Nexus 4 has "limited NFC chipset"??

Saucz

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I tried ordering some NFC tags and a rep at a company stated that I have to order a specific set of tags because

"If you have a Nexus 4 you MUST get the NTAG203 tag. The Nexus 4 has a limited NFC chipset that does not read the mifare classic tags.
The NTAG203 has a lot less memory, but it should not affect you if you plan on using apps for phone automation. They use very little space."

Can anyone shed light on this?

cornkracker

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
To my knowledge the Nexus 4 has a newer NFC chip which consumes lesser power. Newer NFC tags work with it.
"the Nexus 4 makes use of the Broadcom BCM20793 NFC controller"
"Mifare Classic tags make use of proprietary protocols developed by NXP; they are not NFC Forum compliant. As a result, phones with non-NXP NFC controllers are unable to communicate with the tags."
This page will help.

Nexus 4 and 10 Incompatible With Mifare Classic NFC Tags | NFC Brief

promanex

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
To my knowledge the Nexus 4 has a newer NFC chip which consumes lesser power. Newer NFC tags work with it.
"the Nexus 4 makes use of the Broadcom BCM20793 NFC controller"
"Mifare Classic tags make use of proprietary protocols developed by NXP; they are not NFC Forum compliant. As a result, phones with non-NXP NFC controllers are unable to communicate with the tags."
This page will help.

Nexus 4 and 10 Incompatible With Mifare Classic NFC Tags | NFC Brief

So the N4 just uses compliant tech rather than non-official? I think this is a good thing.