google wallet wont set up

loosecannon6

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Just got my second nexus 4 but when I try to setup wallet it keeps saying device not ready or force closing I'm not rooted so I can't uninstall then reinstall heard that works is there anything else I can do??

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Wallet doesn't work for me either cards won't initialize. Spoke to tech support yesterday and it's being escalated.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I got a replacement yesterday and I can't set up wallet either. I was trying all night and this morning and all I get is a message saying that my device is not initialize and I need to connect to a network or it force closes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Don't know if this will help, but worth a try:

Settings -> Apps. Swipe the screen to the left twice to get to the All apps tab. Scroll down to Wallet, then tap Force Stop, Clear Cache, and Clear Data.

Now, try it again.

anon(43926)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
My took 3 minutes, but eventually went through.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356198555597.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356198555597.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 32

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't know if this will help, but worth a try:

Settings -> Apps. Swipe the screen to the left twice to get to the All apps tab. Scroll down to Wallet, then tap Force Stop, Clear Cache, and Clear Data.

Now, try it again.

I did that last night a few times and it didn't work.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It looks like Google finally cracked down on not allowing rooted phones to use Wallet. My rooted GNex worked just fine.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
It looks like Google finally cracked down on not allowing rooted phones to use Wallet. My rooted GNex worked just fine.

My phone isn't rooted. Actually is brand new out of the box.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I received this from Google today:

It appears that your phone has experienced a rare hardware error with the Secure Element that makes it incompatible with the Google Wallet mobile app. We are currently working with our hardware partner to address this particular error and we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. If you wish to continue using Google Wallet, we recommend contacting your phone carrier or the retailer from whom you purchased your phone to learn more about your options to remedy the issue with your device?s Secure Element.

Thank you for your patience with this issue. We appreciate your help as we work to improve Google Wallet.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I received this from Google today:

It appears that your phone has experienced a rare hardware error with the Secure Element that makes it incompatible with the Google Wallet mobile app. We are currently working with our hardware partner to address this particular error and we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. If you wish to continue using Google Wallet, we recommend contacting your phone carrier or the retailer from whom you purchased your phone to learn more about your options to remedy the issue with your device?s Secure Element.

Thank you for your patience with this issue. We appreciate your help as we work to improve Google Wallet.

Sounds like it might be related to carrier then. Can anyone not getting it to work confirm their carrier?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Wallet works with rooted phones just fine. You get the "Unsupported Device" disclaimer banner but otherwise it's 100% functional. Not sure why some of you are having issues but I would just keep trying. I guarantee you that root is not the culprit.

I am rooted and running AOKP on my device and have Wallet working. Launched and set up without issue. Do note that if you run a custom ROM that did not include wallet you must install wallet as a system app.. I have a thread in the Rooting section on that.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Wallet works with rooted phones just fine. You get the "Unsupported Device" disclaimer banner but otherwise it's 100% functional. Not sure why some of you are having issues but I would just keep trying. I guarantee you that root is not the culprit.

I am rooted and running AOKP on my device and have Wallet working. Launched and set up without issue. Do note that if you run a custom ROM that did not include wallet you must install wallet as a system app.. I have a thread in the Rooting section on that.

That might be it CyanogenMod and it's included happy do not have wallet baked in. However I did move the wallet apk to system/app and same result.

May try to flash the factory image and see if that does anything.

Last edited:

Irishgator

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I am using a new Nexus 4 that is completely stock. I have barely had time to set anything up. I am getting the same issue. Just called support who transferred me to Google Wallet support. He acknowledged it was a known issue they are work on . His recommendation to me was to switch carriers (before he asked who my carrier was). By the end of the discussion, he basically told me that Google Wallet does not work with AT&T and T-Mobile. So I asked which carrier I would switch to, as the are the two supporting the Nexus 4. He mentioned Sprint... Not sure when or how this issue will be fixed with support like this...

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I used Google Wallet on my Nexus with T-Mobile service. I just got a Nexus 4 and Wallet doesn't work. It initializes, but it won't add my credit card. It says that the info is wrong, and if I try too many times it locks me out for 24 hours. I sent an email to Wallet support, but I haven't heard back yet.

I had to get a micro SIM to use in the Nexus 4, and I've read that T-Mobile has ISIS micro SIM cards. From what I can figure out it seems that the ISIS SIM card has NFC built in, which conflicts with the device's NFC. My wife now uses the Nexus I had, and Wallet works find with her Straight Talk (AT&T) SIM. Maybe I should put my T-Mobile SIM in her phone with an adapter and see if Wallet works...

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I used Google Wallet on my Nexus with T-Mobile service. I just got a Nexus 4 and Wallet doesn't work. It initializes, but it won't add my credit card. It says that the info is wrong, and if I try too many times it locks me out for 24 hours. I sent an email to Wallet support, but I haven't heard back yet.

I had to get a micro SIM to use in the Nexus 4, and I've read that T-Mobile has ISIS micro SIM cards. From what I can figure out it seems that the ISIS SIM card has NFC built in, which conflicts with the device's NFC. My wife now uses the Nexus I had, and Wallet works find with her Straight Talk (AT&T) SIM. Maybe I should put my T-Mobile SIM in her phone with an adapter and see if Wallet works...

Same here but I used the same SIM in both phones (had a T-mobile store cut it for me) and that SIM is over a year old and worked fine with wallet on my GNex but not with my N4.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Same here but I used the same SIM in both phones (had a T-mobile store cut it for me) and that SIM is over a year old and worked fine with wallet on my GNex but not with my N4.

OK, that proves that the issue isn't the SIM card itself then. I got a new SIM for the Nexus 4, which leaves open the possibility of the SIM being the problem. It seems that some Nexus 4's are having problems with Wallet though.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone just tried adding their card via desktop or somewhere else? I never had to add a card to wallet and it works fine for me - stock.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance