Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree32Likes
    Banned

Default Re: Is there fm radio in nexus 4?

Bla bla bla, telephones are old too.
    So is a friggin COMPASS.
    RumoredNow and Tmo4Sho like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Indawyn View Post
    Bla bla bla, telephones are old too.
    So is a friggin COMPASS.
    Do you actually have a point you're trying to make because honestly I can't tell.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Pft, not dumbing myself down for you, sorry.

Edit:

FM radio may not be top of the shopping list when shopping for a new smartphone, but nevertheless it's a feature many want to have. Sprint is jumping into the FM radio space having today announced a preliminary agreement with the American radio industry. It will enable Sprint customers to listen to local FM radio content on a range of their new smartphones starting later this year.

All this is made possible by what Sprint refers to as NextRadio, which it also says will offer a range of interactive listener features not currently available -- although what those are remains a mystery. The announcement marks the first time a U.S. carrier will offer FM radio across a whole range of its devices. Demonstrations of NextRadio are taking place this week at CES in Las Vegas. The full press release can be found after the break.

Sprint customers to enjoy local FM radio on smartphones via FM radio chip
    Hahaha, eat my shorts, Mr Nobody.
    Last edited by Ben Indawyn; 05-02-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    Tmo4Sho likes this.

Download tune in radio. It has every radio station and it used to cost but now its free I think

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Go Ogle View Post
    Download tune in radio. It has every radio station and it used to cost but now its free I think
    yes, I downloaded it yesterday and looks to have all sorts of interesting stations but... it's as good as a wet hamburger when there's no network connection - forgive me all you nerds, but I actually go out walking, and it was 'no connection' city.
    I dont care what sort of technology delivers radio programmes as long as I can listen to BBC radio 4 , or LBC, or any of the other stations local to me, /wherever I may roam/.
    FM radio used to deliver on my antiquated ZTE Blade. Why not Nexus 4?

When I got my last phone 2 years ago, I wondered about an FM radio, but quickly loaded Tunein radio on it, and I could record broadcasts over wi-fi and listen to them off line, anytime. No brainer.

How can you compare a recorded broadcast to a live one?
    A live match(Football, cricket etc) is 100 times more interesting than a recorded one. Don't you think so?
    FM Radio technology have also evolved a lot from the time it was invented. And there is a good reason why chip makers and mobile companies have not abandoned this technology. You see, I live in India(it's a big market for telecom companies) and although we have broadband connection at out homes and at cyber cafes. They are not always unlimited or cheap. Secondly, the GPRS/3G technology provided by the carriers on the mobiles are charged dearly. Why would I like to shell huge loads of money when I can get the same/better thing for free!

Secondly, local radio channels are light years ahead from the international ones that are streamed online just because you can relate to them in a much different way. As local channels are made in accordance to your own needs. You can interact with them on the telephone, you could even ask them to play/delicate a song on your behalf. The Radio Jockey speaks on the current local issues and on subjects that are important to you as a citizen. They are not solely used for listening to songs only.

FM Radios are earning huge revenues as well. For a simple reason that you don't need any expensive device with a expensive 3G data plan to run that. Even a 'Rickshaw' and 'Auto driver' can enjoy the same with a cheap FM radio equipment.

Thirdly, we have a huge diversity with respects to altitudes from the mountainous Himalayan range to the coastal regions in Kerala. And there are deserts and plains as well as forest and jungles to cover. Electricity and connectivity also is a major issue. You cannot have mobile connectivity in all these treacherous regions!
    FM Radio is wonderful in it's applications and reach. It doesn't need telecom towers at every 1-2 Km to work.

Weather warning and safety info can easily be transmitted to the remotest of areas(including villages) without the need of mobile towers. These FM stations can basically cover 100's and even 1000's of KM at a single stretch. Whereas Mobile technology would fail in case of a power outage etc.
    Local FM radios are a great way to know the kind of people that reside in a Geographical area!

