Nexus 4 - Should I keep it?

bcracer220

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Long time lurker and I am glad I finally joined the community. I just bit the bullet and purchased a nexus 4 16gb on ebay because I just didn't want to wait till whenever for this phone to come out. I thought it had the best specs on the market and that is why I bought it, but with this new thermal throttling issue I was wondering if I should even bother opening the new package. The HTC Droid DNA has the same internals and gets almost 9000 on quadrant while the nexus 4 struggles to get 5000. Should I sell it while it is still unopened or do you guys think there might be a software fix for this in the future? What would you do if you were in my position?

Thanks,

Bcracer220

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Just use the phone. This phone absolutely flies. Disregard the benchmarks as in real world use I'm sure the phone is more than capable to handle whatever you need to do

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well if price isn't the issue (I'm guessing not since you bought on ebay) then sure why not get the Droid. Heard that it can't play games very well because of it's 1080p (or maybe that was another device) but that means it's not as smooth as the Nexus 4.

bcracer220

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Benchmarks are irrelevant bragging rights, nothing else. Nexus 4 works fine as is. If specs mean that much to you go wit the DNA.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

thank you all for your responses. i just wanted to be sure there wasn't something wrong with the hardware of the phone causing it to overheat, leading it to a shorter overall lifespan. this isnt the case is it? i think the htc dna is too big anyways and i think the nexus 4 is much sleeker.

mrplayer66

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
thank you all for your responses. i just wanted to be sure there wasn't something wrong with the hardware of the phone causing it to overheat, leading it to a shorter overall lifespan. this isnt the case is it? i think the htc dna is too big anyways and i think the nexus 4 is much sleeker.

With all due respect I don't understand how you and spend some good money on a phone only to go ahead and second guess your purchase, these are the kinds of questions you ask before you make the purchase. Don't worry about benchmarks Nexus phones are more than just a number in a benchmark test.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have been using my new Nexus 4 for three days and this is the best phone I have ever used. It screams through anything and never lags. I read that the benchmarks were low because Jellybean 4.2 wasn't optimized for it. Personally I wouldn't care if the benchmarks were at zero. The proof is in how it runs. And this thing can run.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
haha no, this is a thread where i am asking for advice, not to purchase my phone. please go elsewhere if you are looking to purchase the phone. and i think ill keep it, you guys have made some good points.

Well if you won't sell it because of good points than i change my opinion to the phone is horrible! It's the worst piece of trash ever! Now can i buy it? :D

multo

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Well if you won't sell it because of good points than i change my opinion to the phone is horrible! It's the worst piece of trash ever! Now can i buy it? :D

Classic but I agree. (whispers - if he changes his mind, I'll get it from you)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
If you haven't noticed well all want one so we will be bias, but both phones are beautiful! practically the same, its your choice bud.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Keep the Nexus. Love it, use it. You won't notice "bad benchmarks" in use. I, too, seriously considered the Droid DNA (as my wife is on Verizon already, and it would have been pretty cheap to hop on over). However, two things pushed me to the Nexus:

1. The Droid DNA has superb battery management... when the phone is idle. If you love staring at the gorgeous 1080p screen, it will eat battery pretty fast. The Nexus isn't a battery champion, but it's better when actually using it than the DNA. The Nexus also has nothing in the way of the hardware and Android. I don't mind Sense personally, but it's one more thing requiring resources.

2. Verizon is the worst carrier when it comes to software updates and mucking with phones. They love to slap bloat and branding all over their beautiful devices (see the Verizon Galaxy Note II for a classic example), then delay updates while they "test" them. They also are hard-core supporters of ISIS, a competitor to Google Wallet, so you invariably have to result to trickery to get a staple Google app to run on a Verizon Android phone. Most of all, however, was the thought of getting stuck in a two-year contract with an extortionist ETF when combined with the above. I could live with a contract without all the Verizon extras, but with them it's a deal-breaker for me.