Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mattatwar1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Voice voicemail not working

I've used Google Voice voicemail for several years on TMO without any problem - myTouch4G and the Nexus S. However, since I've had the Nexus 4 even though I set it up instead of carrier voicemail its not working. It defaults to TMO voicemail without the transcription. I've seen a few posts in the forums about call forwarding but I called TMO tech support and I'm a post-pay customer and they claim the new microSIM they sent me for my Google Play Nexus 4 shouldn't have changed anything.

Any ideas how to fix this?
    1. I use Google Voice (GV) for voicemail and International Calls but do not set it to use my GV number for all calls.
    2. I'm a postpay not prepay TMO customer.
    3. I have the unlocked Google Play Nexus 4 not TMO's version.
    4. GV is still working perfectly fine for international calls.
    5. GV voicemail is not working. I've uninstalled / reinstalled several times.

THANKS in advance for any advice, tips, needed settings.....

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Default Re: Google Voice voicemail not working

Reinstall the GV app. When the screen comes up hit configure. From there switch the voice mail handler from my carrier to GV. The step many forget is to then hit setup. A screen will appear for a moment then go away while the phone configures GV voice mail.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks, I've done that but it doesn't work. I'm very familiar with GV as I've used it for several years without any problems. I used to flash ROMs on my phones all the time and so I'd have to say I've installed and configured GV dozens of times. I've only had a problem with the Nexus 4, so disappointing. I have to believe its fixable but not sure how. I believe changing the SIM may be the issue. Maybe it doesn't support call forwarding. Even though my Voicemail settings say GV not Carrier, it is in fact routing to carrier voicemail.

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by fionalindberg View Post
    Thanks, I've done that but it doesn't work. I'm very familiar with GV as I've used it for several years without any problems. I used to flash ROMs on my phones all the time and so I'd have to say I've installed and configured GV dozens of times. I've only had a problem with the Nexus 4, so disappointing. I have to believe its fixable but not sure how. I believe changing the SIM may be the issue. Maybe it doesn't support call forwarding. Even though my Voicemail settings say GV not Carrier, it is in fact routing to carrier voicemail.
    No problem was just trying to cover all the bases. GV has worked for me on the N4 both stock and with custom ROMs so hard to pinpoint the cause.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

For troubleshooting purposes I deactivated GV on this phone and the attempted to reactivate. When entering the activation code I'm getting 'call forwarding connection problem or invalid MMI.' Any i ideas base on this?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ok, issue resolved I believe. I called TMO and they deactivated then reactivated conditional and unconditional call forwarding. Also, in my phone settings for call forwarding the numbers were for TMO vmail not my GV number (even though GV voicemail set). I fixed and made a test call and appears to be working now. Routing to GV voicemail.

I am having the same problem... got a new SIM card and now the GV isn't working on my HTC Amaze. Suggestions?

Same Probrlem, not working, not user friendly!

Global Posts
    662 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogen 6.1

Quote Originally Posted by David Keyte View Post
    Same Probrlem, not working, not user friendly!
    Has there been any solutions? I just noticed that my Google Voice is no longer working even though I have configured it to be the main voice mail.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I haven't been able to get Google Voice to work properly at all, so I just uninstalled it. I really wouldn't need it much anyway. I was just using it for visual voicemail. Other than that, there really was no other reason for me to use the service.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

I had the same problem. Couldn't get google voice to work. Oh well

Quote Originally Posted by fionalindberg View Post
    go into call forwarding in ur phone app and send it to gv ( fwd to ur google voice #) that way, been using it like that in my nexus 4 for a long time

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    marvvn 
    marvvn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    I haven't been able to get Google Voice to work properly at all, so I just uninstalled it. I really wouldn't need it much anyway. I was just using it for visual voicemail. Other than that, there really was no other reason for me to use the service.

you can use call forwarding to do it ( forward unanswered etc to ur Google voice #) in stock dialer app

Posted via Android Central App

Installed Google voice again this time and it works. When I go into the dialer though I cannot press 1 to access my voicemail. It tells call cannot be completed. But the voice mails go through fine on the app.