Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: the back of my nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by mawil1013 View Post
    Here's pic of my Nexus 4 - 16 GB, ordered Nov. 30th, arrived today, is yours 8 or 16 GB?

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5d3a4169.jpg
    16 GB
    asked XDA guys "http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=36115583#post36115583"
    got two pictures over there of my phone.

Take a photo of the back of yours with a camera with the flash turned on from an angle. I bet it looks more like the sparkly photos you are seeing online. Its pretty underwhelming when you look at it under diffused or indirect light straight on, but direct light at an angle seems to make it pop.

Most of the photos you've seen of the back were taken with a real camera with the proper lighting conditions, that's just not how it looks in the real world.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Quote Originally Posted by digitalslacker View Post
    Take a photo of the back of yours with a camera with the flash turned on from an angle. I bet it looks more like the sparkly photos you are seeing online. Its pretty underwhelming when you look at it under diffused or indirect light straight on, but direct light at an angle seems to make it pop.

Most of the photos you've seen of the back were taken with a real camera with the proper lighting conditions, that's just not how it looks in the real world.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Oh, yeah, I can see it I guess but it's still really not noticeable. Videos show, even without flash. Just normal light.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Oh, yeah, I can see it I guess but it's still really not noticeable. Videos show, even without flash. Just normal light.
    I remember hearing one of the Android Central podcasts when the N4 first hit where the crew talked about how the back is really way more mooted than it's appearing to be in the press renderings, reviews and videos.

These guys use lighting rigs to take better photos and the back is apparently designed to catch and refract the light. Your kitchen and living room aren't light like that because we don't like direct light because it's harsher on the eyes.

That's the difference. Personally, I'm happy about it. I don't want the back of my phone to look bedazzeled and it was a mild strick against the phone when I first saw the reviews. Hearing people say it was more mooted in real life made me feel much better about picking one up.

Could you post a flashed light photo of yours so we could compare?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker

yeah if you took a photo with flash on at that distance, you are sure to get a result of some major reflection.
    if not... it does even with no flash look a bit muted... they could have sourced the back from someone else and just not as vibrant.
    not a deal breaker for me but it is a bummer.

From the photos on XDA you still have the back factory film on it. You RMA'ed a perfect phone. Wasn't what you expected but it was what you ordered. And you wonder why it takes forever to ship out orders. XDA continues to mock AC members, with reason it seems.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Quote Originally Posted by SOLGarion View Post
    From the photos on XDA you still have the back factory film on it. You RMA'ed a perfect phone. Wasn't what you expected but it was what you ordered. And you wonder why it takes forever to ship out orders. XDA continues to mock AC members, with reason it seems.

Well that's not the only problem, still have the earpiece buzz and the shaky thing (which I think is the autofocus), I just wasn't sure about the back. Some people said the earpiece was a software but this back problem (well it might be...? I've seen people that flashes way more with the film too) has made me wants a RMA. And I really don't care what XDA thinks... it's not like I can't just join their forums if I want to, it's not a site for the elites.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

oh yeah, less breaking? AWESOME! but hey guys i was right and i'm not stupid! lol

edit: after taking off my case to look at the back, it seems to have it's glittery ness back though not as profound as previous models. It's just a certain angle to see it, you have to make the glass point almost towards the source of the light and it can't just be in a lighted room. That's a shame.

boy that new backing looks "plain ugly." but i guess it'll be stronger.
    if i had to guess... maybe the etching process to get that effect on the original glass weakened the whole piece??
    I definitely like the styling on my N4... but it's kinda covered on my clear cruzerlite anyways.
    I guess my cruzerlite will now stay on my phone full time to protect my 'limited edition' backing

Quote Originally Posted by Alexg314 View Post
    Last edited by donm527; 01-01-2013 at 10:19 PM.

hey i never thought you were stupid i even said it could have been a new change.

i wonder what other changes were made... shake it and let me know if you hear a rattle... or plug in earphones and check for crackling... thx.

oh yeah, less breaking? AWESOME! but hey guys i was right and i'm not stupid! lol

edit: after taking off my case to look at the back, it seems to have it's glittery ness back though not as profound as previous models. It's just a certain angle to see it, you have to make the glass point almost towards the source of the light and it can't just be in a lighted room. That's a shame.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    hey i never thought you were stupid i even said it could have been a new change.

i wonder what other changes were made... shake it and let me know if you hear a rattle... or plug in earphones and check for crackling... thx.
    People kept telling me to look in the light lol even though i was.
    Well i still have static in the earpiece and slight rattle. None in headphones jack, though im not sure thats a very common problem

Sent from my Nexus 4

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Well i still have static in the earpiece and slight rattle. None in headphones jack, though im not sure thats a very common problem

Sent from my Nexus 4
    It's more common than you think but affects other phones too. Basically it's frequency so undo from the cell radio.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Sent from my Nexus 4
    While you still have the new phone, check the hardware version. Turn off the phone and turn it back on while holding down the volume down button. This will boot into the bootloader and there is a list of information towards the bottom of the screen. It seems like most of the launch models have been rev_10, with a few rev_11 mixed in. There is someone on XDA with a phone without the sparkle that is rev_12b. Then check the bottom of your box for the serial number (the serial number on the box is different from the serial number listed in the bootloader). The first three numbers correspond with the manufacture date of your phone. The first number is the year (it will be a 2, for 2012). The second and third numbers are the month (mine is 10, October). After the first three numbers, there is a letter which corresponds to the country of manufacture. Most (all?) of the launch day phones have had a K for Korea, but the sparkleless one on XDA has a C for China.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Quote Originally Posted by Pyroshane View Post
    While you still have the new phone, check the hardware version. Turn off the phone and turn it back on while holding down the volume down button. This will boot into the bootloader and there is a list of information towards the bottom of the screen. It seems like most of the launch models have been rev_10, with a few rev_11 mixed in. There is someone on XDA with a phone without the sparkle that is rev_12b. Then check the bottom of your box for the serial number (the serial number on the box is different from the serial number listed in the bootloader). The first three numbers correspond with the manufacture date of your phone. The first number is the year (it will be a 2, for 2012). The second and third numbers are the month (mine is 10, October). After the first three numbers, there is a letter which corresponds to the country of manufacture. Most (all?) of the launch day phones have had a K for Korea, but the sparkleless one on XDA has a C for China.
    Got a rev_11 and the serial is 212K.
    What is the 12? Does that just mean december or what?
    And mine came from korea, guess google are just using two manufacturers instead of one instead of changing

Sent from my Nexus 4

This site is terrible... I hate when it shows up in Google news. All they do is post "stories" based on what they read on forums like this one.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
    bobjohnson201 likes this.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Got my Nexus4 today, WITH the glitter.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4,353 Global Posts

I have a replacement N4 pending and I would be very upset if it didn't have the sparkles. IMO this is what makes it stand out from any other device. I thin the sparkles are so cool.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    I have a replacement N4 pending and I would be very upset if it didn't have the sparkles. IMO this is what makes it stand out from any other device. I thin the sparkles are so cool.
    I love it too but its probably not a deal breaker, i have a case a majority of the time but it will annoy me when i takr it off and remener of my dull back

Sent from my Nexus 4

http://m.androidcentral.com/those-gl...medium=twitter

Lol

Hopefully the link redirects correctly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Basscase; 01-03-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Basscase View Post
    Android Central Community Search | Android Central

Lol

Hopefully the link redirects correctly.

So the phone the site said was of a non-glittery Nexus 4 was really just a diffused light shot of Phil's Nexus 4 that he took months ago with AC's watermark cropped out.

And they did all that just so they could click bait people? This sort of thing happens on the Internet? Shocking...
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker
    Plano26 likes this.

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Is this for real? Wtf?

Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    Is this for real? Wtf?

Apparantly not. But its on my phone.

Wouldnt worry about it, i think its a really rare thing

Sent from my Nexus 4

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Did you take off the plastic on the back?

Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4

Maybe you should email phil and send him your phone and if he see's a difference, he should give you his phone for calling the issue BS

Wouldnt worry about it, i think its a really rare thing

Sent from my Nexus 4
    badbrad17 likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12