View Poll Results: Is the Nexus 4 worth it?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, hands down, best phone ever!

    76 80.00%
  • Meh, it's okay, but not a huge upgrade over the One X+ or the Galaxy S3.

    14 14.74%
  • No, HTC and/or Samsung make better top end choices than the Nexus 4.

    5 5.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is the N4 worth it?

    I keep reading all these complaints about the Nexus 4- battery life, build quality, etc- and I'm wondering what I should do? I'm leaving VZW on Feb 10th, and I'm between the N4, the HOX+, and the GSIII. I love the idea of a Nexus device- prompt updates, no carrier bloatware, etc, but I need a decent battery life and good build quality. So, if you left one of these for the N4, I'd love to know if you're happy with your decision, and what your tradeoffs were.
  2. #2  
    codeda's Avatar

    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    Stand by battery life is excellent. Regular batter life isn't as good as my gs3 was but not bad. If you get it, buy a case, but I would suggest that for the gs3 as well. In fact I thought that phone was more slippery naked than this one due to it being so thin. I have a thin tpu case and have dropped both phones and no shatters or dents or breaks here. I go back and forth on which I like better but I think if you choose either you will be very happy. I'm not a huge fan of the one x so no help from me on that front. Good luck with your choice!!

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    For $400 I reckon it is worth the price! I can't wait to be able to order this. Yes i have looked at the faults but who cares they are minor, its just petty little things that people like to complain about because when money is involved so is emotions.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
    promanex likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    It isn't a huge upgrade but it's the best phone hands down. Why? Because the no-contract phone is 300. Yes, there is a lot of things that they could fix and improve on the next Nexus device but it's the best out there atm for the price it has.
    Thanked by 2:
    spNiku likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    You have to keep in mind that people on these forums are in the massive minority, and that people usually only post to complain or seek help.

    When any new device is released you might think it's terrible if you were to read forums.

    The Nexus 4 is significantly the best bang for your buck hands down. Nothing rivals it when you compare the product you're receiving for the amount you're paying.
    Thanked by:
    KitN 
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    Go read some of the first pages about the gs3, hox+, or any other phone for that matter. The threads start off with everyone excited about the release, then people get them, then they complain! That's the way ever phone is. People only post with complaints. No phone is perfect. This is the best phone I've held or used. If you are coming from a gs3 to this it might not seem like such a big deal cause they are both great phones. But if you read someone's post that is coming from a motorola triumph like me for exampl, then it's simply amazing! It's all relative. Ever phone has it's problems. If you read the post now not nearly as many people are complaining. That only happens when something new comes out. Any of those phones are great and they all have their own problems. This phone is absolutely freaking amazing though!
    Thanked by:
    KitN 
    yfan and MERCDROID like this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    People love top complain and will always find reason to. I LOVE this phone. It's hands down the best value purchase I have ever made. I spend all day messing about with mine and the battery life is fine, it gets charged when I'm in bed and that's all it needs. Build quality is great mine fell on a radiator and only got a tiny dent (see my thread about it being slippy)

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    The last three comments on this thread is all about the person saying that people complain a lot about phones. lol
    MERCDROID and promanex like this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    This phone is absolutely amazing I've had every nexus out this is by far the best build quality on that front (even tho nexus one was good build) this phone seems to fly I have yet to see it stutter and for the price and the fact that you'll get updates I think its the best choice the s3 is a great phone but how long will it receive updates for
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    Quick word of advice- the U.S version of the S3... dual-core with 2GB of RAM.. is a friggin beast. I own one and can tell you I'm still on ICS and my phone handles absolutely everything I throw at it with no lag whatsoever. I'm not trying to steal thunder away from the N4, I'm only mentioning it because of the amazing deals to be found for the S3 right now. It's a solid phone and I'm extremely happy with my purchase. If LTE and removable battery and storage are important to you, seriously consider the S3

    Sent from my MetroPCS GS3
    RyDawgBoston and codeda like this.
  11. #11  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    798 Posts
    Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    Is it worth it? Oh yes. Absolutely. This phone has top of the line hardware, it's absolutely stunning, visually speaking, and you can't beat the price. Because it is a phone made to be beautiful rather than rugged, you will need to handle it with care. But I haven't had to do anything other than be careful not to drop or slam it on hard surfaces.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    KitN 
    MERCDROID likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    If I were you I would get the phone, and try it on one of the prepaid carries before you leave Verizon.

    I tried the phone briefly, and I did not like it. I paid $300 more for the international version Note 2, and it worked right out of the box and had no issues. I can't say the same for the N4 with reboot issues, wifi connect issues, battery getting warm issues, terrible camera pictures and it has weak speaker.

    The Note 2 is a big bad *** phone with a lot of nice features, and nice big battery.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by hossman12 View Post
    Quick word of advice- the U.S version of the S3... dual-core with 2GB of RAM.. is a friggin beast. I own one and can tell you I'm still on ICS and my phone handles absolutely everything I throw at it with no lag whatsoever. I'm not trying to steal thunder away from the N4, I'm only mentioning it because of the amazing deals to be found for the S3 right now. It's a solid phone and I'm extremely happy with my purchase. If LTE and removable battery and storage are important to you, seriously consider the S3

    Sent from my MetroPCS GS3
    Heard there was one but it's more expensive and rare because most people use the 1 GB.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    The only reason I would get a note 2, it would be for the great battery, other than that, its too big for me and same hardware pretty much for the double price.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Heard there was one but it's more expensive and rare because most people use the 1 GB.
    Mine is the 2GB version. Im pretty sure most people in the states have that same version.. either way it shouldnt be hard to find. I use MetroPCS and get relatively awesome speeds for paying $60/month and getting unlimited data. Let me assure you my phone is buttery smooth and my service, you think itd be crap cuz it's metro... its the opposite. I get consistent 5-8Mpbs down lately. It may not be VZW, but I also never get dropped calls, and customer service is amazing. Speeds and 4G service may not be the same in your area, but for South FL, I couldn't be happier.

    Sent from my MetroPCS GS3
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    I came from a Galaxy S3 and don't regret leaving it behind one bit. Selling the S3 should easily cover the cost of this phone.

    If you need a lot of storage space you'd be better off considering the S3 for obvious reasons but beyond that I can't really see any advantage to it.

    The biggest disadvantage of the S3 is the unpredictable update cycle. Maybe you will get the next version of android, maybe you won't. The only reason Google stop updating Nexus devices is if the software outgrow the capacity of the hardware. Nexus One because it didn't have enough internal storage and now the Nexus S because it was a struggle to get Jellybean working with only 512mb ram. The Nexus 4 has beast specs so should be ok for a good while yet.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  17. #17  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    Merry Christmas everyone. I hope your stocking was filled with phones.

    I have had my Nexus 4 for 5 days and can't say enough good things about this phone. I came from a Samsung GS2 so the upgrade was substantial but I didn't find my old phone to be seriously lacking. This would be something to take into consideration.

    The screen is gorgeous, it is super fast, it is built well and most importantly the battery is excellent. I believe that there were some problems with some of the original phones that came out in the first batch with battery problems, but I can say that this battery is waaaay better than any other phone I've had. I have not been able to run it down in a day. I'm getting consistent 16+ hours off the charger with 4-5 hours of on screen time. Anyone who has a N4 that isn't getting this should send it back for a replacement.

    Getting updated regularly is a no brainer. It's like getting a new phone every few months.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    SteveMW and MERCDROID like this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    Getting updated regularly is a no brainer. It's like getting a new phone every few months.
    Hell yeah

    Sent from my fabulous Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
    badbrad17 and MERCDROID like this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    After three weeks, I've summed it up to this:

    Amazing hardware. Seriously amazing. This could arguably be the best looking Android phone made. Not only that, but it feels so good in your hands. That alone could be a reason to buy this, as it seems many Android devices have sub-par hardware. I will say though...This phone has some serious GPS issues, but that could just be because my phone was from the first batch.

    Battery = Awful. Just terrible. Again, this may be an issue with my phone, but the other day, I was at 20% charge, and after a few pictures, it died. It amazed me. Even my old GSII didn't do that. It's charging is also very inconsistent. After it died, I put it in the charger, turned it on, and in 5 minutes it said it was around 35% charge. Seriously, I don't know if this is a serious software/hardware issue, or if something's wrong with my phone, but it's annoying.

