Google Voice voicemail not working

fionalindberg

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I've used Google Voice voicemail for several years on TMO without any problem - myTouch4G and the Nexus S. However, since I've had the Nexus 4 even though I set it up instead of carrier voicemail its not working. It defaults to TMO voicemail without the transcription. I've seen a few posts in the forums about call forwarding but I called TMO tech support and I'm a post-pay customer and they claim the new microSIM they sent me for my Google Play Nexus 4 shouldn't have changed anything.

Any ideas how to fix this?
1. I use Google Voice (GV) for voicemail and International Calls but do not set it to use my GV number for all calls.
2. I'm a postpay not prepay TMO customer.
3. I have the unlocked Google Play Nexus 4 not TMO's version.
4. GV is still working perfectly fine for international calls.
5. GV voicemail is not working. I've uninstalled / reinstalled several times.

THANKS in advance for any advice, tips, needed settings.....

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Reinstall the GV app. When the screen comes up hit configure. From there switch the voice mail handler from my carrier to GV. The step many forget is to then hit setup. A screen will appear for a moment then go away while the phone configures GV voice mail.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

fionalindberg

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I've done that but it doesn't work. I'm very familiar with GV as I've used it for several years without any problems. I used to flash ROMs on my phones all the time and so I'd have to say I've installed and configured GV dozens of times. I've only had a problem with the Nexus 4, so disappointing. I have to believe its fixable but not sure how. I believe changing the SIM may be the issue. Maybe it doesn't support call forwarding. Even though my Voicemail settings say GV not Carrier, it is in fact routing to carrier voicemail.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I've done that but it doesn't work. I'm very familiar with GV as I've used it for several years without any problems. I used to flash ROMs on my phones all the time and so I'd have to say I've installed and configured GV dozens of times. I've only had a problem with the Nexus 4, so disappointing. I have to believe its fixable but not sure how. I believe changing the SIM may be the issue. Maybe it doesn't support call forwarding. Even though my Voicemail settings say GV not Carrier, it is in fact routing to carrier voicemail.

No problem was just trying to cover all the bases. GV has worked for me on the N4 both stock and with custom ROMs so hard to pinpoint the cause.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

fionalindberg

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
For troubleshooting purposes I deactivated GV on this phone and the attempted to reactivate. When entering the activation code I'm getting 'call forwarding connection problem or invalid MMI.' Any i ideas base on this?

fionalindberg

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ok, issue resolved I believe. I called TMO and they deactivated then reactivated conditional and unconditional call forwarding. Also, in my phone settings for call forwarding the numbers were for TMO vmail not my GV number (even though GV voicemail set). I fixed and made a test call and appears to be working now. Routing to GV voicemail.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been able to get Google Voice to work properly at all, so I just uninstalled it. I really wouldn't need it much anyway. I was just using it for visual voicemail. Other than that, there really was no other reason for me to use the service.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

go into call forwarding in ur phone app and send it to gv ( fwd to ur google voice #) that way, been using it like that in my nexus 4 for a long time

Posted via Android Central App

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been able to get Google Voice to work properly at all, so I just uninstalled it. I really wouldn't need it much anyway. I was just using it for visual voicemail. Other than that, there really was no other reason for me to use the service.

you can use call forwarding to do it ( forward unanswered etc to ur Google voice #) in stock dialer app

Posted via Android Central App

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Installed Google voice again this time and it works. When I go into the dialer though I cannot press 1 to access my voicemail. It tells call cannot be completed. But the voice mails go through fine on the app.

Carlos Lamb

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
The solution seems to be as suggested in the previous post. Call your provider and ask them to verify your conditional and unconditional call forwarding settings. In my case, call forwarding was disabled. The support rep asked me what number I wanted voicemail to go to. I gave her my GV number, and it worked.

I have a Galaxy Note 5 with Verizon, but I suspect the issue is the same with all phones and carriers.

Good luck,
Carlos

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech