Barcode scanner can't focus! Camera has trouble with close-up shots

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone found a barcode scanner app that works well with the Nexus 4? In all the camera apps I've tried, the Nexus 4 camera has a hard time focusing with close up shots, especially of shiny things (like the back of a DVD).

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Go into Settings within the app and put a checkbox in the "Use auto focus" setting.

I encountered the same problem you did and was frustrated until I turned on auto focus. Now it works flawlessly.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
It's already checked. :(

Maybe uncheck it and re-check it. If that doesn't work then quit the app and relaunch it.

All I know is that initially the app was unless and I was completed baffled (I used to use it fine on the Sidekick 4G). I fiddled around with the settings and then things worked fine.

Does it focus fine most of the time or just had troubles from time to time?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone found a barcode scanner app that works well with the Nexus 4? In all the camera apps I've tried, the Nexus 4 camera has a hard time focusing with close up shots, especially of shiny things (like the back of a DVD).

How close are we talking about here? A quick test on my Sunday newspaper shows that my N4 will quickly focus at about 3 to 4 inches but has a very hard time at around 2 inches or less. Not terribly surprising, IMO.

Are you aware that you can zoom the camera? Instead of trying to focus at 2 or 3 inches from the subject, back up to 6 to 10 inches then pinch two fingers at the middle of the screen and spread them to zoom up to 3.9X

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Oddly, my N4 seems to focus properly on paper, but on screen it seems unable to focus.

My Gnex has no issue focusing on screen however, leading me to believe it is the camera or the camera sw on the N4.

Glad it was not only me,
Dan

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Oddly, my N4 seems to focus properly on paper, but on screen it seems unable to focus.

My Gnex has no issue focusing on screen however, leading me to believe it is the camera or the camera sw on the N4.

Glad it was not only me,
Dan
me too. this is exactly the issue (also doesn't work on Sony dvd covers with bright lights)

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
To see the issue, try this test:

1. Get the clear plastic overlay that was on your Nexus 4 when you bought it that has the IMEI black bar on it
2. Put the IMEI clear plastic on your desk
3. Turn on the camera app and move to landscape
4. Get close enough that the IMEI black box takes up the whole horizontal width of the camera app (this is 2-3.5 inches away)
5. Click on the screen to focus on the IMEI number

You'll notice the lens moves back and forth and for a few milliseconds, the IMEI is in focus but then it loses it.