Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Default Re: Is there fm radio in nexus 4?

Quote Originally Posted by stevedo View Post
    Best bet is buying a cheap radio with all the money you save purchasing a nexus 4, or use the tunein app.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    does the tunein app work as a FM radio?

TuneIn streams audio over a data connection. It is not a "radio" per se, but it will stream any of thousands of stations most of which probably broadcast on AM/FM bands as well as internet data streams.

Buy a Sony phone then? I don't see the point in those remarks. What many have said is true, analog standards need to die and be replaced with more current tech, if you keep supporting them, then you're not giving the companies responsible of upgrading a reason to improve their service for the user. Ultimately, by supporting old standards that are no longer relevant you're only hurting your experience as a user of said services.

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c_86 View Post
    FM tech is not dated nor is out of style... how many of you listen to the radio in your car. Ya FM tech. How many people go to the gym and want to listen to what's on the TV well that as well is FM tech. So don't give me that FM tech is out dated.

The chip set support FM radio. So its not like they have to add another chip for it to work. All they had to do as enable the api, program the kernel and make an app. Done. But no they decided not to and this pisses me off

Anyways. People need to realize that just because you may not use it doesn't mean there aren't tones of others out there that may or need it.
    I actually agree with this. I love my Nexus 4, and I don't listen to the radio a whole lot (in my car, I am connected by bluetooth to my phone, and I usually have a podcast playing or Pandora). But that is not to say that this couldn't be a useful feature. If I had the feature on my phone, I probably would use it from time to time. And FM radio may be an old technology, but it certainly isn't dead technology.
    ConTejas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by littleemp View Post
    Buy a Sony phone then? I don't see the point in those remarks. What many have said is true, analog standards need to die and be replaced with more current tech, if you keep supporting them, then you're not giving the companies responsible of upgrading a reason to improve their service for the user. Ultimately, by supporting old standards that are no longer relevant you're only hurting your experience as a user of said services.
    And how does that help me listen to the ballgame tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    And how does that help me listen to the ballgame tonight?

Use a myriad of other ways to stream online the content? If you're not resourceful enough to do it, then that's your problem. Just because you have a smartphone doesn't mean the user doesn't have to be smart.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by littleemp View Post
    Use a myriad of other ways to stream online the content? If you're not resourceful enough to do it, then that's your problem. Just because you have a smartphone doesn't mean the user doesn't have to be smart.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Professional sports broadcasts are blacked out from radio stations' online streams in the US. The point is that I can turn the two on and listen to a baseball or football game, but I can't listen to it via their website.

As long as that problem exists, broadcast radio will continue to exist.

Zee

Global Posts
    645 Global Posts

Professional sports broadcasts are blacked out from radio stations' online streams in the US. The point is that I can turn the two on and listen to a baseball or football game, but I can't listen to it via their website.

I don't understand why they don't include FM on phones. It's technically trivial for them to do, must be all politics. Someone doesn't want FM radio on phones since it uses no data so it's free to use, when you stream you're using data so the carriers benefit. I guess I'll blame the carriers. Lol.

Still nexus 4 is carrier independent, Google really could have included it.

A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member

Well, after reading this thread, I went and pulled my old Nexus One running CM7 and started listening to my local sports stations, which I was doing until today with Tunein Pro using my data and wifi.

And guess what? Now I wish my Nexus 4 had an FM radio too. Soooo much better than internet radio!

So why not an FM radio, Google?

It is a no brainer, IMHO.
    Last edited by Qbancelli; 01-05-2013 at 04:36 PM.

well IMO, i think it is important to have such a low tech facility in such high end device, this guy problem is considerable, besides what if we have cellular network breakdown, seriously. for me i always keep a mini AM/FM radio around just in case.

OP, even though I have no need for FM I completely understand. Back in the Zune days, I used to love listening to FM radio during my long commutes on the train.

As far as FM not being included in recent tech, I don't think it's a big business objective to faze out FM. The decision is probably all sales driven, "What hot new thing will sell our devices?" And what features can be cut based on consumer usage? Unfortunately, FM cannot compete with the advertising power of 4G, Siri, Google Now etc.

I'm sure adding FM would be cheap and wouldn't drive up costs, but I'm guessing FM is generally an oversight when companies are deciding specs.

Quote Originally Posted by mzanette View Post
    I don't understand why they don't include FM on phones. It's technically trivial for them to do, must be all politics. Someone doesn't want FM radio on phones since it uses no data so it's free to use, when you stream you're using data so the carriers benefit. I guess I'll blame the carriers. Lol.
    In 2012, the NAB lobbied Congress to mandate that smartphones include FM. I don't think that was the first time.

Yes, it's pretty straightforward to add FM to a chipset. But it's an additional expense, and the chipset vendors and handset vendors scrutinize everything. It's also an additional antenna, and space is tight: multiple antennas for 4G not just in terms of bands but also diversity, plus antennas for 3G/2.5G fallback, GPS, Wi-Fi and NFC. The battery and display take priority when it comes to space. The antennas and everything else fight for what's left.

Necessary or relatively not it's not in the Nexus 4. *Need* one in your phone? Don't get a Nexus 4.
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~
    ~~~WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5~~~
    Thanked by:

old-fashioned FM works much better on a train on the daily commute than either streaming or DAB. In my experience (and in the UK). Show-stopper for me as well, maybe Ubuntu will make it's radio work (if all the hardware is present).

I'm still frustrated that it didn't come with a built in telegraph.
    Thanked by:
    chubb and andr0idralphie like this.

... - - - ...
    mr_nobody likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thisfnguy View Post
    The back can be used as a heliograph. The best part is it works even if the battery is dead.

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

You're kidding right? I always listen to live Philly sports via TuneIn Pro. Not that I disagree with your point of having AM/FM radio.

I don't listen to FM radio because I have a lifetime subscription to Sirius. There is also Pandora and Jango online. Why not just hire the Rolling Stones to play when you want to hear, "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'".

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    I understand but technology moves on. The Nexus 4 is a bleeding edge device and fm radio is technology that is no longer is included in today's devices. That's like expecting to find a floppy disk drive in a new computer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    I wish we could still use floppies. Could use my old number muchers and oregan trail disks i have in a drawer somewhere. I could have a flashback to elementary school again.

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by c_86 View Post
    Omg. People like you guys **** me off... FM tech is not dated nor is out of style... how many of you listen to the radio in your car. Ya FM tech. How many people go to the gym and want to listen to what's on the TV well that as well is FM tech. So don't give me that FM tech is out dated.

The chip set support FM radio. So its not like they have to add another chip for it to work. All they had to do as enable the api, program the kernel and make an app. Done. But no they decided not to and this pisses me off

Anyways. People need to realize that just because you may not use it doesn't mean there aren't tones of others out there that may or need it.

Sent from my A510 using Tapatalk 2
    Well personally I don't listen to radio. I have sirius in my car, and most stores in my area have sirius or xm playing as well. I would listen to radio if they didn't play one song then 5 minuets of commercials, or have unfunny hosts talking all the time, and play the same 8 songs all day long. All but three stations in my area are top 40, gets real old real quick hearing the same songs over and over and over and over and over and over again. I would rather use that space for a bigger battery, or a thinner lighter phone.
    andr0idralphie likes this.

Personally I listen to radio for news and political analysis - which wouldn't be of much use at some future point (eg via podcast).

Re comments about antiquated tech etc - I'm hopelessly tech addict but DAB and IP streaming do not *solve* any problems in relation to listening to Radio 4 in the UK, indeed both methods make the experience only worse when in my use case on a train continually interrupted by tunnels etc (FM gets reception back quicker). Battery draw for a radio receiver is very low because it's very simple technology, unlike decoding an IP stream and all that goes with that.

DAB unfortunately has been strangled by price-skimming at least in the UK market (despite Bosch having produced a single-chip solution IIRC c.1999) and really has been side-stepped by streaming media, leaving plain old FM as the reception method still used by the vast majority of listeners.
    jdbii likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thisfnguy View Post
    ..-. .- .. .-..
    Banned

FM is old tech. Now a compass and radio, dats bleedin edge.
    I'm still frustrated that people can't take constructive criticism without getting butthurt about it.
    Kamin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Indawyn View Post
    FM is old tech. Now a compass and radio, dats bleedin edge.
    I'm still frustrated that people can't take constructive criticism without getting butthurt about it.
    Yes it is old. Radio stations are bleeding money because they are losing listeners as each month goes by. There are better alternatives such as MP3 players, phones and commercial free satellite radio. Than you have Pandora and iHeartRadio and other apps that also offer commercial free music. Who wants to listen to 3 songs and five minutes of commercials and then three more songs?

In my car, I either listen to XM satellite or my iPod. I have a 160GB iPod Classic that has 110GB of music. Radio? HUH what's that?

Radio is doing so bad that Clear Channel fired hundreds of on air personalities several months ago to try and keep alive.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast