Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 4 buttons

do the touch screen buttons get annoying or do you hardly notice it?

Default Re: Nexus 4 buttons

Quote Originally Posted by chowdog13 View Post
    do the touch screen buttons get annoying or do you hardly notice it?
    I hardly notice it. I was a Nexus S user for more than a year and i was used to physical button.
    software button dont bother me at all.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

Not annoying at all. I actually prefer them over capacitive buttons.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    andr0idralphie likes this.

Ditto. They're quite responsive and that's what ultimately matters to me.
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~
    ~~~WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5~~~

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

At first I didn't like them, but finally find they are quite nice. I like how they change sides and orient themselves so they are right side up. Very neat. What I don't like is that it takes up the 4.7 inch screen making the screen a tad smaller.

Since they are onscreen buttons is there an app or something that can change what buttons you have? It would be cool if you customize it.

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts

I still don't like that they take up screen space , but I've completely gotten used to them coming from a galaxy s3 and before that an evo.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Biggnaa20 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vNaK View Post
    At first I didn't like them, but finally find they are quite nice. I like how they change sides and orient themselves so they are right side up. Very neat. What I don't like is that it takes up the 4.7 inch screen making the screen a tad smaller.

Since they are onscreen buttons is there an app or something that can change what buttons you have? It would be cool if you customize it.
    You sure can customize. Check this thread.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2005937

Sent from my mako ()
    Thanked by:
    vNaK 
    celliott96 likes this.

I'm still getting used to using the on-screen buttons after my HTC Sensation XL.

I dunno, do hardware buttons ever get not annoying?

What I don't like is that it takes up the 4.7 inch screen making the screen a tad smaller.
    I still don't like that they take up screen space
    See, I don't get this complaint. Why would you want you screen any taller, except for videos (at which point they disappear anyway)?

I love the squarish-ness of the screen over say, the S3. I like the extra width, as it makes reading in portrait mode nicer, but I can just barely reach the Google address bar at the top with my thumb as it is. I tried a droid DNA the other day, and the tall screen felt really awkward.

To me it is best of both worlds... a comfortable size screen when you need to navigate with one hand, a nice wide screen for videos.

Guess what. If you don't like the buttons, you can remove it and then put it onto the power button (when you hold it down, the options that were on the bottom are now in the pop-up that the poewrbutton has.

You don't notice them...

PAST PHONES: iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Atrix 4G, HTC One X, Samsung S3, Nexus 4, Blackberry Z10, iPhone 5
    CURRENT PHONE: Motorola Moto X
    OTHER DEVICES: Nexus 7, MacBook Pro (2008), Asus Win8 Laptop, ASUS Iconia Tab, Microsoft Surface RT, Custom Desktop Win7

Coming from a mytouch 4g I have to say that onscreen buttons took me no time to get used to. Honestly the only complaint I have is that it takes up potential screen space.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Guess what. If you don't like the buttons, you can remove it and then put it onto the power button (when you hold it down, the options that were on the bottom are now in the pop-up that the poewrbutton has.
    I don't think I would want to do this, but still wondering - how is this accomplished?

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    I don't think I would want to do this, but still wondering - how is this accomplished?
    I forgot exactly, sorry but there is an application. Maybe it involves rooting?

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    There are custom ROMs that have this feature. I know that AOKP includes settings to turn off the on-screen buttons and show them in the power menu.

Sent from my SGSIII

Quote Originally Posted by NotJustAPhone View Post
    There are custom ROMs that have this feature. I know that AOKP includes settings to turn off the on-screen buttons and show them in the power menu.

Sent from my SGSIII
    Ohh yeah it is a custom rom, I saw it on the GNex with a ROM to upgrade it to 4.2, still forgot the name though but i'll find it

pretty sure that's it

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copperwatt View Post
    See, I don't get this complaint. Why would you want you screen any taller, except for videos (at which point they disappear anyway)?

I love the squarish-ness of the screen over say, the S3. I like the extra width, as it makes reading in portrait mode nicer, but I can just barely reach the Google address bar at the top with my thumb as it is. I tried a droid DNA the other day, and the tall screen felt really awkward.

To me it is best of both worlds... a comfortable size screen when you need to navigate with one hand, a nice wide screen for videos.
    When it's advertised as 4.7" screen, I'm expecting 4.7" of usable screen. My Note 2 is 5.5" and it's 5.5" of usable screen, same with my SGS1 and HTC Sensation. I thought it was going to be a nice jump in screen size from my Sensation, but in reality it was only about .2" more.

I had no problems with the DNA screen size. 5" usable was quite nice. Didn't notice the awkward feeling of it being tall, but it's going to be different for everyone.

When it's advertised as 4.7" screen, I'm expecting 4.7" of usable screen. My Note 2 is 5.5" and it's 5.5" of usable screen, same with my SGS1 and HTC Sensation. I thought it was going to be a nice jump in screen size from my Sensation, but in reality it was only about .2" more.

I had no problems with the DNA screen size. 5" usable was quite nice. Didn't notice the awkward feeling of it being tall, but it's going to be different for everyone.
    I love how the software buttons look and all (much better than the S3 imo) but I hate how it takes some of the screen. I would've been fine with the buttons similar to the S3 if it didn't take up space on the screen but oh well, I can just remove it when I want to on certain apps when I root it

Software buttons are context sensitive, so applications can use the whole screen if need be and they can move around the screen based on orientation of the phone.
    Hardware buttons are always just sitting there in the way.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Software buttons are context sensitive, so applications can use the whole screen if need be and they can move around the screen based on orientation of the phone.
    Hardware buttons are always just sitting there in the way.
    I was checking out some of the apps I use, and a lot, if not most of em was not able to utilize the software buttons area making it a true "full" 4.7" screen. Youtube, chrome, a few games, etc was not able to utilize that software button area. I'm sure it could be done, but so far it's not mainstream, especially when only Nexus (correct me if I'm wrong) devices uses onscreen buttons.

Hardware/capacitive buttons are not in the way. They are in a designated area that is not part of the screen. If anything, software buttons are the ones that are in the way because they are almost always on the screen. Example, you can turn off the lights completely for capactive buttons making them "invisible," whereas for the Nexus, the most I've been able to make it "invisible" is in camera mode where those buttons turn into little dots.

And I mentioned in my first post why I like software buttons on the Nexus. It moving around based on orientation of the phone is a nice touch. I wish more phones were like this, but it must not take up the usable space on the screen. If the Nexus 4 was advertised as 4.5" usable screen, then there would be no complaints from me at all. But it stating it as 4.7" is a bit misleading.

ROM
    JellyBeans

I have seen this argument on every phone that has soft keys.
    If this phone had hard keys: either your whole phone would be bigger to make room for the hard keys and keep the screen the same size, or the screen would be smaller to make room on the face for hard keys to keep the phone the same size.
    I personally love the soft keys; there when you need them and you can turn them off when you want. Not to mention i think the phone looks better when the screen is off with out all the buttons showing. (just has a sleek look to it.)
    Also to truly take advantage of the soft keys you need to root/ROM.
    AOKP allows you to switch them on and off, change the number of keys from 0 to 7, add long press to open apps/shortcuts, change the height/width and color/design.
    Sent Via..Raven from Kings Landing
    BB Storm 1 > Samsung Droid Charge > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Samsung Galaxy Note II & LG G Pad 8.3

Global Posts
    1,154 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lollipop 5.0

I don't get the complaints against the softkeys, either. So you sometimes lose a tiny portion of your screen, big deal. I had always had hard/capacitive buttons on my phones before, but don't miss them at all. It was a complete non-issue when I switched to the Nexus 4.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bakerbert View Post
    I have seen this argument on every phone that has soft keys.
    If this phone had hard keys: either your whole phone would be bigger to make room for the hard keys and keep the screen the same size, or the screen would be smaller to make room on the face for hard keys to keep the phone the same size.
    133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1 mm <--- Nexus 4
    141 x 70.5 x 9.73 mm <---- Droid DNA
    136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm <--- GS3

I'm not sure what you are referring soft keys to, but I'm guessing they are the onscreen keys, not capacitive keys. Looking at the dimensions, even the GS3 with an actual physical hardware home button, is still roughly the same size as the Nexus 4, while having a usable 4.8" screen. So adding hard keys doesn't mean the phone itself is going to be bigger.

I would rather they add a 2-5 MM more to the Nexus 4 to give it a 4.7" usable screen. I mean who is going to feel that 2-5 MM more when holding it?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    I don't get the complaints against the softkeys, either. So you sometimes lose a tiny portion of your screen, big deal. I had always had hard/capacitive buttons on my phones before, but don't miss them at all. It was a complete non-issue when I switched to the Nexus 4.
    Again, no complaints with the softkeys, I love it. But my complaint is that it Google states the Nexus 4 as 4.7" but in reality it's only 4.5" of usable screen. Every other phone that I've known off, when they state the screen size, that is how much of the screen you are able to use. If Google said the Nexus 4 was 4.5" of usable screen with .2" for the onscreen buttons, I and a few others would have not brought this up at all.

It is 4.7 screen. You use the ON SCREEN buttons that are on the screen that you are touching I.e. using. I consider the buttons you use on the screen as usable screen space. If you just want your wall paper bigger, like me Haha, then root and flash something.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast