Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Slow data speeds on AT&T

So I just got the nexus 4 and have been doing some speed tests using att network. I used speed test.net and my data speeds are pathetic at best. I know I wont be getting LTE but hspa+ should be getting more than 1mbps download. I'm achieving only 9 kbps download and 1557kbps upload. Is there something I need to tweak to achieve faster speeds or could I have a defective phone? Any tips would be great.

thanks,
    Mike

Default Re: Slow data speeds on AT&T

Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

Quote Originally Posted by hkdflip2 View Post
    So I just got the nexus 4 and have been doing some speed tests using att network. I used speed test.net and my data speeds are pathetic at best. I know I wont be getting LTE but hspa+ should be getting more than 1mbps download. I'm achieving only 9 kbps download and 1557kbps upload. Is there something I need to tweak to achieve faster speeds or could I have a defective phone? Any tips would be great.

thanks,
    Mike

[APN][AT&T][MMS][HSPA+] Single APN for HSPA+ Speeds AND MMS - (Updated 1/1) - xda-developers

Use those APN settings. They work great for me. I get about 7-8 DL in the Miami Area. Plenty fast for a phone.

The correct APN settings will improve your speeds, but wont come close to TMobile speeds.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

So I'm trying to edit the APN settings and I followed the links you guys sent me. However I select save but when I exit out I don't have anything there to select with the new values. Any suggestions ?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Scratch that got it to work and now I'm getting around 3mbps and 1 upload. Is there specific settings for chicagoland area ?

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

9Mbps sounds pretty good for ATT. In LA, I typically get 5-10Mbps on ATT's LTE w/ my GS2 Skyrocket (though it's faster here in San Francisco). Maybe it's just the particular area you're in?
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hkdflip2 View Post

thanks,
    Mike
    9 MBPS down and 1.5 up? What are you complaining about? Those are pretty much on par what you're supposed to get with AT&T HSPA+ and those are great speeds. I average around 5 mbps down and everything that involves data works pretty fast.
    Last edited by jd914; 01-02-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    9 MBPS down and 1.5 up? What are you complaining about? Those are pretty much on par what you're supposed to get with AT&T HSPA+ and those are great speeds. I average around 5 mbps down and everything that involves data works pretty fast.
    Yea, I should get off of Sprint now.

What do you all believe is faster for the Nexus 4, AT&T or T-Mobile?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Taco View Post
    Yea, I should get off of Sprint now.

What do you all believe is faster for the Nexus 4, AT&T or T-Mobile?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah you need to get off Sprint, they are a terrible provider, their 3G speeds are poor and they are CDMA.

TMobile HSPA+ speeds are faster than AT&T but TMobile's coverage is not good outside major metropolitan areas. AT&T's still has good speeds but aren't as good as TMobile but their coverage footprint blows TMobile's away hands down. IMO if you have over 3 MBPS you are good to go. I live in upstate NY away from a major city and I have gotten as much as 9 MBPS down with AT&T. Tmobile's coverage up here is sporadic to nonexistent.
    Thanked by:

Hes getting 9kbps not mbps.

Sent from my SGH-I896 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimrebello View Post
    Hes getting 9kbps not mbps.

Sent from my SGH-I896 using Android Central Forums
    My bad. I didn't read carefully either haha.

Global Posts
    362 Global Posts

TMobile HSPA+ speeds are faster than AT&T but TMobile's coverage is not good outside major metropolitan areas. AT&T's still has good speeds but aren't as good as TMobile but their coverage footprint blows TMobile's away hands down. IMO if you have over 3 MBPS you are good to go. I live in upstate NY away from a major city and I have gotten as much as 9 MBPS down with AT&T. Tmobile's coverage up here is sporadic to nonexistent.
    Agree 100%. I'm on my 2nd month now of TMobile prepaid $30 service and while I'm "satisfied" with the service so far, I'm going to try ST AT&T for next month. I'm in the Atlanta area and while my TMobile speeds have been awesome at my house/around town (~12-18MBPS), I get almost zero building penetration at work during the week. I'll get an email notification like twice a day, where I should be getting them like 20 a day, at least. And this is a huge dealbreaker for me. Can't use any data connection hardly.
    I know ST AT&T will probably yield slower data speeds, but being able to use my phone for where I am 80% of a 7 day week is more important to me. I love the $30 price and 5GB unlimited data before throttle, where ST has all the "2GB" throttle BS limit, I'll have to try it. Some people say they have no problems with ST, while others do. I'll have to make my own decision.

how have you guys been testing your speeds? The speed test app always finds servers in the midwest and I live in CA so I'm not sure what my actual speeds are.

Make sure your using the correct APN settings and it should find local servers to test.

Quote Originally Posted by Jnorton2724 View Post
    Make sure your using the correct APN settings and it should find local servers to test.

I was using the wap.cigular APN and I just switched it to one linked above. This time the Speedtest app found Portland, OR to be the closest server and I ended up getting 1.94 mb/s download, 0.96 mb/s upload and 94 ms ping.

Should my speeds be better? Is there anything else I can do to improve it.? I'm not sure if my AT&T plan has anything to do with this but I know I have the unlimited data package.

he wrote 9 KBPS, not 9 MBPS.

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts

I getbslow speeds too in my home area but if I go about to a larger city with 4g lte available my speeds improve greatly. Id say blame the network not the phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2