit my cap a few times because I stream TV and movies to my phone from my HTPC lol. but Its gone down to about 50kb which is useless basically.
    Thanked by:
    hodan likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    My wife has an old grandfathered tmo unlimited plan with caps - when she hits the cap, it crawls... haven't tested it, but I would bet it is certainly under 1mbps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Jacob View Post
    well my photo is being approved with screenshots...I've hit my cap a few times because I stream TV and movies to my phone from my HTPC lol. but Its gone down to about 50kb which is useless basically.
    Sounds like tethering to pc would be useless, but I wonder if that's a good enough speed to use Navigation?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

3G is 7.2 Mbps down or less.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
    3G is 7.2 Mbps down or less.

Where you are? Or are you saying everywhere?

I've never hit the cap but on HSPA+, I regularly get between 8.2-16mbps down and 1.1-3mbps up.

For comparison:

Sprint 3G: 240-430kbps down and 50-125kbps up
    Sprint 4G (WiMax): 2-4mbps down and 90-700kbps up (very slow "up")
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    Well, my wife hit the 100 mg cap already. It only took about 15 hours. I have no idea how she exceeded 100 mg. She's got 1 weather widget that updates every 2 hours, did no web surfing and only a few emails. I can only guess that it was consumed by Android System stuff, which seems excessive.

As to the throttling, according to what her account now says, you get switched to 2G (NOT 3G) after you exceed your 4G data cap. Speedtest.net shows her download averages 115kb. It's no speed demon, but pulling up a web site works, it's just slower...but not at all unusable.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    Well, my wife hit the 100 mg cap already. It only took about 15 hours. I have no idea how she exceeded 100 mg. She's got 1 weather widget that updates every 2 hours, did no web surfing and only a few emails. I can only guess that it was consumed by Android System stuff, which seems excessive.
    Go on her phone, go into settings and data usage and see which apps are using data. (Report back here, people might have solutions)
    Thanked by:

My N4 is on TMobile's $30 plan, so I'm not worried about exceeding my 5gb of data, but I put my wife (who talks too much) on the $50 plan that has unlimited everything, BUT only 100mg of 4G data. Has anyone run speedtest.net on TMo after the 4G cap was used up? I'm wondering what download speeds she'll get. On 4G (in our area) we're averaging around 14mgb.
    Can you say slooowwwww...? Like unusable.

As to the throttling, according to what her account now says, you get switched to 2G (NOT 3G) after you exceed your 4G data cap. Speedtest.net shows her download averages 115kb. It's no speed demon, but pulling up a web site works, it's just slower...but not at all unusable.
    My wife leaves her's on 2G all the time and when reaching the cap it slows to a crawl - so there is still a big difference between 2G and capped. She disabled 3g because she doesn't want to hit her cap too soon. LOL
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Unless I upgrade my plan ill be able to tell you my results in about a week or two. :-) on the 2GB plan switched from the GNex to N4 a day after my billing cycle reset and have already used 750MB in 7 days (that's with using Wifi at home). With the GNex I rarely went over 1 GB a month.

My friend has the $50 pre-paid plan as your wifes and today i tried to mess with his phone to get 3g only instead of 2g with this app called phone info and it worked..all i did was change his radio preference to wcdma only..he gets abot 3-5 mbs which is pretty decent..
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by josegb2011 View Post
    My friend has the $50 pre-paid plan as your wifes and today i tried to mess with his phone to get 3g only instead of 2g with this app called phone info and it worked..all i did was change his radio preference to wcdma only..he gets abot 3-5 mbs which is pretty decent..
    Very interesting, but I can't figure out what the app actually does. It has no description in the Market.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!

I have the $50 Plane, The first 100 Mb was good 9123 kbps, But after that it really sucks 117 Kbps

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by canary_111 View Post
    http://i47.tinypic.com/2505fg8.png

I have the $50 Plane, The first 100 Mb was good 9123 kbps, But after that it really sucks 117 Kbps
    How many days do you have to suffer with that? :-(

I will ask even though it's throttled is it actually EDGE or is it still 3G? Only ask because at least if it's 3G you get the benefit of simultaneous voice and data.

It basically tells you information of your phone like is your battery healthy ,statistics and what not as well shows you the network and what cell radio you are using such as gsm,cdma,lte etc and it allows you to change it to your preference...my sister has a verizon gs3 and for some reason it did not have a setting for turning off 4g so i found this app for her and changed the cell radio preference to cdma instead of lte so she wouldnt go over the limit..

Quote Originally Posted by mwilkins View Post
    How many days do you have to suffer with that? :-(

I will ask even though it's throttled is it actually EDGE or is it still 3G? Only ask because at least if it's 3G you get the benefit of simultaneous voice and data.

The first 100 mb high speed lasts for about week or less. Even tough I just do some surfing and check some emails. The rest of the month was very slow. I got this msg from T-Mobile "Free T-Mobile Msg: You have used 100 MB of data this month at up to 4G speed (if on a capable device). You will now receive unlimited web at basic 2G speed."

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

It's like being on Sprint.

I speak from experience.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Also getting the same speeds as @canary_111's in southern California after going over 100MBs in the $50 monthly 4G plan.

I did not read the fine print and thought I would be throttled to 3G, but alas, you get 2G speeds after going over the limit. Web browsing is bearable but I am switching to the $60 plan next month.