Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android os?

Why in the world is android os using 20 something percent of my battery all of the sudden?!? It's top on the list!

ROM
    Rooted AOSP

Default Re: Android os?

Its a bug. Google is said to be releasing a fix soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    I am a product of my failures.

It's not the law, just a suggestion..

"Let's Flash Together" Bigjobber69.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

It's not a "bug".. The percentages in battery usage have never been entirely accurate or meaningful in any version of Android. Don't pay them any mind unless you feel you are experiencing some unusual battery drain.. And even then there are better ways to diagnose the issue than that screen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    gone down south likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I'll post screen shots later but it's down to 73% with 3 hrs and 30 min on and only 50 min screen on time. Mostly Wi-Fi. I'll get screen shots tonight so maybe you can help me.

try a reboot and see if that helps. maybe some process got a deadlock and is draining the battery.
    reboot might fix it.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Now I'm at 33% with 7 hrs on and not even 2 hrs screen time. I'll post pics when it's about dead so maybe someone can help.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

If you need any other info let me know. I'm running Franco kernel BTW. This isn't good at all. Others are getting 16+hrs with a few hrs screen. What's going on here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Android os?-screenshot_2012-12-25-16-50-34.png   Android os?-screenshot_2012-12-25-16-50-20.png   Android os?-screenshot_2012-12-25-16-50-09.png   Android os?-screenshot_2012-12-25-16-50-27.png  

ROM
    Rooted AOSP

Quote Originally Posted by corance View Post
    If you need any other info let me know. I'm running Franco kernel BTW. This isn't good at all. Others are getting 16+hrs with a few hrs screen. What's going on here?
    The Android OS drain is a bug. That is why Google is about to push a patch 4.2.2.However, if your having Android System drain, make sure you've opened all the following apps at least one time so they can sign in, regardless if you use them or not. As these are system apps, they will keep sys running until you sign in.

YouTube
    Google Earth
    Google + (I then disable all the sync stuff in g+ settings)
    Chrome
    Currents
    Maps
    Play Music,Magazines, Books, Music

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ok i signed into all of those and disabled all auto sync on everything i dont use. I did have all of those that i dont use disabled...wonder if that matters? Would disabling systems apps cause Android System to run so much? I dont use those apps at all, why not disable them?

I'd expect the OS to be the biggest battery user, its the underpinning software so of course its going to use the most in most cases, however it does seem to be using a lot in a short period of time. I took mine off charge 14hours ago, 3hours screen time and am on 50% battery.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

See, what the hell? What am I doing wrong? I have maybe 7 apps installed and almost all auto sync off! What should try? 8hrs with only a couple hours screen is garbage. Its really Android system thats way up there. If you look at the battery graph it just starts dropping all of the sudden. I wonder whats going on?

ROM
    Rooted AOSP

See, what the hell? What am I doing wrong? I have maybe 7 apps installed and almost all auto sync off! What should try? 8hrs with only a couple hours screen is garbage. Its really Android system thats way up there. If you look at the battery graph it just starts dropping all of the sudden. I wonder whats going on?
    I would enable gapps that come on the stock nexus and ensure they are signed in as mentioned. With the way they have the tight gservices integrated into jb, gapps are vital, even if you don't use them. Apps often cross access each other. I had the same Android System drain until I made sure the following steps were satisfied.

If I were you, I would charge back to 100 and factory reset, then take care of the gapps. If you do that I'm sure you know it will erase all your user data. Be ready to start over and lose all your pics, vids, etc. so make sure you have a good backup.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Argh! I don't have anything on here other than music which i can put back on. They only thing i hate doing is putting all the apps and setting up all the screens and launchers. Does tibu back up all customizations or just apps? Ive only used it to back up apps. I only have a few installed so it wouldnt be hard to just download again. I just dont want to have to set up the wallpaper, notifications, and all that jazz.

ROM
    Rooted AOSP

Try without the factory reset first. Just re-enable all the gapps you have disabled, clear their app data in settings and then open them all (listed earlier) so they can sign in.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

If you look at my screen shot you'll notice the mobile network signal is horrible. Just a few green streaks, but I was on wifi most of that time. I didnt know your mobile network signal mattered when you're on wifi. If it does matter, that could explain some of the battery drain...i mean look at it. It barely has any green at all!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Should I update all gapps even though I don't use them?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

OK I updated all gapps and all sync is of except for calendar and contacts. We'll see how it works.

ROM
    Rooted AOSP

OK I updated all gapps and all sync is of except for calendar and contacts. We'll see how it works.
    You did right. Since the gapps are system apps, they need to remain updated, enabled, and signed in. I think you will find the Android System drain will pretty much disappear, and Android OS will become your new #1.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Argh! I don't have anything on here other than music which i can put back on. They only thing i hate doing is putting all the apps and setting up all the screens and launchers. Does tibu back up all customizations or just apps? Ive only used it to back up apps. I only have a few installed so it wouldnt be hard to just download again. I just dont want to have to set up the wallpaper, notifications, and all that jazz.
    What launcher are you using? I just switched to Nova from Go Launcher because it has an export setting. This way you can save your settings.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Why in the world is android os using 20 something percent of my battery all of the sudden?!? It's top on the list!
    It is not using "20 something percent" of your battery.

Of the actual battery usage in the time frame under consideration, the Android OS used 20%. The Screen used some other percentage; the phone and Wi-Fi and Maps and etc used some other percentage. All of these combined used a total of 100% of the battery usage thus far.

The reason Android OS is at 20% is simply that you are not doing much with the other parts of your phone. If you never use the phone, maps, browser, and so on, you might very well see Android OS rise to 60% or even 80%. OTOH, if you talk extensively on the phone, you will see it rise to the top of the list and other items - like Android OS - sink lower.

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    It is not using "20 something percent" of your battery.

Of the actual battery usage in the time frame under consideration, the Android OS used 20%. The Screen used some other percentage; the phone and Wi-Fi and Maps and etc used some other percentage. All of these combined used a total of 100% of the battery usage thus far.

The reason Android OS is at 20% is simply that you are not doing much with the other parts of your phone. If you never use the phone, maps, browser, and so on, you might very well see Android OS rise to 60% or even 80%. OTOH, if you talk extensively on the phone, you will see it rise to the top of the list and other items - like Android OS - sink lower.
    I took the phone off charge at 100% and did not touch it for about 5hours and the battery was down to about 70 - 75% with Android OS at the top saying 30% is that normal because i didn't use the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by AbuYazeedUK View Post
    I took the phone off charge at 100% and did not touch it for about 5hours and the battery was down to about 70 - 75% with Android OS at the top saying 30% is that normal because i didn't use the phone?
    Kind of yeah. Android os and system take a lot of memory if you dont use it compared to phone idle. Well thats what haopened to my nexus

Sent from my Nexus 4

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

this is definitely not normal. Your phone should be in deep sleep mode and use almost nothing. If I turn my screen off at 100% and turn it back on 5 hours later it will use maybe 3%. Something is amiss in your apps or settings. Imo.

Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    this is definitely not normal. Your phone should be in deep sleep mode and use almost nothing. If I turn my screen off at 100% and turn it back on 5 hours later it will use maybe 3%. Something is amiss in your apps or settings. Imo.

What do you recommend i do wipe and reinstall? i am on AOKP ROM everything was fine so i can't blame the ROM and it only started happening last night so do i need to remember what i changed maybe?

Are you using any VoIP app including groove IP? These apps require connection keep alive, which is reported in android os.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast