Netgear PTV3000 and the Nexus 4

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I've been hesitant to write about the Netgear PTV3000 adapter and the Nexus 4 because, as we found out way back in November, it doesn't yet work. That is, the PTV3000 is using "precompatability" firmware, meaning that its Miracast isn't playing nicely with Miracast on the Nexus 4.

Welcome to the wonderful world of being first adopters of a new standard. It happens. Back in November, Netgear PR told me they were working on a firmware update, with my favorite timeline -- "soon." Weeks went by, and my last two e-mails asking for an update haven't been returned. Bother.

But, as these things happen, the firmware indeed has been in testing, and it's leaked out. So I popped the 2.2 update onto my PTV3000 to give it a go.

[INFO]Mind you, this is not official firmware. This is test. This is not final. I expect bugs. That said, it works OK. Some quick thoughts on the Miracast experience in general:
[/INFO]

• Display mirroring is fine. Works as you'd expect. It's also kinda boring. That's not to say it doesn't have its purposes -- it most certainly does. (More on that in a minute.)
  • Netflix works. Mirrors over just fine, and frame rate seems OK. I'm not sure if I'm surprised by that. Didn't try watching a lot of shows. Just some kids cartoon that was on the recommend list. (Thanks, kids!)
  • Tried playing Riptide GP. Didn't go well. So many variables that could have led to that lag. But it was unplayable.
  • YouTube didn't go so well either. Interesting, though, is that the N4 recognizes the PTV3000 as an available output, just as it does the Nexus Q. Had frame-rate issues, though, and audio didn't always work. Moreover, it again was just being mirrored. Not sure if that's the intended function, or if it's supposed to act like a second screen, much as how Youtube works with the Nexus Q, or (I believe -- haven't tried it) the new YT functionality with Google TV.
  • Video from Google Play works OK as well. Again, not great.
I think what it really comes down to is that I do not want to stream stuff from my phone. It's just not good. You know where this is going -- the almighty Nexus Q. Talked about this before on the podcast -- but it's the way to go about things. Take the heavy lifting -- and latency -- off of the phone. The connected device does all that work, and the phone (or tablet) is what controls it.

Right now? Miracast is a fun novelty. But that's all it is. Hell, it's not even listed as a feature of the Nexus 4 now on Google Play, if that tells you anything.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Saw that. Made me horribly dizzy. Also why I'm waiting for the official firmware before doing anything more than this. Not fair to the devices otherwise.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just bought one off of ebay for $54 shipped with the BETA firmware already flashed. I bought a WiDi enabled Fujitsu laptop about a year ago but back them these thing were easily over $100 so between the cost coming down and me having a Nexus 4 hopefully this is worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Bring on the Nexus Q... Bring on the Funk.

Not sure why I had to say that but I did. :D

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I read they are working on it and have plans to do a release soon.

I've heard varying reports too. I have and use a Revue So something to replace it might be nice.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I've heard varying reports too. I have and use a Revue So something to replace it might be nice.

This is really a very important piece left in the Android puzzle. You would think that someone would be smart enough to create an Android version of Apple TV.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is really a very important piece left in the Android puzzle. You would think that someone would be smart enough to create an Android version of Apple TV.

True but unlike the Apple TV the Revue doesn't take up an extra HDMI input and it's remote controls my TV, cable box, and sound bar.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
True but unlike the Apple TV the Revue doesn't take up an extra HDMI input and it's remote controls my TV, cable box, and sound bar.

I just want to be able to control anything I see on my pc on my tv. Maybe I should just buy a new pc and plug it in to my computer.

sidamos

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
AW: Netgear PTV3000 and the Nexus 4

What is the purpose of mirroring a phone screen anyway? If I want to send video, pictures or music to another device, I can use DLNA today with every Android device and many DLNA devices.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Finally got mine yesterday and had a chance to get it set up today. Miricast works no hitches.

FYI for anyone planning to use this with a WiDi laptop... Use the Intel WiDi software provided by your manufacturer not the newest one Intel provides on their site. You can learn from the hour plus I spent flashing firmware to the Netgear box and almost ripping my hair out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance