Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How should I charge my Nexus 4?

Hello everyone!

I just joined the site when I purchased my Nexus 4 and loving every minute with the phone and community. I came from a Galaxy S3 which has the removable battery so I didn't really care on how I maintained my battery, knowing that if the lifespan of the battery went bad I could just swap it out with another one. But the Nexus 4 doesn't have a removable battery so my question is how should I charge this phone in order to have a healthy/long battery life? I've been hearing two options on how to charge from people on the forums:

1. You can leave it plugged in the outlet as long as you want to (overnight) because the battery inside the N4 stops the battery from being over-charged when full.
    2. The battery in the N4 charges and un-charges around the 90%-99% range so it won't overcharge and ruin the battery lifespan.

How do you charge your Nexus 4 phone?

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Default Re: How should I charge my Nexus 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Choi View Post
    Hello everyone!

I just joined the site when I purchased my Nexus 4 and loving every minute with the phone and community. I came from a Galaxy S3 which has the removable battery so I didn't really care on how I maintained my battery, knowing that if the lifespan of the battery went bad I could just swap it out with another one. But the Nexus 4 doesn't have a removable battery so my question is how should I charge this phone in order to have a healthy/long battery life? I've been hearing two options on how to charge from people on the forums:

1. You can leave it plugged in the outlet as long as you want to (overnight) because the battery inside the N4 stops the battery from being over-charged when full.
    2. The battery in the N4 charges and un-charges around the 90%-99% range so it won't overcharge and ruin the battery lifespan.

How do you charge your Nexus 4 phone?
    #1 is correct. Lithium Ion batteries are much better at handling memory and overcharging so, just use the device. The battery will last a long time as this battery had a longer charge life cycle than regular replacement batteries.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:

Conditioning an Li-ion battery is said to be good for the battery as it increases the maximize battery space than if you didn't condition it and check this out
    How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    it has a detailed explanation on conditioning and how to charge your Nexus 4.
    well basically in the beginning you should only charge with your wall charger and only for around dead. Never use high draining applications and there is a lot more, that's just the conditioning part (only some)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Conditioning an Li-ion battery is said to be good for the battery as it increases the maximize battery space than if you didn't condition it and check this out
    How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    it has a detailed explanation on conditioning and how to charge your Nexus 4.
    well basically in the beginning you should only charge with your wall charger and only for around dead. Never use high draining applications and there is a lot more, that's just the conditioning part (only some)
    Some good info there. The over heating stuff is good info. But, I still believe that in most situations regular use will provide good/optimal results.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4