Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Have I been throttled?

    Using nexus on straight talk att and my speeds have normally been 5-7 for download speeds, and slightly over 2 for upload speeds. For the past few days I've been noticing that my downloads on the play store are taking much longer, so I ran some speed tests yesterday and was getting between 0.03-0.3 for download speeds! today is the same thing... i have good signal and everything. one thing to note though is that the upload speeds have been like 1.5-1.8 ish, so not much of a difference for that. I have used 1.73 GB of data so far this month, so not too much. So, have I been throttled? I never received any kind of warning or anything. And if not, why the sudden, significant drop in speeds?
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
  2. #2  
    PWC Realtor's Avatar

    Posts
    486 Posts
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Have you used a bunch of data in one day or used data consistently for a period of time? ATT straight talk is famous for enforcing the no streaming /downloading along with the 100MB per day rules.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by mwilkins View Post
    Have you used a bunch of data in one day or used data consistently for a period of time? ATT straight talk is famous for enforcing the no streaming /downloading along with the 100MB per day rules.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    hmm im not sure about that. this month's cycle ends on jan 5, and ive used a total of 1.73 GB so far, but i think it was spread out, at least relatively. Do they give warnings or have they done it without any kind of notice? Wouldn't throttling apply to upload speeds as well? I'm still getting pretty good ones so far.
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    You have either been throttled or you have moved into an area where nothing higher than 2G data is supported.

    As to throttling policies, I seen to recall that AT&T and StraightTalk throttle not only based on total usage and usage type, but that the caps depend on your local market and how jammed your local network is at any given moment. In other words, if your local network is running at only 15% capacity you will be given a lot more freedom than if it is running at 92%. StraightTalk's agreements with carriers require them to throttle their customers back whenever the local network is nearing capacity so that the real "paying" customers are not impinged by the low class StraightTalk users.
    Thanked by 3:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    You have either been throttled or you have moved into an area where nothing higher than 2G data is supported.

    As to throttling policies, I seen to recall that AT&T and StraightTalk throttle not only based on total usage and usage type, but that the caps depend on your local market and how jammed your local network is at any given moment. In other words, if your local network is running at only 15% capacity you will be given a lot more freedom than if it is running at 92%. StraightTalk's agreements with carriers require them to throttle their customers back whenever the local network is nearing capacity so that the real "paying" customers are not impinged by the low class StraightTalk users.
    i am in the same area where HSPA+21 data is supported, so it looks like I have been throttled. Just did another speed test. Download - 0.29, Upload -2.31. Throttling doesn't affect upload speeds? Also, this has been lasting for a few days now, so I'm assuming it'll be like this for the rest of the month? I didnt even get any kind of warning or notice.
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    My understanding (and reading of their Terms & Conditions) is that StraightTalk does not send notifications. As to how long it will last, I would imagine that if you are being "punished" for overuse, it will last until the start of your next billing period. If your local network is running at or near maximum capacity, it will last until that has resolved itself.

    If you were being punished for violation of T&C (such as operating a streaming server), your account would simply have been cancelled.

  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    My understanding (and reading of their Terms & Conditions) is that StraightTalk does not send notifications. As to how long it will last, I would imagine that if you are being "punished" for overuse, it will last until the start of your next billing period. If your local network is running at or near maximum capacity, it will last until that has resolved itself.

    If you were being punished for violation of T&C (such as operating a streaming server), your account would simply have been cancelled.

    but what about upload speeds? why is that unscathed? also, i've heard that people got warning calls when they used "excessive" data
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    but what about upload speeds? why is that unscathed? also, i've heard that people got warning calls when they used "excessive" data
    I can't speak from experience with AT&T or StraightTalk, but with T-mo, when I was throttled a while back, it only impacted download speeds. Upload was unaffected.
    Thanked by 2:
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    hmm im not sure about that. this month's cycle ends on jan 5, and ive used a total of 1.73 GB so far, but i think it was spread out, at least relatively. Do they give warnings or have they done it without any kind of notice? Wouldn't throttling apply to upload speeds as well? I'm still getting pretty good ones so far.
    Omg... once again another case of ST throttling and less than 2gb used. This is really starting to make me nervous. With the release of the nexus 4 you would think ST would be enjoying all the new business but if they keep throttling people who really aren't ABUSING data they are going to lose a lot of customers.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    From what I can determine, StraightTalk is essentially buying "free capacity" from AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. Their agreements with these cellular operators require that their (StraightTalk's) customers not impinge on the capacity of the contracted networks nor interfere with the networks' "real" (full paying) customers. I believe this is why StraightTalk's throttling policies are so hard to pin down - it's a moment-by-moment, almost tower-by-tower, thing...
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    From what I can determine, StraightTalk is essentially buying "free capacity" from AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. Their agreements with these cellular operators require that their (StraightTalk's) customers not impinge on the capacity of the contracted networks nor interfere with the networks' "real" (full paying) customers. I believe this is why StraightTalk's throttling policies are so hard to pin down - it's a moment-by-moment, almost tower-by-tower, thing...
    so the throttling is very much likely to vary month by month?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by dmowry7300 View Post
    Omg... once again another case of ST throttling and less than 2gb used. This is really starting to make me nervous. With the release of the nexus 4 you would think ST would be enjoying all the new business but if they keep throttling people who really aren't ABUSING data they are going to lose a lot of customers.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    yea i know, especially to a new customer on his first month of service! i guess net10 could be worth looking into, but its same parent company as straight talk so idk..
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    I can't speak from experience with AT&T or StraightTalk, but with T-mo, when I was throttled a while back, it only impacted download speeds. Upload was unaffected.
    ok this makes sense now. did you receive any kind of warnings or notices?
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    so the throttling is very much likely to vary month by month?
    If you look through StraightTalk's web site, nowhere do they clearly specify what their throttling policies are. That means they can pretty much do as they please and change as often as they like. Month to month, minute to minute. Who knows?

    T-Mobile at least gives you hard numbers - 10MB, 100MB, 2GB, 5GB - depending on the plan you have signed on to...
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    If you look through StraightTalk's web site, nowhere do they clearly specify what their throttling policies are. That means they can pretty much do as they please and change as often as they like. Month to month, minute to minute. Who knows?

    T-Mobile at least gives you hard numbers - 10MB, 100MB, 2GB, 5GB - depending on the plan you have signed on to...
    Just wish t-mobile had as good of coverage as at&t does.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by dmowry7300 View Post
    Just wish t-mobile had as good of coverage as at&t does.
    If they did, then they would be able to charge as much as at&t does and so they would. There is a reason that these low/lower cost carriers charge less - they can't provide the same quality of services as the companies who charge more can because they don't have the profits to invest in their network to upgrade it as quickly/extensively.
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  
    m3lover1's Avatar

    Posts
    132 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    I was planning on trying out straight talk att to see how the speeds and coverage is compared to T-Mobile prepaid. Currently on the $30 monthly. Now though I'm not so sure if they're gonna be throttling like that...
    Sony Ericsson K790a | Palm Treo 650 | Apple iPhone | Apple iPhone 3G | Apple iPhone 3GS | HTC EVO 4G | Samsung Epic 4G | HTC EVO 3D | HTC EVO 4G LTE | Apple iPhone 5 | LG Nexus 4 | Sony Xperia Z | HTC One | LG G2 | Sony Xperia Z1 | LG Nexus 5
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    From what I can tell you basically just need to connect to Wi-Fi any chance you get and not stream music or watch YouTube videos. Kind of sucks but then again you aren't locked in or paying insane phone bills.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by dmowry7300 View Post
    Just wish t-mobile had as good of coverage as at&t does.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    exactly. if t-mobile had as good coverage as att, I probably would've gone with Solavei and get 4GB of data a month.
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeYou View Post
    If they did, then they would be able to charge as much as at&t does and so they would. There is a reason that these low/lower cost carriers charge less - they can't provide the same quality of services as the companies who charge more can because they don't have the profits to invest in their network to upgrade it as quickly/extensively.
    Yea that's probably true. Corrected statement would be: I wish t mobile had as good coverage as att in my area. And honestly att's coverage in my area isn't even all that great. Tmobiles, from what I've heard/seen is straight up terrible

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by bobjohnson201; 12-24-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by m3lover1 View Post
    I was planning on trying out straight talk att to see how the speeds and coverage is compared to T-Mobile prepaid. Currently on the $30 monthly. Now though I'm not so sure if they're gonna be throttling like that...
    If you get good tmo coverage in your area and are content with 100 minutes/month I say stick with tmo

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by bobjohnson201; 12-24-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
    MERCDROID likes this.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    If you get good tmo the coverage in your area and are content with 100 minutes/month I say stick with tmo

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    And, if you go over the initial 100, additional minutes are just $0.10 each.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    And, if you go over the initial 100, additional minutes are just $0.10 each.
    Yeah, I'm aware. What carrier are you using?

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Has the OP contacted Straight Talk to see if he was being throttled?
  24. #24  
    Lttlwing16's Avatar

    Posts
    767 Posts
    ROM
    Rooted AOSP

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    10 days in, my DL speeds dropped to .25 Mbps. After about 8 calls, ST finally told me my number had been deliberately throttled. Last conversation I had with them, it would remain throttled until I paid another 45 dollars to restart my month. With 20 days left I just gave up and set up tasker to put me on WiFi at home and work. I used WiFi for most of my data use at that point. Yesterday (17 days in) I read that toggling mobile data and 2g on/off in settings might reset things. Sure enough, after that I was back to normal download speeds I experienced in the first 10 days. Weird. I guess ST/att showed me mercy since I had only probably used 60mb in a week over mobile network.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    I am a product of my failures.

    It's not the law, just a suggestion..

    "Let's Flash Together" Bigjobber69.
    Thanked by:
  25. #25  
    _X_
    _X_ is offline
    _X_'s Avatar

    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

    Default Re: Have I been throttled?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    ok this makes sense now. did you receive any kind of warnings or notices?
    I'm on tmobile and was also throttled. I did receive a notice, but it was in the from of an android modal message then it disappeared.

    Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Harmonia 3. Will we see it or have we been cut out?
    By cammykool in forum Optimus V Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 11:10 AM
  2. Rihanna - Where Have You Been Ringtone
    By 1fastmr2 in forum Wallpapers, Ringtones, and Themes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-20-2012, 08:51 AM
  3. Have I been hacked?
    By kmr296 in forum Motorola Droid 2
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2012, 09:22 AM
  4. Mystery Battery App- can't find info- Have I been attacked?
    By cjrlauve in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 08:21 AM
  5. have there been any updates for the proximity sensor?
    By spencer0279 in forum Verizon Fascinate Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 07:58 AM

Posting Permissions

B