I hate to ask, but I might need some help. (AT&T)

AuntieJimbo

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I've read the excellent how-to threads that some of the mods/users here have put together, so I do solemnly swear I've tried to be self-sufficient. However, I'm coming from four years on iPhones and fear I may have gotten in over my head. My N4 arrives tomorrow. I'm currently on an AT&T unlimited smartphone data plan. I've been reading here and there that the N4 has commitment issues when it comes to AT&T. Is there any way to find out what I need to do to my phone to get it to make calls, receive texts, connect to wifi, all that awesome stuff that people on other carriers seem to be enjoying?
Thanks for any help, and if it's a matter of simply rereading the how-to guides, I can totally do that.

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Welcome aboard. Your phone will work 100% out of the box with ATT. The only thing I did was change the APN settings. The default one work, but they only allow you to connect to a slower network. Check this thread, I used these APN settings and they seem to work well. Do some searches you'll find other suggestions as well. But the phone should work 100% out of the box. Mine did coming from an ATT iPhone.

APN setting below:

[APN][AT&T][MMS][HSPA+] Single APN for HSPA+ Speeds AND MMS - (Updated 9/15) - xda-developers

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Funny, I came from 4 years as an iPhone user as well. The two things you need are the correct APN settings as outlined above (The N4 will have a "stock" setting, but I had better luck with the setting referred to as the "Phone" setting as described in the link above) AND you need to be on a 4G smartphone plan and that is what is giving some people an issue. It is an issue that has to do with the phone not being in AT&Ts computer system, and that they need the IMEI number of a 4G phone to put you on a 4G plan. If you are already coming from a 4G smartphone it is not an issue. Supposedly the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 data plans are different. They work for some, and not for others.

If you haven't already, check out this thread, I found it very helpful:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/226814-anyone-activated-nexus-4-att.html

I had no probs with AT&T for the few weeks I used them before switching over to T-Mobile.

AuntieJimbo

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Oh merciful goats, I should have done a better search of these forums. This is most helpful. Thanks!
ps- sonicresidue, is that a Doctor Who reference?

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Oh merciful goats, I should have done a better search of these forums. This is most helpful. Thanks!
ps- sonicresidue, is that a Doctor Who reference?

Glad I can help. No its not a Dr Who reference although I do love the old series (Not that new stuff) its a reference to an obscure piece of music

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc