1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Question about Google Talk

I gave my son my Motorola Photon to use as a wifi device when I upgraded to the N4. I'm trying to get Google Talk working. He can send me a message (and I receive it), but when I reply, it doesn't go to his phone. The Photon is running Android 2.3.5 and will not be updated. Could that be causing the problem, or is there some other setting on his end that needs to be change? We were able to do a google voice chat.

Is there some other wifi messaging app that would be advisable, or an app that would let him send me a message over wifi and I can receive it over wifi or data?

He's not really old enough to have a phone, nor does he have anyone he needs to call or text. I'm just thinking about when I drop him off places, he would have a way to get in touch with me easily.

Default Re: Question about Google Talk

This is an indirect response to your question.

If your goal is that he be able to exchange SMS and MMS text messages with you, consider installing the free WhatsApp on both your phones. WhatsApp works over both cellular and WiFi connections and works very well at that.

The downside is that it must be installed on both the sending and receiving device.

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

You mentioned wanting him to be able to use the phone in a pinch when out and about. have you thought about activating the Photon on Ting?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Okay, it seems to be working now. I had to send him a message from my computer and now he gets them from my phone.

My husband has his phone on ting and we talked about putting our son on one of the cheapest plans, but we are just not there yet. He is with me most of the time, but sometimes he hangs out with friends at a local coffee shop. If they leave early, then I need for him to let me know. This doesn't happen too often, but he is getting to be at that age...

Quote Originally Posted by kmcochran View Post
    Okay, it seems to be working now. I had to send him a message from my computer and now he gets them from my phone.

My husband has his phone on ting and we talked about putting our son on one of the cheapest plans, but we are just not there yet. He is with me most of the time, but sometimes he hangs out with friends at a local coffee shop. If they leave early, then I need for him to let me know. This doesn't happen too often, but he is getting to be at that age...

Will he have WiFi access off places?

If so, why not use internet call using VoIP/sip?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yes, he will have WiFi access. We may try the VoIP calling in the future. We downloaded and installed Google Voice and that seems to be working great for him. He can also reliably send me FB messages as well, and Google Talk voice chat works too.