    Software - Buggy. Yes, Google. Android 4.2 is really buggy. Why is it taking so long to come out with timely updates? 4.2 has great upgrades over 4.1, but why are the bugs so persistent?

    Overall - Amazing phone, but Google, you have to fix the battery and bugs. This is an amazing phone ruined by small issues. This phone amazes me one second, and annoys me the next. If it becomes more consistent, this is easily the best phone in the market.
  20. #20  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    798 Posts
    Global Posts
    801 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    I keep hearing a lot of people with battery issues, but mine is quite good, and has been since after a couple of days since receiving it. I am pretty heavy on the screen. I have auto brightness on, and I do my news reading, video watching, all of it. The phone lasts through a normal day just fine.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by taj7575 View Post
    After three weeks, I've summed it up to this:

    Amazing hardware. Seriously amazing. This could arguably be the best looking Android phone made. Not only that, but it feels so good in your hands. That alone could be a reason to buy this, as it seems many Android devices have sub-par hardware. I will say though...This phone has some serious GPS issues, but that could just be because my phone was from the first batch.

    Battery = Awful. Just terrible. Again, this may be an issue with my phone, but the other day, I was at 20% charge, and after a few pictures, it died. It amazed me. Even my old GSII didn't do that. It's charging is also very inconsistent. After it died, I put it in the charger, turned it on, and in 5 minutes it said it was around 35% charge. Seriously, I don't know if this is a serious software/hardware issue, or if something's wrong with my phone, but it's annoying.

    Software - Buggy. Yes, Google. Android 4.2 is really buggy. Why is it taking so long to come out with timely updates? 4.2 has great upgrades over 4.1, but why are the bugs so persistent?

    Overall - Amazing phone, but Google, you have to fix the battery and bugs. This is an amazing phone ruined by small issues. This phone amazes me one second, and annoys me the next. If it becomes more consistent, this is easily the best phone in the market.
    But would you be willing to pay double for less bugs and just a little bit of more battery life?
    No? Okay then I guess Nexus 4 is the best phone for its price.
  22. #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    But would you be willing to pay double for less bugs and just a little bit of more battery life?
    No? Okay then I guess Nexus 4 is the best phone for its price.
    If he wanted to buy a 16G N4 for $350 new right now where would he get it from? You can't find the phone brand new for $350. He might be able to get a used 8G on ebay for, $350, but that's about it. The phone is on back order again, and you have to sit by your computer when it goes back on sale and hope you get lucky to get one.

    I paid $640 for my international GN2, and it was worth every penny.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    I get good battery life. Not quite as good as my sgs3 but it's still acceptable. In addition I've started carrying a small 1800mah external power pack with me. It's not too bulky - slightly larger than a pack of matches - and effectively almost doubles my battery life.

    The galaxy note 2 is a fine phone but it's just so huge. It's like carrying around the death star.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    AuntieJimbo likes this.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    But would you be willing to pay double for less bugs and just a little bit of more battery life?
    No? Okay then I guess Nexus 4 is the best phone for its price.
    Absolutely I would. It wasn't my decision that it was set at $350 to potentially cut some corners. I was expecting a top of the line pure Google phone.

    I don't think corners were fully cut though. There are just a few mistakes that can potentially be fixed.
  25. #25  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Is the N4 worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by taj7575 View Post
    Absolutely I would. It wasn't my decision that it was set at $350 to potentially cut some corners. I was expecting a top of the line pure Google phone.

    I don't think corners were fully cut though. There are just a few mistakes that can potentially be fixed.
    All phones have some issues. This phone will only get better.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is the Transformer worth it without the keyboard?
    By ls377 in forum ASUS EeePad Transformer
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-20-2011, 02:42 PM
  2. Is the atrix worth it?
    By Satkins in forum AT&T ATRIX
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-09-2011, 01:52 PM
  3. Is the tb worth it?
    By Aspdmouse in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 11:19 AM
  4. is the evo worth it?
    By mattchew86 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 01:23 PM
  5. Is the Hero worth it NOW? (with 2.1)
    By ballroom dru in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-16-2010, 08:35 PM

Posting Permissions

B