Can I upload movies to somewhere and watch them on my Nexus 4?

Pughypro

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Firstly I'm an Android noob, so go easy on me!

Quick question, I have a lot of movies/music ripped to my laptop that I would like to upload to a "cloud" or equivalent and then be able to access them and stream on my Nexus 4. Is this possible and if so how would I do it? I'm not rooted, still getting used to Android first.

Thanks in advance.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Allshare and sugarsync work for me

Since dropbox likes to sniff around but u can put their too if ur feelin gutsy

Just add ur account to allshare n watch away

Add account, then put files in a folder called video in the allshare directory allshare will make on ur cloud

Sent from my SGH-T889

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Allshare and sugarsync work for me

Since dropbox likes to sniff around but u can put their too if ur feelin gutsy

Just add ur account to allshare n watch away

Add account, then put files in a folder called video in the allshare directory allshare will make on ur cloud

Sent from my SGH-T889

Do they actually stream or is that just cloud storage?

Ian B

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
What sucks about dropbox is that they only let you stream 15 mins of a movie. Does anyone know why? It used to let you stream the whole movie but not in the past 2 months. I have about 20gb of voices in my Dropbox account from when I got my GS3.

Ian B

Pughypro

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so far for the suggestions. Again sorry for the ignorance, but are any of these solutions allowing me to upload content to a "cloud" and then stream on my Nexus or are they effectively server based solutions that Would mean I'd need my laptop on all the time to access content? Thanks again.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so far for the suggestions. Again sorry for the ignorance, but are any of these solutions allowing me to upload content to a "cloud" and then stream on my Nexus or are they effectively server based solutions that Would mean I'd need my laptop on all the time to access content? Thanks again.

Ignorant? Hey, that's why we're all here ^ ^
I'm pretty sure you can access on the Nexus 4 with google drive if you uploaded on your laptop. Not 100% sure, just upload a small clip maybe and try it out.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried SPIDEROAK? I like their concept of data being encrypted before it reaches their servers but I don't know if their app serves for streaming or just downloading. I've learned their app doesn't serve for uploading but, for the paranoid, that's a good thing from a mobile device.

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I have an old little desktop running Ubuntu as a home server and it also has Plex server installed. I stream all my movies to my rokus throughout the house and to my phones and tablets when I'm not home. This setup does require you to have the computer running Plex server 24/7 but I love it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The following cloud storage solutions also offer streaming stored media...

- QVIVO

- LG Cloud, by LG

- Dailymotion also has some some sort of streaming solution for user uploaded videos.

promanex

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Plex turns your local media source into a cloud server. You connect it to your plex account via a username and connect your device to the same account. When you want to play content on your device from outside your home network, plex will contact your media server at home and have it either stream out the media directly (if you have enough bandwidth) or transcode and stream it if you need a lower bitrate (for slow home upload speeds or remote download speeds) I've used this setup to stream movies and TV shows while on the go and it works nicely.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Alot of good methods listed. As far as pure streaming from cloud storage I have not been able t find a good solution for movies. Probably related to there being so many video formats and most streaming requires a unified format of some sort (think of youtube or slingbox etc). With MP3s it is much easier. I use an app called CloudAround that catalogs and streams directly from my free 50gb box account you get with having the N4.

Pughypro

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
The following cloud storage solutions also offer streaming stored media...

- QVIVO

- LG Cloud, by LG

- Dailymotion also has some some sort of streaming solution for user uploaded videos.

QVIVO looks like a really nice option, but you have to pay a monthly subscription to access the content on your mobile.

Pughypro

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Plex turns your local media source into a cloud server. You connect it to your plex account via a username and connect your device to the same account. When you want to play content on your device from outside your home network, plex will contact your media server at home and have it either stream out the media directly (if you have enough bandwidth) or transcode and stream it if you need a lower bitrate (for slow home upload speeds or remote download speeds) I've used this setup to stream movies and TV shows while on the go and it works nicely.

Going to give Plex a look now, thanks.

Pughypro

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Going to give Plex a look now, thanks.

Sorry, feel like I'm being really dumb here, but will I be able to access my content if my laptop is turned off? I can understand that if I have a server set up on a constantly running PC it wouldn't be an issue, but my laptop is not on 24/7.

Thanks.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
plex is probably the best there is, but it does require a computer running with a good processor 24/7. They have NAS solutions, but all the NAS solutions are with expensive NAS hardware that contains a high end processor.

Pughypro

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
plex is probably the best there is, but it does require a computer running with a good processor 24/7. They have NAS solutions, but all the NAS solutions are with expensive NAS hardware that contains a high end processor.

Yeh just figured that out when I switched off the laptop! :)

Maybe what I'm after doesn't exist?

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Once I got one of these bad boys, I never looked back

GoFlex Home | Seagate

Personal cloud in my house, not on some far away server. They have app for Android and iOS which work pretty well. For the price you can't go wrong.

No need to keep my computer or server running 24/7. This thing sips very little power and sleeps when not in use. If I request a file remotely while it is sleeping, it wakes up and serves it to me.

** Note - As of now I havent figured out a way to upload from my Nexus 4 to the seagate, thats one of the downsides, but I can store all my files, movies, music etc while i'm home and access from my phone anywhere. Hopefully they will fix the app soon, but again this solution works for me.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Once I got one of these bad boys, I never looked back

GoFlex Home | Seagate

Personal cloud in my house, not on some far away server. They have app for Android and iOS which work pretty well. For the price you can't go wrong.

No need to keep my computer or server running 24/7. This thing sips very little power and sleeps when not in use. If I request a file remotely while it is sleeping, it wakes up and serves it to me.

** Note - As of now I havent figured out a way to upload from my Nexus 4 to the seagate, thats one of the downsides, but I can store all my files, movies, music etc while i'm home and access from my phone anywhere. Hopefully they will fix the app soon, but again this solution works for me.

If I read correctly, you have to be in the same wifi network as the external hardrive right? I think the OP is trying to say I want to watch is somewhere else, not his home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon