Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Default Re: Nexus 4 buttons

Ya this is also one of my complaints. The screen is bigger than my SGS2, but it really doesn't give me that much more room with the buttons on screen. If you see a side by side with the DNA its very significant. The odd thing is that there is room below the screen that most phones use for buttons. I think they should have used a bit more of this space.

But what I do like is that the buttons dim with the screen brightness. The capacitive buttons on my SGS2 were really bright when reading in the dark with no option to dim them. You could only have them turn off after a certain time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Sorry if I've missed something here but is there a way to add a search softkey to the three standard ones on the vanilla nexus 4?
    I prefer the layout of keys from older versions of android (menu home back and search)
    I don't particularly want to move away from the stock ROM but will if this is the only way.
    Cheers

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

This is the reason I like on screen buttons better:

Also if anyone is wondering I am running Paranoid Android 3.60.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler4 View Post
    Sorry if I've missed something here but is there a way to add a search softkey to the three standard ones on the vanilla nexus 4?
    I prefer the layout of keys from older versions of android (menu home back and search)
    I don't particularly want to move away from the stock ROM but will if this is the only way.
    Cheers
    As far as I know you need a custom rom to do that. The rom I am using, Paranoid Android, lets you do that and I am pretty sure CM10 and AOKP let you do it as well. I know at least older versions of AOKP even let you put custom applications on your navigation bar so that could be interesting.

Blind Freddy can see that within a few years, all smartphones will have softkeys. More responsive, much better use of phone real-estate, adaptive/context based positioning, much more reliable and resilient, not tolerant to lint/wear failure, sleeker looking, and on top of all that, cheaper to produce.

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by chowdog13 View Post
    do the touch screen buttons get annoying or do you hardly notice it?
    I was a HUGE critic of this at first, but they have grown on me. It might be simply because the phone is so fast the UI can keep up, but there is never any lag (and I mean never). They feel like hardware buttons as far as response. And as a bonus, you can change their appearance if you want.

They do take up screen real estate but it has not bothered me as much as I expected it to.

I like the soft keys on the screen. One of the things I didn't like was the experience with other devices that had capacitive keys and home buttons. Home buttons would get loose after a while. And the backlit capacitive ones would be inconsistently lit. Sometimes the backlight would bleed through, sometimes the backlighting would not be bright enough. Onscreen buttons make it perfect.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

I love 'em! They're great! Prefer it much more than the S3 home button.

I have no issues with them. Plus there's no point of failure.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12