Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Rene has a Nexus 4!

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    5. Android scroll views are still terrible.
    scroll views?

7. Icons are still inconsistent and poorly designed. Hire the Iconfactory already.
    i recommend nova launcher. you can then download any icon pack from the play store etc. (there's a good thread on these very forums for these) and use the custom icons.
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

1. Google Now *crushes* Siri
    i'd also like to know why you think this. im not saying i disagree, i just would like to know how to utilize google now's full potential
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4

Hmmm...I have the S3 and the smoothness rocks and this is after four years with iPhones, odd. The only thing that lags for me on occasion is the keyboard, other than that I'm never switching back.
    Zee

Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hodan View Post
    So was it strictly lack of tablet apps on the Nexus 7? I love mine for HBO go/Netflix and browsing...I've even read a few books on it.
    I loved my nexus 7 until the 4.2 update. Now it has lag from time to time that is really annoying

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member
    Thanked by:

ROM
    MiRaGe/jawz101 kernel

Ha! It's my 4th Android device. I had a G1 (Magic or Dream, whatever they called it in Canada), Nexus One (which I loved), and and Nexus 7 (which I didn't like so much). So far I'm liking the Nexus 4 quite a bit.
    Just out of curiosity, what about the Nexus 7 didn't you like?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP PUB / Franco Kernel

1. Google Now *crushes* Siri fact
    5. Android scroll views are still terrible. Worse than iOS 1. Keyboard lags like iOS 4. I think Butter was a failure and Google needs to re-write UI prioritization from the ground up. (Like Apple needs to re-write multitasking and inter-app communication -- both were bolt-on solutions) try an app like currents or google+. the scrolling animations are much smoother than FB but I agree. This is definitely something android needs to improve on
    7. Icons are still inconsistent and poorly designed. Hire the Iconfactory already. do you mean the stock google icons or third party apps? I don't find the stock icons to be that bad. But try nova launcher and customize any of the icons that you don't like the look of. You can also resize them
    Google Android Affectionado
    badbrad17 likes this.

The only part I have ever noticed lag on the Nexus 4 4.2.1 version is when your in the app drawer and it switches to the widget area. That widget area is disgustingly laggy. Everything else is absolutely perfect.

The scrolling issue I have seen in Facebook and google chrome. With chrome you can just not use it! Thats what I love about android I just download a another app that replaces it. I am using the dolphin beta browser and holy crap is it faster than chrome and the scrolling is super fast.

Unfortunately with facebook they literally just came out with a native android app and obviously its going to take some time for them to make it as nice as that app is on other platforms.

That isn't android though that is the developer of that particular app.

God the nexus 4 is so awesome!

Thats the only place that i see lag as well nova launcher takes care of that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    bobjohnson201 likes this.

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I feel like I'm missing out on unlocking the full benefits of Google now. Someone wanna explain how I can get to utilize it's full potential? Also, I never even noticed the laggy scrolling for widgets in the stock launcher till now since I've been using nova since basically the beginning and always add widgets by long pressing the home screen. IMHO, they shouldn't have gotten rid of this feature from the stock launcher. Also, I actually like the look of the stock icons but again this is very subjective

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Nova launcher, SwiftKey, power amp, wifi explorer pro, and isyncr are some must have apps IMHO

Edit: if you love android themeing (like me), here's a good thread for icon packs [THEMES] Collection of icon packs
    you can also find some on the play store.
    Also, minimalistic text, UCCW, and widget locker are must haves for themeing.
    Last edited by bobjohnson201; 12-24-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Rooted AOSP

My Nexus 4 arrived on Thursday, right before we started recording the Android Central podcast. I've been using it ever since, thanks to a handy nano- to micro-SIM adapter, and enjoying the experience quite a bit.

I've had a Nexus 7 for a couple of months, and it never clicked with me. I need tablet-optimized interfaces and apps on a device that big. I like Jelly Bean *much* more on the Nexus 4.

I'm going to keep using it over the holidays and try to get a good feeling for the state-of-the-art-of-Andoid.

Some quick thoughts so far:

1. Google Now *crushes* Siri
    2. I miss not having my non-Gmail accounts in a unified inbox with my Gmail accounts (I have 2 of each)
    3. Intents are fantastic. The flexibility of apps in general is fantastic.
    4. Google Play is much better than the Android Market I remember (and the App Store sucks worse than it used to in terms of search and curation -- too many scam and junk apps)
    5. Android scroll views are still terrible. Worse than iOS 1. Keyboard lags like iOS 4. I think Butter was a failure and Google needs to re-write UI prioritization from the ground up. (Like Apple needs to re-write multitasking and inter-app communication -- both were bolt-on solutions)
    6. Animation is way better and the overall look is way, way better than pre 4.x versions
    7. Icons are still inconsistent and poorly designed. Hire the Iconfactory already.
    8. I have no use of widgets. Data should come to me no matter where I am. I shouldn't have to go look for it. Actionable notifications are the near-future of UI.
    9. Settings in notification center are awesome, but the two-finger swipe is awkward.
    10. Call quality is fantastic.

AND I HAVEN'T BROKEN ANY GLASS YET!

I'll be posting a bunch more on the N4 here, and on iMore.com so any tips/tricks/feedback/suggestions are welcome.

In between posts, I'll be chatting about it on Twitter, so feel free to yell at me

Now I'm off to figure out how to take a screen shot!
    Rene, try nova launcher for your n7. I am a "keep it stock" kinda guy, but the stock launcher on the n7 couldn't keep up. I find nova on the n7 works MUCH better at handling the cache, and also resizes things to a slightly larger DPI (launcherwise) to give a more tabletesque feel. The stock launcher on the n4 is very buttery..

As for email, just turn off the gmail sync in settings and setup your email through the stock email app. This allows for multiple accounts in a unified inbox. I have an AOL and gmail address in a unified inbox.
    I am a product of my failures.

It's not the law, just a suggestion..

"Let's Flash Together" Bigjobber69.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by andr0idralphie View Post
    There's SwiftKey to replace stock, soon will be (now in beta) to replace SwiftKey.

Enjoy your Nexus 4! As for me, its the smartphone experience I've been waiting for.
    How do I get Swiftkey Flow installed on my N4? I downloaded the file and dropped it into my downloads folder on my phone, but it doesn't show when I go to downloads on my phone. Am I supposed to put the APK in some other folder, and if so, which one? Thanks!

I happen to use Firefox Beta. Unfortunately downloads don't appear to the OS when navigating the Downloads, I either have to use Firefox's menu, choose Tools>Downloads and launch it from there or use a Root Explorer-type app.

Thanks! I originally downloaded it on my computer and then transferred it to my phone. I just downloaded it via dolphin and was able to install it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12