Got some noob questions

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Alright so this is my first android device (woohoo!) and I have a couple questions
1. I'm not going to have a SIM card so how do I remove the notifications that says "Emergency calls only - no sim) in the lockscreen and pull down notifications
2. The app drawer thing (the circle with the six dots in it that's in the middle of the dock) can I edit that in anyway like ordering the icons?
3. How do I change the settings so the volume rocker never controls the ring volume?
Well that's it. for now.

alexc9r

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Alright so this is my first android device (woohoo!) and I have a couple questions
1. I'm not going to have a SIM card so how do I remove the notifications that says "Emergency calls only - no sim) in the lockscreen and pull down notifications
2. The app drawer thing (the circle with the six dots in it that's in the middle of the dock) can I edit that in anyway like ordering the icons?
3. How do I change the settings so the volume rocker never controls the ring volume?
Well that's it. for now.

1. The "Emergency Calls Only" aren't notifications. The lock screen and pull down notification bar shows your carrier. Since you aren't on a carrier, it says Emergency calls only. You can't turn this off.

2. You aren't able to move the app drawer button. You could try some 3rd party launchers to see if you can.

3. I don't think you can do that. But there is an app that allows to customize volumes. You can look at it to see if it would work for you. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...52b2x1bWVzZWxlY3Rvci5mcmVlIl0.&token=XyNJLnBW

You might be able to do those things if your rooted your phone and install a custom rom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well that's it. for now.

1.try turning on Airplane mode then enabling Wifi.

2. Will have to go with a 3rd party launcher or custom ROM

3. Never needed to change so can't say if an app will do it or would require root and a custom ROM

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Well that's it. for now.

1. That message is there because even phones without service or sims needs to be able to connect to 911. I've heard people suggest that disabling the dialer app might prevent calls from going out but I'm not sure if that'll drop the message you are seeing. I'm guessing that it wont'. You could root and ROM and there might be a way to remove the message. I honestly haven't looked into that though

2. it's in alpha order so with the stock launcher there isn't a way to reorder them. There maybe with a 3rd party launcher but I'm not sure. You have multiple home screens so can't you just add the others to those or to folders?

3. I think you'll need a custom ROM for that. There are a few that change how stock JB handle the ringtones.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Still says NO SIM in the lockscreen but oh well, better than nothing.
@digitalslacker Yeah I know why, I'm just using the phone as a media player and portable computer basically, used to use an ipod for that but the price of the Nexus 4 and specs and the OS brought me over.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Still says NO SIM in the lockscreen but oh well, better than nothing.
@digitalslacker Yeah I know why, I'm just using the phone as a media player and portable computer basically, used to use an ipod for that but the price of the Nexus 4 and specs and the OS brought me over.
install Nova launcher or Apex Launcher and you can customize the drawer anyway you like.

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
install Nova launcher or Apex Launcher and you can customize the drawer anyway you like.

How do you deal with all the permissions those launchers require, like the ability to make calls without your intervention and others?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
How do you deal with all the permissions those launchers require, like the ability to make calls without your intervention and others?
A lot of those permissions are bogus and default info. If you came from iOS you never see the permissions. Android tells you everything. Not to worry. Load it up.

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
A lot of those permissions are bogus and default info. If you came from iOS you never see the permissions. Android tells you everything. Not to worry. Load it up.

You may feel safe letting someone take control of your device without your permission but I for one am not comfortable with it. There is no reason to add bogus information in an apps permission description and there are no default permissions, if there were default permissions then there would not be any apps that say "This app needs no special permissions".

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
They're not bogus, they're telling you how the app will interact with your phone. The launcher controls the dialer, all your widgets, etc. Of course it needs to be able to make phone calls, access your files, etc., that's WHY you downloaded the launcher in the first place.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
They're not bogus, they're telling you how the app will interact with your phone. The launcher controls the dialer, all your widgets, etc. Of course it needs to be able to make phone calls, access your files, etc., that's WHY you downloaded the launcher in the first place.
Exactly. What I should have said was not bogus, but unfounded or overblown. The launcher needs to control things in order to work. If this russles any tinfoil hats then I suggest not using the app or any smart phone for that matter.

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. What I should have said was not bogus, but unfounded or overblown. The launcher needs to control things in order to work. If this russles any tinfoil hats then I suggest not using the app or any smart phone for that matter.

There is a big difference between bogus, unfounded, overblown and necessary. The post by Gone Down South explains some of why some of the permissions are their and why they are necessary. Thanks Gone Down South.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The info tells you everything that the app will know and i don't think there is a way to disagree on one of them like iOS. Well I have found a lot of weird things like a game needs to look at my phone calls and something? I mean i trusted the developer so i installed it anyways but that is really weird...
I understand for like launchers and VoIP or something but that was kind of weird. They don't say why they need though either, they just say they need and give a short explanation of what that means.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
There is a big difference between bogus, unfounded, overblown and necessary. The post by Gone Down South explains some of why some of the permissions are their and why they are necessary. Thanks Gone Down South.
The bigger question is what is on your phone that the app is accessing that you are you afraid about?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The info tells you everything that the app will know and i don't think there is a way to disagree on one of them like iOS. Well I have found a lot of weird things like a game needs to look at my phone calls and something? I mean i trusted the developer so i installed it anyways but that is really weird...
I understand for like launchers and VoIP or something but that was kind of weird. They don't say why they need though either, they just say they need and give a short explanation of what that means.
Google it. You'll find out and it will probably be listed on this forum. Been discussed many times.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
What is on the phone does not matter when it is a case of privacy.
Really? Sorry I disagree with that statement 1000%. The very concept of privacy is in order to protect something. If there is nothing to protect then what does it matter?

There have been many editorials on this topic on AC. Search and read up on it if you have time. Android states their access points on your phone to be upfront. It doesn't mean the dev is able to read your emails or listen to your phone calls.

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Really? Sorry I disagree with that statement 1000%. The very concept of privacy is in order to protect something. If there is nothing to protect then what does it matter?
Suppose you have nothing to hide but you don't know what the future may bring maybe you will put a credit card number on your phone next year. Except you have put an app that gives someone access to you phone when ever they want. Then a year from now they could steal your credit card number. Further when an identity thief goes looking they want to get all the information they can even apparently useless info. Like what the first car you owned was. Since that is a common question on sites that use security questions. Because it is personal information.

So you never know what you may need to keep private thus the desire to maintain your privacy with nothing to hide. It's not like what you post on the internet which is the same as shouting it on any street corner what is on your device is your business and nobody else's.

But you go ahead and let every one have access to your device/information I prefer not to.

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Suppose you have nothing to hide but you don't know what the future may bring maybe you will put a credit card number on your phone next year. Except you have put an app that gives someone access to you phone when ever they want. Then a year from now they could steal your credit card number. Further when an identity thief goes looking they want to get all the information they can even apparently useless info. Like what the first car you owned was. Since that is a common question on sites that use security questions. Because it is personal information.

So you never know what you may need to keep private thus the desire to maintain your privacy with nothing to hide. It's not like what you post on the internet which is the same as shouting it on any street corner what is on your device is your business and nobody else's.

But you go ahead and let every one have access to your device/information I prefer not to.
I think you are confusing apps with malware and/or viruses. You install trusted apps... Period. You don't install some random wing nut app that 4 people have tried. Nova Launcher is being used by millions of people. It's very safe.

And you never keep a copy of your credit card info. On your phone. That's a given.

You can remove your tinfoil hat now.

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I think you are confusing apps with malware and/or viruses. You install trusted apps... Period. You don't install some random wing nut app that 4 people have tried. Nova Launcher is being used by millions of people. It's very safe.
When you are checking out an app you can blindly accept that because a lot of people use it it is safe even though you do not know any of them. Or you can try and be a bit safer and research the app, check the permissions and discuss it on forums to help determine if it is a good app or some here to unknown app looking to cause the unsuspecting problems. I prefer to be a bit safer.

And you never keep a copy of your credit card info. On your phone. That's a given.
There is a world out there that disagrees with you and keep all their info on their phones. When I mentioned the credit card info I was not saying it was a good idea just picking something that could happen sometimes. You selected that bit of information but ignored the concept of apparent useless information that fits this discussion and is a good reason for considering privacy as not just to hide something but as something to be protected.
You can remove your tinfoil hat now.
Now you are making me paranoid thinking you can see me are you the developer of some app that gives camera permissions to let you use it without my permission. If so that would be a invasion of my privacy.:D

There again is another reason to not give away your privacy and that is if they can look at your information then they can use that information to send spam and more in your name.