Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 110
Like Tree79Likes
  1. #51  

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by KwietStorm View Post
    I'm not talking about the Note. I'm talking in general. It wasn't that long ago that 4.3 inch screens were considered huge. Now we're at 5 and larger with some, and I don't think we need to be advancing in that direction. My screen is 4.7 inches, and the phone itself isn't big. It feels good. Manufacturers should be focusing on battery technology and enlarging screens without enlarging the bezel along with it.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Samsung is focusing on the battery. The Note 2 has 3100mah removable battery that will last a very long time.
  2. #52  

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by SAENZ_SCENE View Post
    All androids are great.

    Sent from my Nexus 7
    Careful there the Samsung Dart and a while legion of Pantech "smart phones" disagree.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    MERCDROID likes this.
  3. #53  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by KwietStorm View Post
    You're either severely downplaying the obvious advancements that Android has made, or you're just that guy who can't bother to be impressed by a cat operating heavy construction vehicles.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Ha ha. Nice one.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  4. #54  

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by corance View Post
    You'll see. History repeats itself. Trends come and go. Look at clothing trends. It may not be soon but it will happen. These flat screens people carry in their pockets will be seen as crazy. Don't worry though, you're cool for a few more years at least. Only in America are huge phone cool. The rest of the world still like the 4inchers. Read some statistics on what size people like most.
    This explains why we've gone back to CRT TV's and dial up internet.

    Technology is not a fad like bell bottom jeans. Style is a trend, technological improvements are not.

    These huge super phones flourish outside the U.S., you may want to check the sales figures there.
    Last edited by clayjohn; 12-26-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    badbrad17 likes this.
  5. #55  

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    This explains why we've gone back to CRT TV's and dial up internet.

    Technology is not a fad like bell bottom jeans. Style is a trend, technological improvements are not.

    These huge super phones flourish outside the U.S., you may want to check the sales figures there.
    Except those examples don't make sense. I'm not saying it will go back to older technology.... Smaller screen doesn't mean old technology. You can have all the newest technology in a 4.7 in phone. It doesn't have to be 6 in screen. Bigger screen doesn't equal better technology bro. Going back to dial up is a step back in PERFORMANCE. Smaller screen isn't.

    As for big screens being the thing please please please give me at least 3 sources that say that. While you find those, go to the mall food court and look at screen sizes...
  6. #56  

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by taj7575 View Post
    Touchwiz may have been a bad UI...But the one on the Note II isn't bad at all. Some could even argue that it's functionality is better than the pure android OS. It really all comes down to preference. I love my Nexus 4 and vanilla android, but I miss some awesome Touchwiz features.

    Would it really be fun if every phone, from every manufacturer, in every phone size only consisted of a pure vanilla OS? That would be boring. You might as well get an iPhone.
    If every phone was a Nexus phone that would be great, yes. People would still be free to make the OS as ugly as they like, they would have the choice to do that, but people who don't want to root and ROM would be able to actually buy a phone that performs well out of the box without crap bogging it down and we'd all get updates in a much more timely fashion.

    Either way, the non-Nexus Android world doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. I don't even look at anything that isn't a Nexus device.
    Thanked by:
    KitN 
  7. #57  

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Sales figures are easy to come by just look at last week's Forbes or Wallstreet Journal; nexus4, Note2 and gs3 take the top three android spots followed by the Maxx hd, dna and HTC.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    KitN 
  8. #58  

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by corance View Post
    Except those examples don't make sense. I'm not saying it will go back to older technology.... Smaller screen doesn't mean old technology. You can have all the newest technology in a 4.7 in phone. It doesn't have to be 6 in screen. Bigger screen doesn't equal better technology bro. Going back to dial up is a step back in PERFORMANCE. Smaller screen isn't.

    As for big screens being the thing please please please give me at least 3 sources that say that. While you find those, go to the mall food court and look at screen sizes...
    No, guy, what didn't make sense was comparing technological advancements, i.e. large, HD resolution displays, to fashion trends. Which you did. Bravo.

    And yes, smaller displays would be a step backwards as there have never been any that are remotely comparable to the large displays (Nexus 4, HOX, Note II, etc) as far as quality and resolution. Creating large, high quality displays is an improvement upon smaller displays that simply cannot compete with the current offerings.

    "As for big screens being the thing please please please give me at least 3 sources that say that." I'm not sure what you're asking here, and obviously the English language and logic are not your strong suits. If you that was your retort to my saying large screen phones sell well on a global level, then you need to wake up. 5+ million Note II's sold is impressive, and that's one of a dozen current high-end phones. Sales figures are widely available, take the initiative to research a topic before discussing it.

    In short, large screen phones sell extremely well, and large screen displays are not only an improvement on past technology, but a thing of the future.

    I forgot to throw "bro" in there, but as I'm not as incompetent as the Jersey Shore cast, or in middle school, I think I'll live.
  9. #59  

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Can't we all just get along? :-)

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
  10. #60  

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    No, guy, what didn't make sense was comparing technological advancements, i.e. large, HD resolution displays, to fashion trends. Which you did. Bravo.

    And yes, smaller displays would be a step backwards as there have never been any that are remotely comparable to the large displays (Nexus 4, HOX, Note II, etc) as far as quality and resolution. Creating large, high quality displays is an improvement upon smaller displays that simply cannot compete with the current offerings.

    "As for big screens being the thing please please please give me at least 3 sources that say that." I'm not sure what you're asking here, and obviously the English language and logic are not your strong suits. If you that was your retort to my saying large screen phones sell well on a global level, then you need to wake up. 5+ million Note II's sold is impressive, and that's one of a dozen current high-end phones. Sales figures are widely available, take the initiative to research a topic before discussing it.

    In short, large screen phones sell extremely well, and large screen displays are not only an improvement on past technology, but a thing of the future.

    I forgot to throw "bro" in there, but as I'm not as incompetent as the Jersey Shore cast, or in middle school, I think I'll live.
    Wow, you used big words sir. Now allow me to speak in proper English since my last dialect, while understandable, didn't suffice. I never said the nexus 4 isn't a large screen. I was saying the nexus 4 is about the right size for most. What I was referring to as big screens was the note size screens. If you consider the nexus 4 " big" screen, then yes, that is the trend. I retract my previous statement. You are right. Yours truly bro

    BTW 5 million is impressive, yes, but out of how many phones? Billions? Not so impressive now, is it? And so this will stop; you are right big screens are the way to go. By big I mean 4.5in and up.
  11. #61  

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by corance View Post
    BTW 5 million is impressive, yes, but out of how many phones? Billions? Not so impressive now, is it? And so this will stop; you are right big screens are the way to go. By big I mean 4.5in and up.
    You can't compare the N2 with all cell phone sales, you compare it to other high-end phones. The iPhone sells "poorly" if you want to compare it against every other cellular device sold on Earth. So, 5 million for a device with a screen that big shows there is demand for devices of that nature in the high-end market. I admit, though, the N2's sales pale in comparison to that of the iPhone or Galaxy S3. Regardless, it's quite a respectable number.

    I agree with your last, I would classify 4.5" and up as "big."
  12. #62  
    _X_
    _X_ is offline
    _X_'s Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    The Note 2 is an impressive device, but it isn't for everyone. Sure, it offers a great deal of functionality, but its portability is hindered by its size.
    You got to be kidding how is the Note II any less of than a 4" phone. For me this phone is as portable as my Galaxy S

    Quote Originally Posted by taj7575 View Post
    I agree. Although the Note II is wonderful, it is way too big for me to use as a daily phone. That's why I'm happy with the Nexus 4. But I think the best combination is the Nexus 4 for normal phone usage, and then the Nexus 7 for everything else. And the best part? Both of those together is cheaper than the Note II unlocked.
    That is something I considered before I bought my phone. I use to carry my 4"phone and 7"table for a few years, but the truth is carrying one device is far more convenient than two. All carry now is one of.



    Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
  13. #63  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    815 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Actually worldwide its estimated 1 billion active smart phones not "billions"

    Even so 5 million units is massive for an individual device especially considering its status as a niche phone.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    TheLibertarian likes this.
  14. #64  

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    You can't compare the N2 with all cell phone sales, you compare it to other high-end phones. The iPhone sells "poorly" if you want to compare it against every other cellular device sold on Earth. So, 5 million for a device with a screen that big shows there is demand for devices of that nature in the high-end market. I admit, though, the N2's sales pale in comparison to that of the iPhone or Galaxy S3. Regardless, it's quite a respectable number.

    I agree with your last, I would classify 4.5" and up as "big."
    Ughhh, I'm not comparing phones per se. I'm compaiing phone sizes. Let me try again. Of all the phones that are being carried around, we are talking size here, MOST are not TV size. Most are 4.5ish. I don't have exact numbers, sorry. You got me, I don't have hard evidence. I have seen numbers that say most people like 4 to 4.5ish, so that's all I know. I was at the mall today and I was looking at EVERY phone I saw. Most of those were smaller phones. And by smaller I mean not N1 or N2. What are we arguing about again? Hahaha, I forgot. Oh yeah! Real world experience...just go to a crowded area and look around. Sadly, most are iPhones, after that it's other 4.8is and down. No matter what brand, make, or model. Once again we are talking size here. On another note the Apple store was packed!!!
  15. #65  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    815 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Wait a year or two and the numbers will change think about how long anything larger than 4.5 in has been out not terribly long original note was really a first. I think the trends will change with a little more time.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
  16. #66  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by jimrebello View Post
    Can't we all just get along? :-)

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
    Ha ha. I was going to say the exact same thing.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  17. #67  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by corance View Post
    Ughhh, I'm not comparing phones per se. I'm compaiing phone sizes. Let me try again. Of all the phones that are being carried around, we are talking size here, MOST are not TV size. Most are 4.5ish. I don't have exact numbers, sorry. You got me, I don't have hard evidence. I have seen numbers that say most people like 4 to 4.5ish, so that's all I know. I was at the mall today and I was looking at EVERY phone I saw. Most of those were smaller phones. And by smaller I mean not N1 or N2. What are we arguing about again? Hahaha, I forgot. Oh yeah! Real world experience...just go to a crowded area and look around. Sadly, most are iPhones, after that it's other 4.8is and down. No matter what brand, make, or model. Once again we are talking size here. On another note the Apple store was packed!!!
    The Google Play store is packed too

    I was in town the other day and it was the first time that I saw more Android phones than iphones. It was really weird. And although I don't disagree that most people don't want a phone much bigger than 5inches right now, I do think that as the Note 2 continues to gain popularity we will see more of them out in the wild. I am very surprised by how many people are talking about the Note2. It is really gaining traction for a lot of people that only want one device that lets them do all of the features of a tablet and phone. It's too big for some but in a year I don't think it will look as big.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    TheLibertarian likes this.
  18. #68  

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    The Google Play store is packed too

    I was in town the other day and it was the first time that I saw more Android phones than iphones. It was really weird. And although I don't disagree that most people don't want a phone much bigger than 5inches right now, I do think that as the Note 2 continues to gain popularity we will see more of them out in the wild. I am very surprised by how many people are talking about the Note2. It is really gaining traction for a lot of people that only want one device that lets them do all of the features of a tablet and phone. It's too big for some but in a year I don't think it will look as big.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Same experience here when my wife and I were last minute xmas shopping. Very easy to identify android phones as most have the center camera and there were lots of those! Lots of S3's, I think he's right, come summer time the market will have shifted even more and android will become even more common, sales figures already prove this.
    Thanked by:
  19. #69  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    805 Posts
    Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    No, guy, what didn't make sense was comparing technological advancements, i.e. large, HD resolution displays, to fashion trends. Which you did. Bravo.

    And yes, smaller displays would be a step backwards as there have never been any that are remotely comparable to the large displays (Nexus 4, HOX, Note II, etc) as far as quality and resolution. Creating large, high quality displays is an improvement upon smaller displays that simply cannot compete with the current offerings.

    "As for big screens being the thing please please please give me at least 3 sources that say that." I'm not sure what you're asking here, and obviously the English language and logic are not your strong suits. If you that was your retort to my saying large screen phones sell well on a global level, then you need to wake up. 5+ million Note II's sold is impressive, and that's one of a dozen current high-end phones. Sales figures are widely available
    A couple of things. First, make a point and stop insulting a member personally. Second, the size is not an advancement in and of itself, the quality of the display is. The exact same technologically advanced quality display can be large or small. The iPad (not the mini) and the iPhone have the same quality display, but not the same size. The size is simply a form factor, and in that it IS style.

    I guarantee you that the GS III will have a total sale number higher than the Note II. Does that mean the former has better technology than the latter? No. Sales figures don't necessarily correspond to technological superiority.

    Everyone is allowed their choice. Just because someone doesn't make yours or think like you does not make them dumb.


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  20. #70  
    NotJustAPhone's Avatar

    Posts
    11,468 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,772 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    I've been thinking about picking up a Note 2. Went to a Verizon store and played around with it for a while. I haven't decided yet, but I could see using it as my everyday device.

    Sent from my Nexus 4
  21. #71  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    805 Posts
    Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
    You got to be kidding how is the Note II any less of than a 4" phone. For me this phone is as portable as my Galaxy S
    If for you it's just as portable, great. Use it. But that a larger size makes the note less portable is a statement of fact. It in fact isn't as easy to fit in my jeans' front pocket, which is where I usually carry my phone. I also have smaller hands, so carrying a large phone like the Note II in my grip would be more difficult and tiring.

    None of this may affect you enough that you wouldn't consider using it. But that doesn't mean I have to be kidding.


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  22. #72  

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    A couple of things. First, make a point and stop insulting a member personally. Second, the size is not an advancement in and of itself, the quality of the display is. The exact same technologically advanced quality display can be large or small. The iPad (not the mini) and the iPhone have the same quality display, but not the same size. The size is simply a form factor, and in that it IS style.

    I guarantee you that the GS III will have a total sale number higher than the Note II. Does that mean the former has better technology than the latter? No. Sales figures don't necessarily correspond to technological superiority.

    Everyone is allowed their choice. Just because someone doesn't make yours or think like you does not make them dumb.


    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    First off, when referring to smaller displays, I'm referring to those ever smaller than the iPhone, you know, small displays that simply cannot compete with large displays in terms of technology, and haven't.

    Secondly, of course the GS3 will sell better, as it already is. Oddly enough I pointed that out myself, you just failed to read the entire discussion.

    Thirdly, everyone does deserve to make their own choices based on their preferences. Variety is a huge reason we all love Android. Interestingly enough the discussion I had with corance had absolutely nothing to do with choice. Him and I even have the same device. Furthermore, if you had read the entire discussion before posting, you would notice I round every display from 4.5" and up as large, which corance also agreed with. I'm not quite sure why ou're comparing the displays of the GS3 with the Note II as they're both large screen, high-end devices.

    The entire discussion that you're commenting on was solely about whether or not large screen displays were a trend or not. Corance argues large display devices are an trend, while I argue large displays are an advancement of technology. It's likely a little of both, but if you'd like to contribute on the matter go right ahead.
  23. #73  
    nrm5110's Avatar

    Posts
    815 Posts
    Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Consider what these smart phones are built for also. The big thing is media consumption and that media becomes easier and nicer to digest on a larger screen "generalized statement". Most people buying a smartphone aren't just buying one to make phone calls, but to do more like browsing, games, music, and movies. I think the larger screen is more a natural evolution of things given the increasing demand we place on our devices as media replacements when we aren't in our homes. I don't feel its a trend nor do I feel that larger screens themselves are an advancement in technology, although packing a 1080p screen on such small devices is pretty incredible. I think you guys are looking at this argument in the wrong light, look more at the general public and what they do day by day.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    TheLibertarian likes this.
  24. #74  

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    If every phone was a Nexus phone that would be great, yes. People would still be free to make the OS as ugly as they like, they would have the choice to do that, but people who don't want to root and ROM would be able to actually buy a phone that performs well out of the box without crap bogging it down and we'd all get updates in a much more timely fashion.

    Either way, the non-Nexus Android world doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. I don't even look at anything that isn't a Nexus device.
    But where would the innovation be? As nice as roms are, people don't have the money to invest in R&D and come up with more innovative ideas. The Nexus as it is now has come by taking elements from other manufacturers tries at the Android OS. The Android OS was made to be customized and messed around with, and that goes for the manufacturers as well. And if you don't like it, you can get a Nexus 4 or root a device.

    Sometimes, I think some of us Android fans sound like Apple fanboys, and don't even realize it...
    Thanked by:
  25. #75  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Saying goodbye

    Quote Originally Posted by taj7575 View Post
    But where would the innovation be? As nice as roms are, people don't have the money to invest in R&D and come up with more innovative ideas. The Nexus as it is now has come by taking elements from other manufacturers tries at the Android OS. The Android OS was made to be customized and messed around with, and that goes for the manufacturers as well. And if you don't like it, you can get a Nexus 4 or root a device.

    Sometimes, I think some of us Android fans sound like Apple fanboys, and don't even realize it...
    Of course we are fans. Nothing wrong with that.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How do I say goodbye to what we had....
    By wyseguy77 in forum Verizon Fascinate
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2012, 08:30 AM
  2. May have to say goodbye to sprint. GRRR!!!
    By Jerry-O in forum Sprint
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 12:02 PM
  3. so hard to say goodbye bionic!
    By gmen78 in forum Droid Bionic
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 10:34 AM
  4. With a heavy heart, I say goodbye "D1"
    By GenericMessage in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 09-21-2010, 07:36 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2010, 10:58 PM

Posting Permissions

B