the back of my nexus 4

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Look on the bright side...maybe it's a super rare original dev phone worth some $$$!

Either way, it appears to be VERY rare. Until we hear otherwise.

God dammit >.> If it was I would be so pissed lol.
Well deficiencies are very rare but it doesn't mean it's any good. For example my Nexus 4 arrives crushed and in half, that's pretty rare isn't it? But it isn't good either lol.
There are no other instances of this on the internet that I see but it's early on in the day with the second wave still arriving.

- - - Updated - - -

in certain lighting there is no sparkle. Even then it wont sparkle like you see in the pictures. Its supposed to be somewhat subtle.

There is NO sparkle. When you look in the light, all you see is the reflection on the glass and you see small dots but they aren't alight.

Basscase

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
God dammit >.> If it was I would be so pissed lol.
Well deficiencies are very rare but it doesn't mean it's any good. For example my Nexus 4 arrives crushed and in half, that's pretty rare isn't it? But it isn't good either lol.
There are no other instances of this on the internet that I see but it's early on in the day with the second wave still arriving.
Ummmm...I'd take a flat black backed N4 over a snapped in half one. ;)

Maybe I just like being...unique.

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Here's pic of my Nexus 4 - 16 GB, ordered Nov. 30th, arrived today, is yours 8 or 16 GB?

__TEMP__9dcab9f9ecd9eb22b74df30e6e9a1b78-1355843510_9_IMG-20121231-00040_zps5d3a4169.jpg

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Take a photo of the back of yours with a camera with the flash turned on from an angle. I bet it looks more like the sparkly photos you are seeing online. Its pretty underwhelming when you look at it under diffused or indirect light straight on, but direct light at an angle seems to make it pop.

Most of the photos you've seen of the back were taken with a real camera with the proper lighting conditions, that's just not how it looks in the real world.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Take a photo of the back of yours with a camera with the flash turned on from an angle. I bet it looks more like the sparkly photos you are seeing online. Its pretty underwhelming when you look at it under diffused or indirect light straight on, but direct light at an angle seems to make it pop.

Most of the photos you've seen of the back were taken with a real camera with the proper lighting conditions, that's just not how it looks in the real world.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Oh, yeah, I can see it I guess but it's still really not noticeable. Videos show, even without flash. Just normal light.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh, yeah, I can see it I guess but it's still really not noticeable. Videos show, even without flash. Just normal light.

I remember hearing one of the Android Central podcasts when the N4 first hit where the crew talked about how the back is really way more mooted than it's appearing to be in the press renderings, reviews and videos.

These guys use lighting rigs to take better photos and the back is apparently designed to catch and refract the light. Your kitchen and living room aren't light like that because we don't like direct light because it's harsher on the eyes.

That's the difference. Personally, I'm happy about it. I don't want the back of my phone to look bedazzeled and it was a mild strick against the phone when I first saw the reviews. Hearing people say it was more mooted in real life made me feel much better about picking one up.

Could you post a flashed light photo of yours so we could compare?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
yeah if you took a photo with flash on at that distance, you are sure to get a result of some major reflection.
if not... it does even with no flash look a bit muted... they could have sourced the back from someone else and just not as vibrant.
not a deal breaker for me but it is a bummer.

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
From the photos on XDA you still have the back factory film on it. You RMA'ed a perfect phone. Wasn't what you expected but it was what you ordered. And you wonder why it takes forever to ship out orders. XDA continues to mock AC members, with reason it seems.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
From the photos on XDA you still have the back factory film on it. You RMA'ed a perfect phone. Wasn't what you expected but it was what you ordered. And you wonder why it takes forever to ship out orders. XDA continues to mock AC members, with reason it seems.

Well that's not the only problem, still have the earpiece buzz and the shaky thing (which I think is the autofocus), I just wasn't sure about the back. Some people said the earpiece was a software but this back problem (well it might be...? I've seen people that flashes way more with the film too) has made me wants a RMA. And I really don't care what XDA thinks... it's not like I can't just join their forums if I want to, it's not a site for the elites.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
oh yeah, less breaking? AWESOME! but hey guys i was right and i'm not stupid! lol

edit: after taking off my case to look at the back, it seems to have it's glittery ness back though not as profound as previous models. It's just a certain angle to see it, you have to make the glass point almost towards the source of the light and it can't just be in a lighted room. That's a shame.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
boy that new backing looks "plain ugly." but i guess it'll be stronger.
if i had to guess... maybe the etching process to get that effect on the original glass weakened the whole piece??
I definitely like the styling on my N4... but it's kinda covered on my clear cruzerlite anyways.
I guess my cruzerlite will now stay on my phone full time to protect my 'limited edition' backing ;)

ncSF6.jpg

Last edited:

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
hey i never thought you were stupid :) i even said it could have been a new change.

i wonder what other changes were made... shake it and let me know if you hear a rattle... or plug in earphones and check for crackling... thx.

oh yeah, less breaking? AWESOME! but hey guys i was right and i'm not stupid! lol

edit: after taking off my case to look at the back, it seems to have it's glittery ness back though not as profound as previous models. It's just a certain angle to see it, you have to make the glass point almost towards the source of the light and it can't just be in a lighted room. That's a shame.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
hey i never thought you were stupid :) i even said it could have been a new change.

i wonder what other changes were made... shake it and let me know if you hear a rattle... or plug in earphones and check for crackling... thx.

People kept telling me to look in the light lol even though i was.
Well i still have static in the earpiece and slight rattle. None in headphones jack, though im not sure thats a very common problem

Sent from my Nexus 4

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well i still have static in the earpiece and slight rattle. None in headphones jack, though im not sure thats a very common problem

Sent from my Nexus 4

It's more common than you think but affects other phones too. Basically it's frequency so undo from the cell radio.

Pyroshane

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Nexus 4
While you still have the new phone, check the hardware version. Turn off the phone and turn it back on while holding down the volume down button. This will boot into the bootloader and there is a list of information towards the bottom of the screen. It seems like most of the launch models have been rev_10, with a few rev_11 mixed in. There is someone on XDA with a phone without the sparkle that is rev_12b. Then check the bottom of your box for the serial number (the serial number on the box is different from the serial number listed in the bootloader). The first three numbers correspond with the manufacture date of your phone. The first number is the year (it will be a 2, for 2012). The second and third numbers are the month (mine is 10, October). After the first three numbers, there is a letter which corresponds to the country of manufacture. Most (all?) of the launch day phones have had a K for Korea, but the sparkleless one on XDA has a C for China.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
While you still have the new phone, check the hardware version. Turn off the phone and turn it back on while holding down the volume down button. This will boot into the bootloader and there is a list of information towards the bottom of the screen. It seems like most of the launch models have been rev_10, with a few rev_11 mixed in. There is someone on XDA with a phone without the sparkle that is rev_12b. Then check the bottom of your box for the serial number (the serial number on the box is different from the serial number listed in the bootloader). The first three numbers correspond with the manufacture date of your phone. The first number is the year (it will be a 2, for 2012). The second and third numbers are the month (mine is 10, October). After the first three numbers, there is a letter which corresponds to the country of manufacture. Most (all?) of the launch day phones have had a K for Korea, but the sparkleless one on XDA has a C for China.

Got a rev_11 and the serial is 212K.
What is the 12? Does that just mean december or what?
And mine came from korea, guess google are just using two manufacturers instead of one instead of changing

Sent from my Nexus 4