As far as the quality of reception is concerned then I must tell you that I am currently listening to a station that is more than 90Km away from where I am and the voice is crystal clear. Your hardware quality is the only limitation as far as the music quality of the FM is concerned.
    Google doesn't want to introduce Radio FM because it want people to use things from the internet itself as it is a internet company and something as cheap as a FM Radio is a big threat to there own profits through adverts etc. Online Radio is not at all an alternative to the classic Radio(It simply doesn't have the depth, reach, flexibility & price point etc as a classic radio).

10-4 Good Buddy

One of the great things about Android is there are many phones from different manufacturers with a wide variety of hardware features. Not every phone needs Qi charging. Not every phone needs 88-108MHz FM radio. Not every phone needs XM radio. Not every phone needs HDMI out. Not every phone needs to be white. People are free to choose.

This has little to do with supporting old tech, and more to do with getting information live from broadcast when no other method is available. Radio waves are by far the most survivable broadcast tech in the history of man. It supports LOCAL information in case of disaster or even missing people, etc. The chipset IN THE NEXUS 4 HAS FM BUILT INTO IT - though there is no official formware that has control over it.
    Thanked by:

Anticipate an emergency where you'll need a radio? Get a radio with solar panel and hand crank and carry it around.
    •°•WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5•°•

Quote Originally Posted by andr0idralphie View Post
    Anticipate an emergency where you'll need a radio? Get a radio with solar panel and hand crank and carry it around.
    Why are you being so critical about a wonderful technology that have no cheaper substitute. The flexibility and depth it offers have no parallel with respect to cost. Earth would end someday, sun would loose its shine one day. But, that doesn't mean you would need to make bunkers and deposit food supply there for the dooms day :-D.
    Just don't put so much pressure on your brain. It can't handle it ;-).
    Anyways, some technologies are evergreen which don't have a viable alternative such as sound waves, radio waves, sunlight etc. These exist in nature in abundance. Its better to built technology around them rather than creating costly substitutes which are not as effective. Like 3g fm radio.

Sent from my MK16i

Sooooo... smoke signals and mirrors to flash Morse Code?
    •°•WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5•°•

The things you mentioned have much cheaper and flexible options available. So those have become obsolete. Mirrors to flash morse code don't have the range and depth to become a viable alternative to beat mobile,internet, satellite communication etc. And they would prove more costly and much more limited then the alternative technologies we have;-):-D.

Sent from my MK16i

It is always a best idea to keep FM functionality in nexus 4. It doesn't take much space too. I'm looking to buy this phone. Someone please suggest why to buy nexus than galaxy s3/s4?

Quote Originally Posted by gmail friends View Post
    It is always a best idea to keep FM functionality in nexus 4. It doesn't take much space too. I'm looking to buy this phone. Someone please suggest why to buy nexus than galaxy s3/s4?
    Nexus holds there value, updates faster, no carrier bloatware (if purchased through play store or rooted). The N4 has a loud external speaker, greatly improved from the Galaxy Nexus. I am sure there are other reasons but too tired to think right now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

NEEEED FM radio? Galaxy S3—neither the S4 nor N4 have one.
    •°•WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5•°•

That's why the back of the Nexus 4 is sparkly.
    .-. --- -.-. -.- .. -. --. .. - --- .-.. -.. ... -.-. .... --- --- .-..
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    11,772 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Default Re: Is there an FM radio in the Nexus 4?

Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. If you don't care for the thread, I suggest you simply move on.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

My Zune HD has an HD Radio tuner (FM). It is certainly an improvement over the FM that I've always known... at least from a technology perspective. Unfortunately the FM stations are piped in trash, but to each his own. AM is where it is at for news, weather and emergency information.

Quote Originally Posted by mrvco View Post
    AM is where it is at for news, weather and emergency information.
    Not any more. A lot of AM news stations (e.g., WBBM) have begun simulcasting on FM over the past few years. It's a major trend as AMs look to overcome longstanding issues such as interference.

I would also like FM radio on my Nexus 4. Here in New Zealand you can forget about any digital streaming, partly because it's sparse and partly because mobile data is extremely expensive. If you want to rip people off just come and start business down here, it's a proper s@$#t hole.

@All, I would also like FM radio on my Nexus 4 or any phone. It is nice to be able to listen to local radio staion at no cost or to depend on the cloud ecosystem.

In that case why don't you remove the camera from Nexus phones as well?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123