Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DroidXcon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Media server?

Media server is taking a good 18% of my battery drain. What is that exactly? Wont say anything when i click it and what services is included

Sent from my Nexus 4

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: Media server?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    Media server is taking a good 18% of my battery drain. What is that exactly? Wont say anything when i click it and what services is included

Sent from my Nexus 4
    From what I understand media server does a couple things, it scans for media files to index. meaning everytime you mount your sdcard it gets scanned any media files it finds it indexes or catalogs the file into a media library , kind of like caching the file. it also is the go between the file and the player so it is used whenever you use a music player or whenever the system needs a sound like a alarm notification or when you receive a text message media server retrieves and delivers the chime. There are cases when media server goes crazy trying to index a corrupt file and you will see it shoot up towards 30 or 40% when not even playing music or anything . But this doesn't sound like that case. Also media server did not use 18% of your battery. it is just the percentage of the used battery. So lets say your your battery is 50% and media server used 18%. this does not mean that out of the 100% , 18% was media server. It means that out of the 50% , 18% of that was media server. So that means it only took up 9% out of the total 100% of the battery. I hope that makes sense.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:
    DogPsyche likes this.

My media server is at 58 percent and my battery is down to 75 percent. I have no idea why it is this high, but it is driving me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by dranderson623 View Post
    My media server is at 58 percent and my battery is down to 75 percent. I have no idea why it is this high, but it is driving me crazy.
    read above post. you probably have some corrupted music in the phone.

I don't have any music on my phone. I stream everything from either slacker or play music. Is this problem an sd card issue?

Quote Originally Posted by dranderson623 View Post
    I don't have any music on my phone. I stream everything from either slacker or play music. Is this problem an sd card issue?
    did you upload music to play music? the music you uploaded could be corrupted. google music will download the file.

try clearing data/cache for play music and give it a day or 2 to see it it drains again.