Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jweimn
  • 1 Post By crashprone
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

Default Nexus 4 random reboots explained

I've decided to start this topic as I've seen a couple post popping up regarding this issue.

The issue itself is the device is rebooting randomly and at no specific time. The cause is with the operating system itself and not with your phone. Google has acknowledged the issue and is working on a fix but a timeframe was never given. The below article explains it in more detail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 4:
    taj7575 likes this.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 4 random reboots explained

Bumped!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Makes sense. There are a lot of stability issues with 4.2. I really hope Google gets on this ASAP.

My wife's Nexus 4 started doing this recently, it is pretty annoying. She does not have HD Widgets.

Also noticed it on my Nexus 7 without HD Widgets.
    kmcochran likes this.

My replacement device is doing the random reboots. What is more weird is that it would get stuck on the Nexus logo and then the phone would start to flash in the middle, which is very annoying. And when it does get it going again, I am getting a lot of 'Unfortunately, the app has stopped' errors along with random closing of many apps! It's a mess.

Default Nexus 4 random reboots explained

I do not believe that this is entirely accurate. I did everything they said on that site (removed all 3rd party apps, disabled location based services, restore, etc..) and I was still getting about 4-5 reboots a day for no apparent reason. I ordered a replacement. Since getting my replacement four days ago, I have not had a single reboot with all the same programs and usage.

I believe this may be a hardware issue for some people and I encourage that those who are seeing a handful of random reboots a day to call for a replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanked by 2:

This is so damn ridiculous. Have they done anything about this yet? My device reboots at least twice per day now, and I don't have HD Widgets, nor a custom ROM, Launcher, etc. All stock Nexus! I'm so glad Blackberry 10 is coming out soon. Android is a complete mess. If not for BB10, I would've went to iOS and ditched Google.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    I do not believe that this is entirely accurate. I did everything they said on that site (removed all 3rd party apps, disabled location based services, restore, etc..) and I was still getting about 4-5 reboots a day for no apparent reason. I ordered a replacement. Since getting my replacement four days ago, I have not had a single reboot with all the same programs and usage.

I believe this may be a hardware issue for some people and I encourage that those who are seeing a handful of random reboots a day to call for a replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    This was happening to my friend and he did everything he could. Reset the phone, turned off various services, etc. He has a replacement on the way. I do think it's a hardware issue. I've never seen ONE random reboot with my N4.

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts

Default RE: Nexus 4 random reboots explained

Regardless of what you do to fix it that doesn't ever really fully fix the issue espessially if it is just the google OS. Its expected with each update that's there's gonna be issues to iron out but be sure when an update is sent out the phone will work again.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by suprahul View Post
    My replacement device is doing the random reboots. What is more weird is that it would get stuck on the Nexus logo and then the phone would start to flash in the middle, which is very annoying. And when it does get it going again, I am getting a lot of 'Unfortunately, the app has stopped' errors along with random closing of many apps! It's a mess.
    Mine hasn't randomly rebooted yet (knock on wood), but I have had the screen flicker issue... after I rebooted it the nexus logo appeared in the background in gray for about 3 minutes after rebooting. Also, the messages widget is finicky when rebooting.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

This has never happened to me at all. My Nexus 4 reboots but only happens when "Beautiful Widget" get updated or installed.

at the end of the update it reboots and say that the update completed. it happens on my Nexus 4 and 10

I just had this happen for the 1st time on Saturday after using the video camera through Camera Zoom. I shot some video and then turned my screen off. I then went back to turn my screen on to take a picture and my phone wouldn't turn on. I held the power button down for a while and it finally booted up.

ROM
    LiquidSmooth

I havent yet experienced this issue with my phone unless this problem is just with a certain batch of phones. My best guess would be that people are maybe running too many apps at the same time? Overloading the RAM? I always exit apps properly and clear my recent apps so I dont know really.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RVarachia View Post
    I havent yet experienced this issue with my phone unless this problem is just with a certain batch of phones. My best guess would be that people are maybe running too many apps at the same time? Overloading the RAM? I always exit apps properly and clear my recent apps so I dont know really.
    You cant overload the ram and even if you did it woukdnt cause the phone to just reboot. It would slow and then the phone would lock up

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

No reboots on my end, it has an uptime of 45 hours so far.

Just received two nexus 4 16gb and one just started rebooting. Did the factory reset and canít get passed the welcome screen to select language. Called google support went the through the factory reset twice. This seems a hardware issue if you canít get through the initial setup. Now I am out of a phone for a week and awaiting the RMA

I've just had the same issue occur. I've had my nexus 4 for about 2 months and it's only just started happening today out of the blue.

mine doing same to handset is just two days old. and its replacement device so first one had screen brightness problem issue. will wait for the solution.

same here dude......dn knw wt to do..

My nexus 4 randomly reboots on Android 4.4.2. It started happening when I got the OTA update. So I flashed the 4.4.2 image and only have some games and apps installed. It happens randomly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk