Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Lag & Rapid Battery Drain

    Was just wondering if this has happened to anyone recently with their N4's. This has happened twice recently so I think I can officially call it a problem. My homescreen will lose its smoothness and actually lag A LOT. Opening folders, you can see every frame as if its slow motion. Moving the homescreens back and forth causes severe lag.

    Also when it started happening, my phone went from 78% to 72% in about 60 seconds and continued to drain.

    Possible Causes: To be honest, I have no clue. I was just simply sending a few texts and then it started happening. I forgot what I was doing the last time it happened. But, I wasn't running a lot of apps. I was doing anything RAM heavy for it to slow down so I really have no clue what it could be.

    Methods I've tried to solve the problem: I looked at the apps running in the background, nothing seemed out of the ordinary but I stopped FB and Google magazines because those were consuming a lot of ram. I opened the multitasking window and swiped every app off. Both didn't work, only restarting the phone seems to solve the problem. Maybe i'll try uninstalling a few apps and see if that prevents it from happening again.

    Looking at the battery stats, the only thing out of the ordinary was the increasing use by the Google Play Store. Dont know why.

    Well, any thoughts on this guys? Anyone experience this before? Suggestions?
  2. #2  
    dbareis's Avatar

    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

    Default Re: Lag & Rapid Battery Drain

    I think the issue is with Android 4.2, my Samsung Galaxy Nexus has similar issues (and only since upgrading to 4.2), it will go for a while without any issues and then heat up and use battery. Normal USB charging (500ma) may or may not keep up with the battery drain. If I reboot it may or may not fix the issue, a few reboots normally do.

    When I get the issue it appears to be Android system that is using all the CPU and preventing the CPU from going into deep sleep (I use "CPU spy" and most often CPU stat is 350Mhz) . There do not appear to be any apps keeping the phone awake (no wake locks).

    Actually looking at CPU spy now the CPU state is mainly 350MHz, some 700Mhz and much less deep sleep. so something is using the CPU just not enough to drain my battery too quickly. Looks like TapaTalk has had 36 minutes of wake locks so in this instance that is (small) part of the problem as only about 6 of 21 hours has been in deep sleep... I should mention no app can be found with high CPU seconds consumed. "Android System" is constantly doing something though...
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Lag & Rapid Battery Drain

    Quote Originally Posted by DeadpoolJunior View Post
    Was just wondering if this has happened to anyone recently with their N4's. This has happened twice recently so I think I can officially call it a problem. My homescreen will lose its smoothness and actually lag A LOT. Opening folders, you can see every frame as if its slow motion. Moving the homescreens back and forth causes severe lag.

    Also when it started happening, my phone went from 78% to 72% in about 60 seconds and continued to drain.

    Possible Causes: To be honest, I have no clue. I was just simply sending a few texts and then it started happening. I forgot what I was doing the last time it happened. But, I wasn't running a lot of apps. I was doing anything RAM heavy for it to slow down so I really have no clue what it could be.

    Methods I've tried to solve the problem: I looked at the apps running in the background, nothing seemed out of the ordinary but I stopped FB and Google magazines because those were consuming a lot of ram. I opened the multitasking window and swiped every app off. Both didn't work, only restarting the phone seems to solve the problem. Maybe i'll try uninstalling a few apps and see if that prevents it from happening again.

    Looking at the battery stats, the only thing out of the ordinary was the increasing use by the Google Play Store. Dont know why.

    Well, any thoughts on this guys? Anyone experience this before? Suggestions?
    I think I might know what it was. Your apps in the play store were updating. I have noticed this happening before. Especially when I have a bunch of apps running then a lot of apps trying to update.

    You can check to have your apps only update manually.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Lag & Rapid Battery Drain

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I think I might know what it was. Your apps in the play store were updating. I have noticed this happening before. Especially when I have a bunch of apps running then a lot of apps trying to update.

    You can check to have your apps only update manually.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    I couldn't imagine it being simple apps updating, unless he has 300 of them.

    My guess is a 4.2 issue... Hope Google pushes out an update in the coming weeks for the various bugs.
  5. #5  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Lag & Rapid Battery Drain

    Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    I couldn't imagine it being simple apps updating, unless he has 300 of them.

    My guess is a 4.2 issue... Hope Google pushes out an update in the coming weeks for the various bugs.
    I would be surprised to see this much lag on the N4 as it seems to blow through anything you throw at it, but on my SGS2 I got this all the time. Especially when running Go Launcher.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Lag & Rapid Battery Drain

    Thanks folks. The problem happened again today, but without the lag. Battery went crazy and started draining rapidly. Rebooted it, all is well now. I truly hope its a bug that an update in the coming weeks will fix. I can live with rebooting my phone for now, but i'd rather now have to.

    I think I might know what it was. Your apps in the play store were updating. I have noticed this happening before. Especially when I have a bunch of apps running then a lot of apps trying to update.
    I doubt it. I didn't see any updates in my notification tray for apps that had been updated. I've never actually even set any apps to auto update. I'd rather read what i'm updating before deciding to go ahead with it.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Lag & Rapid Battery Drain

    Sounds to me like a bad app, or one that isn't running well on JB. Unfortunately, without doing a factory reset and not installing any of your downloaded apps, there's no way to figure out which one it might be. I've not seen any of the problems you describe in the few weeks I've had my N4 (nor my wife's N4). We don't use facebook (prefer to actually talk to people I call friends), so you might try deleting that one for a few days and see if it helps. Who knows. you might discover you have more time to spend with the people that really matter...
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Similar Threads

  1. HTC Vivid Rapid battery drain
    By jayjay1o1 in forum Vivid Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-21-2013, 02:37 AM
  2. Rapid Battery Drain
    By carguy10 in forum Sprint Nexus S 4G
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 11:55 AM
  3. Rapid Battery Drain & Hot Phone
    By faharrison in forum HTC Vivid
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2012, 06:54 PM
  4. Rapid Battery Drain & Hot Phone
    By faharrison in forum Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-27-2012, 04:01 PM
  5. Rapid battery drain - a recent development
    By philosopherisdog in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 09:07 PM

Posting Permissions

B