Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Default Re: Nova Launcher on Nexus 4 - Any users?

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    I know you can change icons in ADW but it's a pain when compared to nova or apex. Instead of long pressing the icon to change the icon, you have to create a custom shortcut. If you are insinuating that it's different in the paid version of ADW, then that would be illogical on ADWs part. Same goes for long pressing an icon on the home screen to un install the app directly. ADW paid has dock swipes? Not referring to dock pages, I'm talking about doing an upward swiping motion on an app in the dock to achieve another function. Also, you can only add one app at a time in the home screen whereas in nova you can add multiple apps on the home screen at the same time (saves a lot of time, trust me). And for me, I don't like the scrolling speed in ADWs app drawer but I guess that's rather subjective. It's good to see that ADW can backup and restore widgets though...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    I think they call the swipes "gesture controls". And I agree regarding the adding multiple apps. Apex also doesn't do this which is a pain. Nova rules in my opinion. Even Go Launcher is great if it wasn't such a memory hog.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I think they call the swipes "gesture controls". And I agree regarding the adding multiple apps. Apex also doesn't do this which is a pain. Nova rules in my opinion. Even Go Launcher is great if it wasn't such a memory hog.

Yeah just noticed that but it appears you get one 'swipe action' for the entire dock whereas with nova you can do different swipes for each app on the dock... Yeah apex needs to allow for adding multiple apps on the home screen and needs backup/restore feature similar to nova. Then they would be very even.

Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Yeah just noticed that but it appears you get one 'swipe action' for the entire dock whereas with nova you can do different swipes for each app on the dock... Yeah apex needs to allow for adding multiple apps on the home screen and needs backup/restore feature similar to nova. Then they would be very even.

I think I saw a backup option in Apex but haven't tried it. One other thing I love about Nova is that when you speed up the transitions it just flies. Almost instantaneous response on my Nexus 4.

Android Evangelist

I know you can change icons in ADW but it's a pain when compared to nova or apex. Instead of long pressing the icon to change the icon, you have to create a custom shortcut. If you are insinuating that it's different in the paid version of ADW, then that would be illogical on ADWs part. Same goes for long pressing an icon on the home screen to un install the app directly. ADW paid has dock swipes? Not referring to dock pages, I'm talking about doing an upward swiping motion on an app in the dock to achieve another function. Also, you can only add one app at a time in the home screen whereas in nova you can add multiple apps on the home screen at the same time (saves a lot of time, trust me). And for me, I don't like the scrolling speed in ADWs app drawer but I guess that's rather subjective. It's good to see that ADW can backup and restore widgets though...

Double tap on any icon and you can change it, resize, manage the app (uninstall and otherwise), and share the app. And yep, you can set a gesture for the dock. And multiple gestures on a single screen.

Although you got me in the adding multiple apps to a homescreen at a time.

Also, I really love the widget integration.

Thanked by 2:

This might be a stupid question but how do you switch between Nova and the stock launcher?

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Basscase View Post
    Double tap on any icon and you can change it, resize, manage the app (uninstall and otherwise), and share the app. And yep, you can set a gesture for the dock. And multiple gestures on a single screen.

Although you got me in the adding multiple apps to a homescreen at a time.

Also, I really love the widget integration.

Did not know about the double tap thing.... Thanks for informing. Nova still wins in the dock gesture department because you can set each app in the dock to perform a different function as opposed to one gesture for the entire dock like ADW... So for this example, if I swipe up on air droid in my dock, my phone will automatically sync with my itunes library, wirelessly. Pretty cool stuff.

I also like ADWs widget menu that you showed. Is there a way to change the scrolling speed in the app drawer?

Novas gesture functions are more detailed as well having clockwise and counterclockwise gestures and including page jumpers

Nova Launcher on Nexus 4 - Any users?-uploadfromtaptalk1357365309473.jpg

Another thing would be allowing no background image for folders. Not a huge deal but it does matter when themeing sometimes

Nova Launcher on Nexus 4 - Any users?-uploadfromtaptalk1357365474292.jpg

One thing I gotta give credit to ADW would be it's ability to change the background color to any color you want. Nova doesn't have this. Nova Launcher on Nexus 4 - Any users?-uploadfromtaptalk1357365556917.jpg

More things that nova can do that ADW can't is the overlap when placing (different than just widget overlap when resizing). What this allows you to do is essentially place icons over widgets (useful feature for some themes)
    Nova Launcher on Nexus 4 - Any users?-uploadfromtaptalk1357366023579.jpg

Also nova can show unread badge counts for missed calls, unread texts, emails, etc. Didn't see this in ADW
    Nova Launcher on Nexus 4 - Any users?-uploadfromtaptalk1357366086435.jpg

With nova you can also place widgets on the dock itself, which can be useful sometimes
    Nova Launcher on Nexus 4 - Any users?-uploadfromtaptalk1357366176066.jpg

Last edited by bobjohnson201; 01-05-2013 at 12:29 AM.
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
    Thanked by 4:
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by sonicresidue View Post
    This might be a stupid question but how do you switch between Nova and the stock launcher?
    Download the app called twisted home manager, you can keep toggling between the launchers

Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

After learning about the double tap thing (very useful btw), I think i'm going to make a theme on ADW and toggle between it, Nova and Apex... Nova is still my fav though

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I've been doing the same thing.

Android Evangelist
    bobjohnson201 likes this.

Nova still wins in the dock gesture department because you can set each app in the dock to perform a different function as opposed to one gesture for the entire dock like ADW... So for this example, if I swipe up on air droid in my dock, my phone will automatically sync with my itunes library, wirelessly. Pretty cool stuff.
    That is very cool! I can see some awesome uses for that!

I also like ADWs widget menu that you showed. Is there a way to change the scrolling speed in the app drawer?
    Not really, but you can change the page transition. Maybe that will help. I have no issues with the speed. There are some pretty cool drawer opening effects too.

Another thing would be allowing no background image for folders. Not a huge deal but it does matter when themeing sometimes
    ADW has a few different folder styles. But you're right the no background option would be nice.

More things that nova can do that ADW can't is the overlap when placing (different than just widget overlap when resizing). What this allows you to do is essentially place icons over widgets (useful feature for some themes)
    Interesting. That could be useful.

Also nova can show unread badge counts for missed calls, unread texts, emails, etc. Didn't see this in ADW
    I want to say ADW has this. I could be wrong though.

With nova you can also place widgets on the dock itself, which can be useful sometimes
    Now this I've never heard of. Sounds cool.

This is exactly the discussion I was looking for! Thanks! I might just have to give nova a try.

Edit:
    Bought Nova Prime.

Edit #2:
    It gave me an error when I tried to import my ADW settings. I'll have to play with it when I get a chance.

Last edited by Basscase; 01-05-2013 at 01:43 AM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That is very cool! I can see some awesome uses for that!

Not really, but you can change the page transition. Maybe that will help. I have no issues with the speed. There are some pretty cool drawer opening effects too.

ADW has a few different folder styles. But you're right the no background option would be nice.

Interesting. That could be useful.

I want to say ADW has this. I could be wrong though.

Now this I've never heard of. Sounds cool.

This is exactly the discussion I was looking for! Thanks! I might just have to give nova a try.

Edit:
    Bought Nova Prime.

Edit #2:
    It gave me an error when I tried to import my ADW settings. I'll have to play with it when I get a chance.

haha its a win-win. you helped me see some useful things with ADW and I helped you see some things with Nova. Isn't android wonderful?

Another thing to note: the widget over the dock thing is an experimental feature. You can enable all the experimental features by holding the volume down button while on nova settings. you will see a new option titled "labs"
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I thank you both for enlightening me.

Android Evangelist
    bobjohnson201 and Basscase like this.

How did it fubar your icons? I have Apex and Nova both installed and swap back and forth all the time. They are both pretty good, but I think Nova is better. It's faster and gives you a few more features that make customizing easier.

When you swap back and forth do your settings have to be reset or does it remember them?

Also do either Nova or Apex require root or will they work with stock un-rooted phone?
    Galaxy Note II 16GB white unlocked and Galaxy Note 10.1 grey version GT-N8013 not rooted
    Linux user #449322 running Linux Mint 13 KDE

Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    Also do either Nova or Apex require root or will they work with stock un-rooted phone?
    No root required.
    Thanked by:
    donec 
    donec likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
    No root required.
    That's great now I have even more to play with.
    Galaxy Note II 16GB white unlocked and Galaxy Note 10.1 grey version GT-N8013 not rooted

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

When you swap back and forth do your settings have to be reset or does it remember them?

when you switch back and forth the appropriate launcher remembers all your settings. So say you in apex you have a 6x4 grid, various gesture controls enabled, notficiation bar and dock hidden, and in Nova you have a 10x8 grid, different gesture controls, dock and notification bar enabled, when you switch back and forth each launcher will retain what you set it to do. Nova even lets you create backups for your whole desktop layout, which stores all the settings, loads what icons you used for apps/where you placed them, and remembers the widget placement you used. and yeah, works with stock un-rooted phone. hope this helps!

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I think I saw a backup option in Apex but haven't tried it. One other thing I love about Nova is that when you speed up the transitions it just flies. Almost instantaneous response on my Nexus 4.

apex seems to only allow for one backup and you can't even name them . so everytime you change something and then back it up, i believe it will just overwrite your previous backup. i also don't like how the backups in apex are divided into two catagories. i think ADW's is better but i don't have much experience with that either...

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

apex seems to only allow for one backup and you can't even name them . so everytime you change something and then back it up, i believe it will just overwrite your previous backup. i also don't like how the backups in apex are divided into two catagories. i think ADW's is better but i don't have much experience with that either...
    ya you're right. Could you save to a different folder?

Android Evangelist

when you switch back and forth the appropriate launcher remembers all your settings. So say you in apex you have a 6x4 grid, various gesture controls enabled, notficiation bar and dock hidden, and in Nova you have a 10x8 grid, different gesture controls, dock and notification bar enabled, when you switch back and forth each launcher will retain what you set it to do. Nova even lets you create backups for your whole desktop layout, which stores all the settings, loads what icons you used for apps/where you placed them, and remembers the widget placement you used. and yeah, works with stock un-rooted phone. hope this helps!
    Thanks for the replies.

Does that hold true with the stock launcher also like if you switch from stock launcher to Nova and then to Apex and back to stock will you have your original stock launcher back like it was?

Sounds like Nova allows you to make backups and name them each differently. Is this correct?

Once you made the first backup is there any reason you could not copy that file/files to another folder and then create a second different backup and when the time came restore the one you choose?

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Idk how...

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Thanks for the replies.

Does that hold true with the stock launcher also like if you switch from stock launcher to Nova and then to Apex and back to stock will you have your original stock launcher back like it was?
    Yes.
    Sounds like Nova allows you to make backups and name them each differently. Is this correct?
    Yup. It's an amazing feature. Also, ADW seems to allow for multiple backups which are sorted by the date you did the backup.
    Once you made the first backup is there any reason you could not copy that file/files to another folder and then create a second different backup and when the time came restore the one you choose?
    The problem with this is when you backup something in apex, each backup will have the same exact name (I believe), so when you move your other backups back to the appropriate folder that apex reads when looking for restore files, Idk how that would work... But this gives me an idea. Each time you do a backup move it to a dedicated folder, and rename the backup whatever you want. Then when the time comes to restore, move your desired backup back to the apex (restore) folder and rename the file back to the original name (forgot exactly what it is titled). I guess this would work. But Im not sure if apex even remembers widget placements like Nova does. Don't know for sure but I have read things on xda. Maybe that was for an older version?

Edit: just learned that apex does NOT restore widgets. Beware...

Last edited by bobjohnson201; 01-05-2013 at 10:54 PM.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

That stinks considering that the widgets are most of the work.

Android Evangelist

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That stinks considering that the widgets are most of the work.

yup...

Just got word from Nova's developer. Kevin, nice guy, quick response. Ace in my book. :thumbup:

Unfortunately the only thing he can suggest to fix the problem importing my ADW settings is to uninstall then reinstall ADW, which completely defeats the purpose of importing. :thumbdown:

Looks like I'll manually have to set up my Nova screens.

Edit:
    So you can share a backup file via email. I did that now I just have to bring myself to uninstall ADW. If the backup I sent doesn't work once I reinstall I'll have to launchers to set up from scratch.

Here we go...

Edit2:
    Good news: The emailed backup worked! I just had to format my widgets again. No biggy.
    Bad news: Still won't let me import into Nova.

Last edited by Basscase; 01-06-2013 at 10:50 AM.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Just got word from Nova's developer. Kevin, nice guy, quick response. Ace in my book. :thumbup:

Unfortunately the only thing he can suggest to fix the problem importing my ADW settings is to uninstall then reinstall ADW, which completely defeats the purpose of importing. :thumbdown:

Looks like I'll manually have to set up my Nova screens.

Edit:
    So you can share a backup file via email. I did that now I just have to bring myself to uninstall ADW. If the backup I sent doesn't work once I reinstall I'll have to launchers to set up from scratch.

Here we go...

Edit2:
    Good news: The emailed backup worked! I just had to format my widgets again. No biggy.
    Bad news: Still won't let me import into Nova.

I uninstalled Apex and just decided to use Nova. I find it just works better for me.

Android Evangelist
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast