Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Default Nexus 4 - Should I keep it?

Hey guys,

Long time lurker and I am glad I finally joined the community. I just bit the bullet and purchased a nexus 4 16gb on ebay because I just didn't want to wait till whenever for this phone to come out. I thought it had the best specs on the market and that is why I bought it, but with this new thermal throttling issue I was wondering if I should even bother opening the new package. The HTC Droid DNA has the same internals and gets almost 9000 on quadrant while the nexus 4 struggles to get 5000. Should I sell it while it is still unopened or do you guys think there might be a software fix for this in the future? What would you do if you were in my position?

Thanks,

Bcracer220

Default Re: Nexus 4 - Should I keep it?

imo keep it if you paided less than 450$ and or on planning on using it on prepaid network

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Just use the phone. This phone absolutely flies. Disregard the benchmarks as in real world use I'm sure the phone is more than capable to handle whatever you need to do

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Sony Ericsson K790a | Palm Treo 650 | Apple iPhone | Apple iPhone 3G | Apple iPhone 3GS | HTC EVO 4G | Samsung Epic 4G | HTC EVO 3D | HTC EVO 4G LTE | Apple iPhone 5 | LG Nexus 4 | Sony Xperia Z | HTC One | LG G2 | Sony Xperia Z1 | LG Nexus 5

Global Posts
    4,353 Global Posts

Software fix for what? Higher benchmarks? Seriously? SMH

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Nexus Seven and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
    Thanked by:
    XChrisX and TaylordKris like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    Software fix for what? Higher benchmarks? Seriously? SMH

arent benchmarks supposed to show how the phone will perform in the future?

Well if price isn't the issue (I'm guessing not since you bought on ebay) then sure why not get the Droid. Heard that it can't play games very well because of it's 1080p (or maybe that was another device) but that means it's not as smooth as the Nexus 4.

Global Posts
    4,353 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcracer220 View Post
    Benchmarks are irrelevant bragging rights, nothing else. Nexus 4 works fine as is. If specs mean that much to you go wit the DNA.

2013 Nexus Seven and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    Benchmarks are irrelevant bragging rights, nothing else. Nexus 4 works fine as is. If specs mean that much to you go wit the DNA.

thank you all for your responses. i just wanted to be sure there wasn't something wrong with the hardware of the phone causing it to overheat, leading it to a shorter overall lifespan. this isnt the case is it? i think the htc dna is too big anyways and i think the nexus 4 is much sleeker.

thank you all for your responses. i just wanted to be sure there wasn't something wrong with the hardware of the phone causing it to overheat, leading it to a shorter overall lifespan. this isnt the case is it? i think the htc dna is too big anyways and i think the nexus 4 is much sleeker.
    With all due respect I don't understand how you and spend some good money on a phone only to go ahead and second guess your purchase, these are the kinds of questions you ask before you make the purchase. Don't worry about benchmarks Nexus phones are more than just a number in a benchmark test.

MERCDROID and TaylordKris like this.

Global Posts
    1,096 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

I can buy it from you if you give me a good deal.
    my Nexus 5 32GB
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    I can buy it from you if you give me a good deal.
    haha no, this is a thread where i am asking for advice, not to purchase my phone. please go elsewhere if you are looking to purchase the phone. and i think ill keep it, you guys have made some good points.

Global Posts
    1,096 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Sorry I didn't mean to try to sell it away LOL
    my Nexus 5 32GB

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I have been using my new Nexus 4 for three days and this is the best phone I have ever used. It screams through anything and never lags. I read that the benchmarks were low because Jellybean 4.2 wasn't optimized for it. Personally I wouldn't care if the benchmarks were at zero. The proof is in how it runs. And this thing can run.

Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by 2:

haha no, this is a thread where i am asking for advice, not to purchase my phone. please go elsewhere if you are looking to purchase the phone. and i think ill keep it, you guys have made some good points.
    Well if you won't sell it because of good points than i change my opinion to the phone is horrible! It's the worst piece of trash ever! Now can i buy it?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Well if you won't sell it because of good points than i change my opinion to the phone is horrible! It's the worst piece of trash ever! Now can i buy it?
    hahaha

and badbrad17 thanks so much for that firsthand info!
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

hahaha

and thanks badbrad17 for the firsthand info!

Global Posts
    894 Global Posts

Classic but I agree. (whispers - if he changes his mind, I'll get it from you)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    LG Nexus 4 E960 Occam 44.2.2 JDQ39 / Nokia Lumia 920 / Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 Takju 4.2.2 JDQ39 / Asus Google Nexus 7 4.2.2 JDQ39

If you haven't noticed well all want one so we will be bias, but both phones are beautiful! practically the same, its your choice bud.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

1) Benchmarks aren't quite optimized for Android 4.2, as evidenced by how well the Optimus G performs.

2) Benchmarks are silly.

Global Posts
    929 Global Posts
    ROM
    KK 4.4.3

Keep the Nexus. Love it, use it. You won't notice "bad benchmarks" in use. I, too, seriously considered the Droid DNA (as my wife is on Verizon already, and it would have been pretty cheap to hop on over). However, two things pushed me to the Nexus:

1. The Droid DNA has superb battery management... when the phone is idle. If you love staring at the gorgeous 1080p screen, it will eat battery pretty fast. The Nexus isn't a battery champion, but it's better when actually using it than the DNA. The Nexus also has nothing in the way of the hardware and Android. I don't mind Sense personally, but it's one more thing requiring resources.

2. Verizon is the worst carrier when it comes to software updates and mucking with phones. They love to slap bloat and branding all over their beautiful devices (see the Verizon Galaxy Note II for a classic example), then delay updates while they "test" them. They also are hard-core supporters of ISIS, a competitor to Google Wallet, so you invariably have to result to trickery to get a staple Google app to run on a Verizon Android phone. Most of all, however, was the thought of getting stuck in a two-year contract with an extortionist ETF when combined with the above. I could live with a contract without all the Verizon extras, but with them it's a deal-breaker for me.
    Thanked by:
    Diordna11 likes this.

The thing I can't believe is the op didn't open the box immedietly, but waited to post and ask opinions.
    Maybe its just me, but I opened it in 2 seconds.

Oh and Merry Christmas everyone!
    Thanked by:
    MERCDROID and bcracer220 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    The thing I can't believe is the op didn't open the box immedietly, but waited to post and ask opinions.
    Maybe its just me, but I opened it in 2 seconds.
    It's not just you, my un-boxing was in the front seat of my car in the car park of TNT on a cold wet morning 1 minute after signing for it in the collection office.

I was only 10 minutes from home. :o

Sent from my frighteningly-quick Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    If you haven't noticed well all want one so we will be bias, but both phones are beautiful! practically the same, its your choice bud.
    Well the only reason i'm getting it is because it's cheap. I know that the Droid DNA and the S3 are comparably as good but the price of it is amazing for a recent phone!

Software updates will show how the phone will perform in the future. Which phone do you think will continue to receive immediate software updates in the present, and the future. Certainly not the DNA.
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!
    Thanked by:

Keep in mind, the S3 is a beast of a phone. If you decide to go that route, you can get one extremely cheap with all the holiday deals going on. The N4 is a great phone but the S3 has beem out for longer and has had more time to be integrated into its software. I own one and can vouch for what an amazing device it is. On my most recent battery charge, it lasted me over 16hrs with over 5hrs of screen on time. This was with LTE on the entire time.

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast